Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are these plugs oily? And what about gapping?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Are these plugs oily? And what about gapping? Reply with quote

My first voyage into servicing my own engine. My 85 vanagen. usually starts without any gas and bops around town so nice. But a few times it hasn't wanted to start then I put some gas and perhaps flood it (once it started easy 20 min later once I had to wait overnight) the over night time it backfired on start up. I pulled the plugs. Here is a picture of one they all look the same. I am not sure if this matches an oil laden plug or if its just black. Also the gapping was off between the 4 plugs one as tight at .25 one as wide as .37. Would this cause starting problems?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yes there is some dirt on the threads I will wipe it off.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

Definitely will cause start problems - get some new plugs and replace, then practice cleaning and gapping on the old.

and

WELCOME TO THE VANAMADNESS!!
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Definitely will cause start problems - get some new plugs and replace, then practice cleaning and gapping on the old.

and should I expect new plugs to oil up fast? Im not sure if you ment these are oily

WELCOME TO THE VANAMADNESS!!

happy to hear and good idea with the practice. What do you recommend for best plugs. I am not a perfectionist but am scared to death to drop another 1,500 on this van later.

And yes I have recently gone van mad. I just bought a 71 bayview to drive from CA to Cleveland next week so I can sell it. Never done anything like that before so yes I am Vanmad right now.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

.25 is a quarter of an inch and .37 is 3/8ths of an inch. im pretty sure you mean .024 and .037? i hope.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

NGK Spark Plugs - BP6ET are what I used and are favored by many.

Here is one handy source:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132562308638

Harbor freight makes a decent plug cleaner if you have compressed air available.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

use a matchbook if you dont have a feeler.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
.25 is a quarter of an inch and .37 is 3/8ths of an inch. im pretty sure you mean .024 and .037? i hope.

yes thanks
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

aslo i have never heard it called a 'bayview' is that a local thing? interesting!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:

That sounds a bit small - sure you're not thinking of the old trick of using a matchbook/match to set points?
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
aslo i have never heard it called a 'bayview' is that a local thing? interesting!

No I guess I made that up in my mind while I was typing . The rest of the world calls it a bay window.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:

That sounds a bit small - sure you're not thinking of the old trick of using a matchbook/match to set points?

yeah i think im thinkin of points, i always thought a plug gap was a 1/6th?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

plug gap is .026"+/-.002" Smile

NGKs, hands down.
BP6ET--which you wont need to gap--is my best choice.
BP6ES--which you also won't need to gap--if you like the older style.
il like the P ones with the Projected electrode Smile

spark plugs and have the injectors cleaned/flow tested. change the injector seals while you're there and you've got a good starting point.

good luck with that epic bay window journey, OP Cool

Last edited by borninabus on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:
i always thought a plug gap was a 1/6th?

1/6th of what?

like.024 ish or 3mm Smile even on french motors theyre the same.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

mils are sometimes thou's so i guess technically you could say 3 10 thousandths of an inch ,or you could say 3 milimeters, but three mil can also mean 3 thousandths. or 1/40 th of a millimeter.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
NGK BP6ET--which you wont need to gap--is my best choice.

Long used those, too, and just put a set of these in. All were above the recommended gap, one was sloppy enough I'd guess .036" or better.

Closing a gap is never as nice as opening one. Smile

And Yes, your plug looks quite rich. Are they all like that?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: are these plugs oily? and what about gapping? Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:

spark plugs and have the injectors cleaned/flow tested. change the injector seals while you're there and you've got a good starting point.

good luck with that epic bay window journey, OP Cool

yeah I did everything carefully and this morning it started up . Then I drove it 20 feet and stopped it cause I forgot something in the house. When I tried to start it a minute later It coughed instead of starting. 20 minutes later it started.

I will follow through with your next steps after my epic bay window journey . Is there a map of recommended dub mechanics for fools like me? I will drive from shop to shop till I get to Cleveland.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Are these plugs oily? And what about gapping? Reply with quote

The thickness of your finger nail, is close, most think plugs come prepared gapped, yes they do, but NOT for a vanagon, they are pretty gapped for the car the manufacturers think will use the most, modern ignition systems are more powerful, and can jump a big spark across a bigger gap, with a less powerful ignition system jumping a bigger gap, will weaken the spark.

Use NGK BP6ET plugs Wink

619 201 0310
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: