Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft Pulley Installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigworm0860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Can anyone offer some advice on installing a crankshaft pulley. I found only one video on youtube and the guy boiled his in water for 5 minutes before putting it on. Another guy recommended putting it in the oven. I'm hesitant to try this method. Is there any other ways?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

They do what? Boil that pulley! I never did heat mine up. Now I like the degree pullies. They are cheap aluminum and stretch to fit and it's better to never take one of and put it back on because it will be a little loose fitting the more you take it off and put it back on but the steel pulleys don't do that.

Nothing wrong with heating it in the oven if it's clean probably could heat it to 300' F or so without issue. Just check the threads on the crank and the pulley nut that they are good. I just use grease on mine.

If you have a sand seal make sure that you have the right pulley for it don't heat the pulley very much, wouldn't want to burn the seal.

Don't over tighten the pulley, they don't need to be as tight as the flywheel. Probably 32'/lbs is plenty?

All torque specifications for engine bolts and screws.

The insides look like this on a stock non-sand seal pulley case, Note the oil slinger washer is held in place inside the case by the pulley. Stock Style Pulleys have oil threads on the pulley that direct any oil to the slinger washer and the oil goes back in the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oil Threads on a stock pulley:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

I don't know about the crankshaft pulley, but the cam gear I boil in vegetable oil before installing. The crankshaft pulley usually slides right in when tightening the bolt.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

I just throw the crank cam gear and brass crank gear on the electric stove top on medium-low heat check them with the IR thermometer an make sure they don't go over 350' F and I have been known to put the crankshaft in the freezer the night before. I wear leather gloves to handle the hot gears. The whole thing usually takes place on the kitchen floor. When I have frozen the crank, heated gears drop into place. With the crank room temp, and the gears hot, the gears usually get stuck but go on most of the way and I use a drift to seat them.
bigworm0860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the responses. Very helpful. I'm going with a chrome stock style EMPI pulley I got from JBugs. I feel better about putting it in the oven at 300 degrees but not sure how long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

bigworm0860 wrote:
Thank you guys for the responses. Very helpful. I'm going with a chrome stock style EMPI pulley I got from JBugs. I feel better about putting it in the oven at 300 degrees but not sure how long.

Should just slide on with no heating, and if not you should sand the inside of the pulley so it will slide on.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

If you go with a chrome one sand the V-groove with 150 sandpaper to roughen up so the belt doesn't slip. 350 for 10 min.s in a pre-heated oven, use oven mitts, and move fast to the crank and slide it on fast or it will heat the crank and keep an eye on the woodruff key. A little anti-seize will do wonders on the crank if you get stuck 1/2 way.
bigworm0860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Sanding the inside of the pulley won't mess nothing up?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Have you just tried putting it on as is, like a test run? If you can measure the inside and compare to the crank, THAT would me ideal.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

bigworm0860 wrote:
Sanding the inside of the pulley won't mess nothing up?

Have done it for decades now with stock pulleys. Sand around the inside in same direction as if you were to spin the pulley on your finger.

Then try pushing the pulley on by hand till you feel it get snug. Remove pulley and you will see the scratches from the crankshaft on the inside of the pulley easily because the sanding scratches you put on the surface will be going 90 degrees from the installation scratches. Sand the places that have the installation scratches from the crank as same direction as those scratches. When you feel you might have sanded enough, sand the entire ID surface in spin direction till all the surface looks the same.

Test fit the pulley again and repeat previous steps till the pulley slips onto the crankshaft easily. Add a little grease to the surfaces to prevent them rusting together down the road.

Wipe off all the grit from sanding each time to prevent getting that in the engine.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Should just slide on with no heating...

↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑

It's not a good idea to force that pulley on, or need to expand the bore with heat to make it fit. As E&B said, it should slide on with minimal effort. If you're forcing it on, it'll be a bitch to get it off should you need to and it'll require a puller to do so. And don't ever try to beat a stock pulley off with a hammer either...they bend quite easily.

Sometimes it's the key slot that hangs things up. Make sure there are no burrs in there and that the corners of the slot are clean & sharp. A little light oil or anti-seize paste in the bore can help the pulley slide on a little easier too.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

I was told long ago that a good aluminum pulley should fit tighter because They will expand more than steel. But bets are off with anything empi. Especially chrome empi.
bigworm0860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Thank all of you again for the responses. I tried the oven method. The pulley went on about half way and got stuck. I tried lightly tapping it on with a rubber mallet at first. Then got pissed and hit it harder and ultimately bent it. Of course I had to remove it with a pulley remover and further destroyed a brand new pulley. So, awaiting another one (I have to order everything) and will most likely try the sanding method.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Damn, sorry to hear that. Please do keep us all updated. Sad
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

End your problems and find a used steel pully and paint it. If you insist on Empi Junk (it's from China) you have to measure the ID as they have limited "Quality" control, one might fit perfect or could be too big or too small.
amjady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

I just installed an Aluminum pulley last week on my 1600 dp engine. Installed at room temp. The pulley slid right on about half way then got stuck but it was on far enough for the bolt to reach the threads and I simply tightened the bolt and it pulled the pulley right down with very little effort.

Did the same thing a few years back on another car.

Just my experience.
bigworm0860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

So my second crank shaft pulley showed up Saturday. I went with an aluminum one this time. It was EMPI and I ordered it before I got your (Starbucket) post about EMPI being junk. As much as I see EMPI everywhere, I just assumed (I know, don't say it) EMPI made good stuff. Duly noted. Anyway, the aluminum slipped on fairly easy with a little sanding and grease. Everything else went back together pretty easy and I think I just need to set the timing and I'm good to go.

Can any of you guys recommend a VW supplier that sells GOOD quality parts?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

bigworm0860 wrote:
So my second crank shaft pulley showed up Saturday. I went with an aluminum one this time. It was EMPI and I ordered it before I got your (Starbucket) post about EMPI being junk. As much as I see EMPI everywhere, I just assumed (I know, don't say it) EMPI made good stuff. Duly noted. Anyway, the aluminum slipped on fairly easy with a little sanding and grease. Everything else went back together pretty easy and I think I just need to set the timing and I'm good to go.

Can any of you guys recommend a VW supplier that sells GOOD quality parts?

"EMPI" was the by-word for quality in the '50s & '60s but Joe Vittone sold the EMPI brand name in 1974. Anything with the EMPI stamp since '74 needs to be researched before buying.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigworm0860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Roger that. Thanks John.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley Installation Reply with quote

Hopefully the pulley you got is the same size as the 1500/1600 or better yet the bigger one used on the dual port engines. Using a smaller pulley will result in less gen/cooling fan RPMs and thusly less cooling air being pumped over the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: