Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

I just received a used squaretop fuel pump in he mail. It was advertised as a pierburg unit but it is in fact, a brosol. They look nearly identical. Are there any real world differences between the two? I’m just looking to rebuild it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

I just finished the preliminary cleaning of the fuel pump body. I want to soak it overnight. Is carb cleaner the best thing to soak with? Is it necessary to remove the internal valve before soaking this? Since that valve is not included in the kit, I don’t want to disturb the Bakelite valve if unecesaary. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt one of each, and found them to be pretty similar for the most part. The overall fit, finish, and function were slightly better on the Pierburg unit, though, in my opinion.

I used carburetor cleaner as part of the cleaning process on the ones I rebuilt. I did remove that internal valve before soaking, as well -- didn't want that Bakelite disc to get eaten / melted by the carb cleaner. Just use a small punch and hammer (from the top side) to carefully drive out the aluminum retaining ring for that valve. Also be careful not to lose the small spring underneath.

Reinstall in similar manner, and finish by lightly peening the housing edges around the ring -- you should be able to see / use the old peening marks. IIRC, the Pierburg unit had several around the periphery, while the Brosol had fewer.

Note also that I wouldn't recommend soaking aluminum parts any longer than 2 - 3 hours at a time in carb cleaner without rinsing & checking in-between -- it's pretty harsh stuff, and sometimes seems to frost / "eat" smooth finished surfaces on aluminum a bit if left in longer than that.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I just received a used squaretop fuel pump in he mail. It was advertised as a pierburg unit but it is in fact, a brosol. They look nearly identical. Are there any real world differences between the two? I’m just looking to rebuild it.

So they advertised a pierburg and gave you a brosol? I'd be pissed.

Will they work the same? Probably. Are they the same? No.

Brosols are worth half of what a Pierburg is IMO. Actually I pass on the brosols at swap meets and only buy the Pierburgs.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
I used carburetor cleaner as part of the cleaning process on the ones I rebuilt. I did remove that internal valve before soaking, as well -- didn't want that Bakelite disc to get eaten / melted by the carb cleaner.

I've rebuilt exactly ONE Pierburg square top fuel pump, and I did same as above. I soaked my metal pieces in carb cleaner overnight.

Pruneman99 wrote:
Frodge wrote:

So they advertised a pierburg and gave you a brosol? I'd be pissed.

So would I - that's fraud !!! Get a refund or partial compensation.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

What is the correct Wolfsburg west kit? There are two listed. One for slip style fittings and one for screw style fittings. I don’t know what fittings they’re talking about....

One more question I have is the actual diaphragm. The main diaphragm that was in there is in pretty damned good shape. It’s nice and pliable. Should it be replaced regardless? It looks like his pump was rebuilt at one point because of the markings from a screwdriver on the screws that hold it together. My gut tells me its a vw diaphragm that was replace at some point. No cracking or tearing. What would you do?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
What is the correct Wolfsburg west kit? There are two listed. One for slip style fittings and one for screw style fittings. I don’t know what fittings they’re talking about....

Slip type fittings
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

screw fitting pump, earlier

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

I have a slip style inlet and outlet. I am also looking at their two kits and don’t know what the inlet and outlets have to do with either kit on their site. I also can’t see a difference in the twonkits they supply. Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Screw inlet kit
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198553

Slip style kit
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198555

Screw kit has the round seal for the screw-inlet pump top cap.

They also show some parts you don't need but are used in the slip style pump, not sure why.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Thanks. Which one is needed for this?
https://hotvws.com/images/hot_vws_articles/45/pump01ab_photo1_620px.jpg
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Thanks. Which one is needed for this?
https://hotvws.com/images/hot_vws_articles/45/pump01ab_photo1_620px.jpg

The slip fitting one - you need the diaphragm that goes under the 4-bolt cap on top.
They show that in the other pump kit too but I'd be worried it wouldn't be in there since it's not needed for the earlier style pump.

Photo - Screw-in style has no top cap:

You can see it needs the round seal for that little round cap on top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up. I need the slip fit.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt a Pierburg slip fitting pump with a WW kit.

The main thing about the new WW rebuild kits is that they now have Effbee diaphragms. These have the correct pump rod length and fit very well.
The diaphragm id correct and compatible with today's crap fuels.

The Borsol pumps do not have the clips that hold the actuating lever pivot shaft in the pump body. Fortunately, the WW rebuild kits have a new pivot shaft with the clips included in the kits. A nice upgrade.

The pump rebuild is pretty straight forward if you lay out the parts in the order that you disassemble the pump and then reverse the process when everything is clean and ready for reassembly.

Soaking overnight in Berryman's is a good idea.
I soda blasted the pump body and brass bits to give it a almost new exterior look. YMMV.

Make sure to lube the heck out of the lower portions of the pump before installing it back on the engine.

When reassembled the pump. I did the top end first. Then did the bottom half. When It came to putting the two parts together. I installed the bottom half on my engine and moved the crank to get the pump stroke at it's highest level. Then installed the screws that seal the top and bottom with the diaphragm in the relaxed position.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Thanks for the instruction. The Brosol I was sent has the circlips on the rod. I also have a preload tool. Thanks a bunch.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

The following was my own personal experience with the Wolfsburg West rebuild kit for the Pierburg / Brosol fuel pumps. I ordered and received a rebuild kit from them earlier this year (Feb. 2018). What I got was a kit with good main diaphragm, but most of the other parts were pretty shoddy and/or non-functional. See pics / descriptions below.

I kept and used the main diaphragm, but returned the rest to them for a (partial) refund.

The current picture on website (as of June 2018) for their rebuild kit does look like it has different / better components now — maybe they’re ok at this point?

The main pump diaphragm and spring seem to exactly match the old original component and works fine (old/original left, new right):

The new gasket set looked so-so at best, quality-wise (old/original on left, new on right):

Spring set seemed more-or-less similar (old left, new right) — I chose to reuse the old / original springs:

The new rocker pin looked to be of softer steel and/or not plated, compared to original. The original internal valve disc was made of Bakelite / phenolic material, while new valve disc was made of some sort of rubber. Once again, chose to reuse the old parts instead of the new (old left, new right):

Both the new rocker arm and internal valve retainer were received with corrosion on them. The new internal valve retainer was also of different diameter than the original, and too loose to hold in the corresponding hole in pump body. Yet again, I chose to reuse the original parts (old left, new right):

Original internal valve retainer:

New internal valve retainer — too small:

The anti-backflow valve / diaphragm didn’t fit or work right either — central rubber valve disc sat too deep. Returned it and ordered a NOS one from another vendor (old left, new right):

Old valve assembly seemed to sit and seal correctly (unfortunately however, old diaphragm was too dried-out and stiff to reuse):

On new part, had to press down very hard for inner gasket to seal, causing outer diaphragm to deform excessively. Internal spring not strong enough to make it seal / function correctly when reassembled. I ended up having to order and use a separate NOS component to make this part of pump function correctly.

However, Wolfburg West’s current picture for this pump kit does seem to show different / better quality components now, though (June 2018). Maybe it’s a better kit nowadays — ??

Please let us know if your current rebuild kit from WW seems of better quality than what I show in my earlier pics from above...
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

There were some manufacturers in Mexico/South America who made the fuel pumps under license from Pierburg, and were
virtually identical. If the pump has the triangular "APG" trademark on it, I think it would be fair to call it a Pierburg pump.

That's one outstanding analysis by baldessariclan of the deficiencies of the pump rebuild kits that WW is/was selling. I had all of the exact same issues
with the WW kit several years ago, and WW was informed at that time, in detail, of all the problems with it. They nevertheless chose to continue
selling the same bogus parts, at least up to February of this year.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

I'll just drop this here re: Wolfsburg West pump rebuild kits. Seems they are of much better quality nowadays:
From the main Pierburg thread in the stickies:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

wcfvw69 wrote:
This seems to be the main Pierburg rebuild thread on the Samba. So, I'll update this thread with a review of the new Wolfsburg West main diaphragm assembly I purchased a few days ago.

This new diaphragm assembly is excellent. The main pin length is exactly like the NOS kit I have. The spring diameter is the same as the NOS spring. It "felt" like the same tension as well.

My bus had a NOS Mexican dome top installed on it. In my core pile I had a nice German Pierburg VW logo'd pump. I decided to restore it and install this new diaphragm kit in it.

Here's the parts all cleaned up. The screws were re zinc plated as were the rocker and spring. All mating surfaces were leveled and flattened.

The ONLY issue I noticed is the main spring plastic retainer pieces (there's two) are just a bit wide at their base where they sit in the retainer cup. As a result, the diaphragm assembly doesn't easily sit down in the raised portion of it's seat. I changed those two plastic retainers out of curiosity with a used original set. The assembly then sat down in there perfectly. Again, not a deal breaker but you'd have to push the whole assembly down firmly to get it to seat. The whole diaphragm assembly has to seat in the body.

Here' some picture of this finished restored dome top pump. The body of this pump was perfect with no corrosion on it.

I installed the pump on my 1971 dual port bus engine. I removed the NOS Mexican Pierburg. I "T'd" in a fuel pressure gauge. As these pictures below illustrate, the pressure is right at 3psi which is perfect. An additional gasket or two would easily lower it to 2.5PSI if that's what someone wanted.

I have to say it. Kudos to Wolfsburg West for getting this Diaphragm assembly made. It's just like the NOS assembly. The quality is night and day better than the lousy kits everyone else was/is selling.

These original Pierburg pumps are fantastic. The quality of them is night and day better than anything new sold today. They have the actuating level pin secured with "C" clips where most of the cheap ones are only "peened" in place. They will back out and leave you on the side of the road w/a dead fuel pump.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

Great info guys! Thanks for all that information, it’s extremely helpful. I’ll be taking my pump body out of the Berrymans in a little bit. I asked earlier About the diaphragm I took out. It looks like an original vw one. It was replaced somewhere along the way in this pump because I can see the marking on the screws from being removed somewhere along the line. I inspected this diagram and it still seems supple with no cracks. Not being cheap, I just know these are superior, should I still use this? I can snap a photo. It look to my eyes as being perfect.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
I'll just drop this here re: Wolfsburg West pump rebuild kits. Seems they are of much better quality nowadays:

Let's not keep confusing WW's rebuild kits with their new pump diaphragm assembly. The later has been established to be of good quality, as the post by wcfvw69 demonstrates. The KITS are
another matter. Evidently WW has been including the good diaphragm assembly in those kits recently, which is of course a good thing. Whether or not all the rest of the bogus parts
have been upgraded is a matter of speculation. It's also rather bizarre that WW seems to be including many "square-top" pump only parts in the one intended for the "round-top" pumps.
One also may wonder why the round-top pump kits do not contain a new filter, which are available new. If they are the same crap as WW has been sending out for many years, there would be no point in anyone buying one of those kits instead of the diaphragm assembly by itself.

Last edited by kreemoweet on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg squaretop fuel pump vs Brosol squaretop Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Let's not keep confusing WW's rebuild kits with their new pump diaphragm assembly. The later has been established to be of good quality, as the post by wcfvw69 demonstrates. The KITS are
another matter. Evidently WW has been including the good diaphragm assembly in those kits recently, which is of course a good thing. Whether or not all the rest of the bogus parts
have been upgraded is a matter of speculation. If they are the same crap as WW has been sending out for many years, there would be no point in anyone buying one of those kits instead
of the diaphragm assembly by itself.

Ah, good points.

I apologize for that, my mistake missing that he was specifically speaking to the main diaphragm.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: