Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove a type 4 distributor?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexwheatley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Hi guys
I’ve not worked on a type 4 motor before and need some advice please.
I’m trying to install electronic points on my dizzy
But can’t see how to loosen it.
I need to rotate the dizzy so I can get to the screw that holds the rubber bush in place where the cable passes through.
Cheers 🤙
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Too bad you went and turned it, removing the single 13mm nut that holds the clamp to the case is the way I do it, then it can only go back in one way.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Too bad you went and turned it, removing the single 13mm nut that holds the clamp to the case is the way I do it, then it can only go back in one way.

Yes.....removing that single 13mm nut would have been the way to go. It would be close upon just dropping it back in.....but he is goimg to need to timeit way different anyway. The timing position difference between points and replacement modules is usually quite a bit. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Mark the distributor position so you can put it back to where it was.
Easiest way to do dist. Work is to remove it. See the small hole in the flat plate (dist clamp). There is a 13mm nut and washer there. Remove those and pull the dist. Out.
If you want to turn it, mark its position. The hexagon sticking out of where the split is. Loosen that with a 10 mm wrench.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

let's hope he doesn't have FI.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

You don't say where you live, but it can be a real bitch to get the distributor out on a rig that has seen a lot of road salts.
Alexwheatley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

I haven’t moved it yet so all good. The vacuum unit is sitting directly over the top of the 13mm nut so not sure how to get to it without turning the dizzy or making up a right angle spanner.
My engine is fuel injected so there’s parts of that on the other side of the dizzy making it very hard to see.
Hence getting some advice from you good folks.
Thanks for the picture of the clamp 👍

Last edited by Alexwheatley on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
let's hope he doesn't have FI.

But most vendors say it works with everything and makes your life carefree and easy, isn't that what it's all about? Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

My suggestion is that you make 100% sure that the engine is at TDC getting ready for cylinder #1 to fire. Then loosen the horizontal 10mm barrel nut and get the distributor to swing to allow you access to the 13mm distributor hold down nut.

Sometimes they do not want to come out and you will need to wiggle pretty good. If the O -ring is not good, replace with a real Bosch O-ring for $1.

You will have to retime the engine anyway when you do this change with a real timing light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Double check with the electronic points manufacturer about there product working with 197? L-jetronic fuel injection. To date I know of no electronic points that works with fuel injection.
There have been many reports of the electronic points causing drive ability problems.

Good luck
Tcash
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Yeah, they can be in a poor position. I actually rotated mine 90 degrees and moved the wires so it is in a better position to time and adjust. That vacuum can kept hitting the CSV. Much better now.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Double check with the electronic points manufacturer about there product working with 197? L-jetronic fuel injection. To date I know of no electronic points that works with fuel injection.
There have been many reports of the electronic points causing drive ability problems.

Good luck
Tcash

I have had a Coumpufire forever running FI that has always worked fine for me..
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

I have had a Coumpufire forever running FI that has always worked fine for me..

Compufire, do you happen to have a part number or model number?
Thank you
Tcash
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

It is just a points replacement module (I think I got it from aircooled), I have a Pertronics in the other bus with no issues.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Pertronix 1847v will work just fine with your FI

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Alexwheatley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

So I’ve successfully installed the electronic points.
Just wandering what timing you guys recommend for 2L fuel injected type 4.
Also gunna change the plugs so what gap you recommend.
Cheers 🤙
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Compufire, do you happen to have a part number or model number?

Compu-Fire 21101 works with a bus distributor. Also sold as CF-1000-VW2.

Alexwheatley wrote:
Just wandering what timing you guys recommend for 2L fuel injected type 4.
Also gunna change the plugs so what gap you recommend.

From the Bentley manual and your 2.0 l FI bus:

Timing: please double-check for your engine/distributor (*), but generally 7.5° BTDC for single vacuum distributor, and 5° ATDC for dual vacuum (**)
Spark plug gap: 0.028" (0.7 mm)

(*) Look up the timing on the sticker behind the engine lid, or look at the timing tables for your engine on Bentley
(**) An alternative is to set timing at full mechanical advance to 28-32° BTDC at 3500+ rpm. Here's a sample of what other folks here do, but you can do a search to learn more:

Wildthings wrote:
[...]there is a range of 28-32° BTDC, but experience has shown that 28° works fine with the engine running a bit cooler. I run my engine at 28° BTDC during the hotter month and bump it up to 30-32° during the cooler ones.

Decode your M-Plate
Alexwheatley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

Thanks guys
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove a type 4 distributor? Reply with quote

To set timing at full mechanical advance, 28° BTDC, you need to remove the vacuum hose(s) from the distributor and rev the engine to 3500+ rpm. This will mimic full throttle high rpm running, when you want the most from your engine.

Before reattaching the hoses to the vacuum can, you need to verify that the cam actually holds vacuum and that the breaker plate in the distributor moves when you apply vacuum to the nipple(s).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: