Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

June '67 Westy outlet location
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillansii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: June '67 Westy outlet location Reply with quote

Topic change:
I am currently restoring a 67 So42 (a42)
I’ve taken apart at least 7 So42 but this is my first time
Pulling apart a mid year 1967
Is this little cover a 67 only thing?
I’ve never seen one before.
I am 100% sure this bus has never been altered in any way. 100% OG.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

Yes, definitely original. I have one on my 01/03/67 built SO42.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

Means "Danger, electrical":

https://www.labelbar.co.uk/health-safety-labels-c1...bels-p1423
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

Can't speak from personal experience whether or not that is original but you would think that if the factory did it at least they would be able to make the hole square with right angles etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Can't speak from personal experience whether or not that is original but you would think that if the factory did it at least they would be able to make the hole square with right angles etc.

My interior has that cover, and the hole it covers is ragged as well. The hole through the floor for my icebox drain looks as if it were made with a trowel.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

Holy Crap! Another bit of minutia that us '67 Westy owners have to try to duplicate! It never ends! I wonder who will be the first to duplicate and start selling the reproduction of that electrical warning decal? I'll get in that line of buyers...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

Wow, never noticed this (I don't think we have ever removed that seat). Just ran out to ours (1967 SO-42), and indeed, it's there. Very thin, swivels with just enough friction to stay in place.

I assume ours has the electrical warning, but couldn't see from this angle.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Holy Crap! Another bit of minutia that us '67 Westy owners have to try to duplicate! It never ends! I wonder who will be the first to duplicate and start selling the reproduction of that electrical warning decal? I'll get in that line of buyers...

Bill

The cover is 142 mm long and 80 mm wide.
The decal is 18 mm by 30 mm.
The cover is unvarnished.
The decal is a water decal, very light translucent yellow/tan, the wood grain shows through.
The hole in the paneling is not as rough as I had remembered it was.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

...and now for a very stupid question...

What IS that electrical connection?
Something to do with the wall sconce lights? ...dome lights too?
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
...and now for a very stupid question...

What IS that electrical connection?
Something to do with the wall sconce lights? ...dome lights too?

That cover conceals the 120 volt wiring and access hole on the inside of the bus on the wall next to the jump seat. It will not be there unless the outlet is on the side of the bus. If you have an early '67 you may have the outlet over the left taillight.
I made up and ordered 20 plastic stickers. I'll give them to late '67 owners whether they turn out well or not. It is a small sticker and they have trouble cutting out the small ones and staying in the lines. I'll let this thread know when they come in if they are worth the trouble to send out.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

pillansii wrote:
Topic change:
I am currently restoring a 67 So42 (a42)
I am 100% sure this bus has never been altered in any way. 100% OG.

When did the duplex outlet move from there to the face of the jumpseat in '67?
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

I know I’ve seen what you’re asking about, but I don’t remember on what. On second thought, it doesn’t make sense putting it on the front of the rear-facing seat if the furniture is designed to be removed. I’m thinking that I saw it on an OTW or a custom interior?
pillansii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

As far as I know the outlet being on the jumpseat is a bay window thing.
No split windows had it on the jumpseat.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

August of '67? Smile

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

pillansii wrote:
As far as I know the outlet being on the jumpseat is a bay window thing.
No split windows had it on the jumpseat.

Well, of cause I cannot guarantee that all my interior was original or somewhen replaced, but my June 67 built (July delivered) SO42 has the outlet in front of the seat. It looks like original to me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pillansii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

Do you have a photo?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

Here's mine. June 19, 1967 German delivery tourist program. Bought from the original owner.

Yes I've freshened up the items with the same original pieces but not modified anything. The wire hole is just above the sliding latch and there is no cover plate. To remove the seat you have to unscrew the wires from the fuse thing.

Here's the outside location for the inlet.

Are you guys with the outlet on the long wall have the inlet lower and further forward?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Here's mine. June 19, 1967 German delivery tourist program. Bought from the original owner.

Yes I've freshened up the items with the same original pieces but not modified anything. The wire hole is just above the sliding latch and there is no cover plate. To remove the seat you have to unscrew the wires from the fuse thing.

Here's the outside location for the inlet.

Are you guys with the outlet on the long wall have the inlet lower and further forward?

Thanks "BarryL"... I was about to ask about typical location of the outside city power inlet plug assembly. I have a Jan 1967 non walk-thru Kombi that was converted when brand new into a Sundial Camper on a California Volkswagen Dealership lot. Mine was odd in that it was a converted Kombi, not a Panel which is what was usually converted. Anyway, way back in 1984 once I purchased it and drove it back to Missouri, I stripped it and bought an entire Westy interior from a non-walk-thru 1966 or 1967 Westfalia SO-42 in a VW salvage yard. I restored and painted the Bus (two-tone metallic paint) and then installed the Westy SO-42 interior and louver windows, throwing away the old Sundial stuff. I have a complete pop-top assembly cut out of a wrecked Westy back in the late 80's that I am also looking forward to splicing onto my Campmobile soon. One other thing I never converted was adding the "city power" 110 volt wiring and inner and outer wall outlet assemblies (I have them!). So I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the long side panel to install the exterior power inlet assembly and I was wondering about how consistent the guys/gals at Westfalia were about the inner and outer inlet/outlet placement. Any thoughts/photos/measurements? My "butt cheeks" are sure gonna pucker up tight the moment I approach that nice paint job with a hole saw... I'd like to do it right!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Thu May 31, 2018 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

I‘m happy BarryL that our buses look like havi g the same specs. I think also the side power plug hole is different. As far as I remember, the earlier once have a round hole in the wall. Here is mine:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Traders Reply with quote

swiss_bulli wrote:
I‘m happy BarryL that our buses look like havi g the same specs. I think also the side power plug hole is different. As far as I remember, the earlier once have a round hole in the wall. Here is mine:

Earlier busses(like my '65 SO42) have the shore powere in the left rear corner just above the tail light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: