Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split bus as prop in marketing and advertising
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

from Shape and Vogue Spain magazines:
the photo in the Shape ad is flipped horizontally.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

What, they couldn't find any good looking Babes for that photo shoot ?? Laughing Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

First thing I noticed, was and how ironic, says "family" but there is No man in that family!
A young boy being raised by a mum, 2 other women in 1 shot...the media has totally disregarded the male, and if they put us into an add a straight male is usallt6 shown as a doofus...
1 long legged foxy mama, that surfs plays the guitar and raises 2 kids on her own,is how I interpreted that whole shoot... Embarassed that's my rant Laughing
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

She has a pretty.

Oh look! A Bus back there! Neat.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Nice Camper.

The pop-outs look a bit weird with black pop-out frames
The wipers have a lot of travel - they go past the glass. Smile

The "crappy" photos look like behind the scenes shots, it's not part of the family.
Obviously the dad is taking the photos so he couldn't be in the shots. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Ahhhhh...thx Ev.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Pop-outs? I figured they were stationary windows. Someone probably replaced the wiper motor as part of a 12-volt conversion. One photo is obviously a mirror image of another. Oh, yes she's cute.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
First thing I noticed, was and how ironic, says "family" but there is No man in that family!
A young boy being raised by a mum, 2 other women in 1 shot...the media has totally disregarded the male, and if they put us into an add a straight male is usallt6 shown as a doofus...
1 long legged foxy mama, that surfs plays the guitar and raises 2 kids on her own,is how I interpreted that whole shoot... Embarassed that's my rant Laughing
Cheers Thomas

Therapy?

Someone is trying to sell stuff using advertising. The message is that if you buy the stuff, you'll have a beautiful family, have fun, and look good too.
Get a grip. Lots of ads are aimed at males. Maybe not the ones in Vogue or Shape, so much, though. Wink

http://shapemediakit.com/brand-overview/demographic-profile-2
Their readership is 91% female.

by comparison, thesamba's demographic is 96% male
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/banners.php

I'm sure there there are ads with hot dudes and buses in them as well. Find a few to add to this thread and feel better! Very Happy

I hear there's an upcoming Subway commercial with a split bus in it.

Safari windows, wipers with disconnects were moved to get a better view of the models' faces, perhaps.

Yes many family photos were taken by the dad, so he's not in the picture. I posted a few old family pics on this site, from when I was a kid. You'ld think I have no dad.
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Nice prop...
You got to love a semaphored so23 Westy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

OK, now I see the popout latch and safari hardware. I usually pay very little attention to advertising
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
A young boy being raised by a mum, 2 other women in 1 shot...the media......

If we are going to dissect the image socially, lets look at the models. Of course, these are people whose job is to look good. They spend hours every day working on looking good. If it was your job to look good, you could spend more time on it. (could put a catty comment here)

If you complain there are no men in the cast, the adult female model (BMI <18.5) hardly is representative. Having BMI < 18.5 (underweight) is only 9.7 % of the American female population. People, the average male bmi is 28.6. (194 lbs for a 5' 9" guy)
If the same guys weight was 129 his bmi would be 19.
That model is skinnier than that. She does not represent the average woman.
It is more likely for someone to be obese (BMI over 30) than underweight (BMI under 18.5).
And she is white, and blond, so the % of population like her is narrower.

Not that advertising is representative of the real world (THIS is the point). It is someone creating a story to sell stuff.

Interesting that you actually pointed out that they are creating a story ... often that just going right by people's notice. I wouldn't blame ' the media'. This is advertisement. Companies are selling you stuff. Whey are they creating this story? Why did they choose these models and not others? What are they selling, and to who? Why put a VW bus in there? Does it add up to a gestalt that makes you what to buy they are selling?
It was all chosen for a reason... to sell stuff. We (on the samba) like that there is a split bus... it reflects our interests back at us and validates us. Shows living the dream.... get a VW camper and you can have great vacations and be attractive. Isn't that why we have these cars? It makes us more likely to buy their stuff.
But the advertisement images do shape people's ideas of how our lives should be. So it's good to be aware of the messages thrown at us all the time.

While the models are attractive, it is kinda creepy for people to make comments on how foxy they are, holding them up for sexual objectification. And the outfit isn't even low cut.

Does that make you feel better about there being no male models in the shoot? I've noticed more male models these days in ads showing off their sexy abs, and wonder if it makes the average guy feel bad in comparison. Just sayin'.

Are you going to rant that she doesn't look like the average woman/ Mom (about 170 lbs, gain about 60lbs), and there is no male model of about 191 lbs acting the Dad part? Smile

Okay, analytical thinking off. I think the left vent wing latch is broken.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Sex sells. To both men and woman. I don't find this ad offensive.

A woman doesn't need a low cut outfit to be attractive nor does she need to be rail thin but we all have our preferences. Shes also pretty tall and more than likely more than 5'4' which is the average height for an American woman.

The most offensive thing in that ad is that some kook put the boards on backwards.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Wow Clara I sure ruffled your feathers sorry if I offended you..geeze
Cheers Thomas a

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Its obvious that the mom is emaciated from lack of food due to the costs of owning a split bus. She is also run ragged chasing those kids around. Poor lady, hopefully the modeling work will put some food on the table in the westy, which they are probably living in due to high rent costs in southern california.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

I thought that the discussion might go in the direction of mimetic desire, how the not-so-infrequent uses of the image of the split bus in the marketing of any product subtly increase the popularity of the bus among the general population, outside of the hobby.
You guys are talking about mammetic desire.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
I thought that the discussion might go in the direction of mimetic desire, how the not-so-infrequent uses of the image of the split bus in the marketing of any product subtly increase the popularity of the bus among the general population, outside of the hobby.
You guys are talking about mammetic desire.

That is something that I think is huge. I see split bus references all over the place. If you see a sticker of a vehicle that is on a totally different vehicle, it is usually a split bus sticker. I see people with split bus T-shirts out in public, and they usually don't have split buses (yes, I ask). Print advertising is rotten with split buses. Its just weird that these goofy buses are so damn popular.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Oddly, the human brain is simple. It hasn’t changed in eons, attraction towards the opposite sex hasn’t changed and expecting it to is part of the attractiveness dynamic.
The images represent cultural icons, lasting power, With his young woman and their kids.
She doesn’t want him to change, she loves what she has, time to “spend” on a vacation. Time to prove to her that he loves her, by spending time with her. Its all about time.

Most advertising, women are the target audience.

Its not just about who reads and buys, but also who the seller is. Would like to see the article.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Those are not spanish car plates...wonder where they are from...look balkanic to me
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

That is something that I think is huge. I see split bus references all over the place. If you see a sticker of a vehicle that is on a totally different vehicle, it is usually a split bus sticker. I see people with split bus T-shirts out in public, and they usually don't have split buses (yes, I ask). Print advertising is rotten with split buses. Its just weird that these goofy buses are so damn popular.

The frequency of buses in advertising/merchandizing has increased as the prices increase. That is not a major driver of value, but if it has an effect on desirability it is positive.
I imagine that using the bus or an image of it in marketing is contrived to reach the public at a deeper level; like puppies:

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: split bus as prop in marketing and advertising Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Wow Clara I sure ruffled your feathers sorry if I offended you..geeze
Cheers Thomas a

That's sort of a disappointing response. I had thought you were thinking about ad messages, which is interesting.
We are surrounded by ad messages all the time. Critical thinking is good.

Not really ruffled... just responding to your comments about feeling left out as a target audience for an ad in Vogue. Not that there is anything wrong with guys reading fashion magazines. Just a little social commentary on advertising, seeing as you brought it up. It's good to look at an ad and think about the messages they are sending, rather than just accept them blindly and with question.
Very Happy

I don't think the ad is offensive either. Happy people having fun at the beach, with a split bus! YAY!
Though I can tell that model does not work out by lifting weights at 168 inch pounds. No muscle tone. Evidently that is the (or a) look they like to show.

I wouldn't agree that for most advertising women are the target audience. In a magazine where 91% of the readership is female, ya, sure, I could see it. But men have just as much buying power as women. You could even argue convincingly that men have more.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gender-wage-pay-gap-charts-2017-3

Aren't there more ads out there with split buses in?

I keep seeing a Bay by a river in a soft drink commercial about how they are committed to clean water, and it makes me wonder if it is leaking oil. Sorry, just being snarky. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: