Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mica Garage Youtube channel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Even though I often this forum to find help very often, don't tend to post much. I have been getting into to filming/photography and would like to start creating some content that I could find interesting to watch and share specially after I started watching most of my car content online on the many existing youtube channels that already exist.

With that in mind I created my own channel focused on classic car (and future classic) content and initially mostly on my 63 bug, which I use as my daily and plan of building as a 'Cafe Racer' style project but always trying to keep it rolling.

The channel is called Mica Garage and have done my first few videos that I would like to share with you guys and hopefully have some feedback, as even though it is mostly for fun, I would like to create some content that is both interesting and useful for other doing similar work/mods.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMnVzc0VAE5ZbHz8Fd94Vw

Hope you enjoy and would really appreciate any feedback, suggestions or subjects you would find interesting to watch.

Have a great and keep bugging in Wink
Pedro.

Last edited by prbrosa on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Moodster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Pedro,

I normally would not comment but you asked for feedback. I tuned in because you gained my interest. I think that is the first hurdle for a you tuber.

I only watched your intro because, well, that was enough for me. Your movement, zooming, and the constant shadow of you popping up, was enough to tell me that you are probably fairly new at filming.

Please study the craft and hone your filming technique and editing skills before you launch a channel. I only say this because the more interested viewers you lose early, you may not recover later, and a you tube channel needs viewers, or -whats the point?

Please continue to work hard and best of luck, Moody.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Moody,

Thanks for the feedback, that was exactly what I was looking for as the point is as you say to gain viewers and do something interesting not only for me but for others.

Am a complete noob at filming/editing, will have a look at some techniques to improve my filming and editing.

Am taking the approach of trial and error to this to start having some content but hopefully improve as I go.

Good to finally have some feedback to work with, that has been one of my main struggles, together with trying to have a quality good enough to not put off viewers.

As a back story, think it would be interesting to explain my motivations and they basically at this moment are to create small videos of the work I do on the weekends at my garage. First starting with the basic maintenance I do on my daily and hopefully growing to bigger projects as the 1641cc engine (SPOILER ALERT) I'll be building soon for my daily to get it towards the daily driven cafe racer objective. Even though not the main focus, If I can build some content with quality am hoping to get to the monetization stage to have a small help for further projects. If doesn't happen, am having fun in the process and hopefully people watching will to Wink.

Since the intro I have done a couple of how to's (Installing felt channel, how to remove the clutch cable and how to install a clutch cable). Monday should have another one completed for converting a Solex H30/31 into 6V.

If I can gain your interest and other's as well to watch them (links at the end of this post, would love to know more you of your thoughts and feedback to build an interesting channel with quality?

Thanks again for having a look and already have homework and studying for the weekend Wink

Cheers,
Pedro

Link

Link

Link
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

That weird font makes it difficult to read the instructions, and then you make it even more difficult by using white letters on a black background.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Thanks Coad,

That is actually something my brother had already mentioning and that i'm changing for the next one... am in the process of searching for a more legible one for the next vid.

Was trying the hand written look, but doesn't really help.

Really thankful for your help and feedback to make the content better.

Any further comments do not hesitate to share them as they are really useful,
Pedro.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Cool channel, I subbed. I have one too, DubWerks, check it out if you want. I watched the intro and I think you should not do so many cuts and zoom ins. Try to make it natural and not so produced. And the thumbnail font has to change, when it's small I can barely read it. Good luck with your channel!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Thanks 67ctbug,

Will have a look at your channel as well (have subbed back), have bindge watch quite a few channels lately to get some ideas on how other people produce their stuff to try getting the best of each that would work for what I would like to do.

Like the raw aspect of your channel and completely agree on the small thumbnails... was trying to keep consistent with the video intro but need to try something different.

Been great all of your inputs and very helpful, know that the contect so far isn't unique but am just using needed maintenace tasks to learn and fine tune my presentation.

Thanks,
Pedro.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

I've dropped cable, and 80% of my screen viewing is car-related channels on YouTube. Based shows I like, or turn-off, I have a few suggestions:

Music: While your background music isn't bad, I turn off a lot of videos because of irritating and overpowering music. Just use caution, since music tastes vary a lot.

Voice-over: This would be more compelling if you did voice-over describing the work, instead of the text. Remember, it's YouTube, not YouRead Wink

Lighting: In a lot of shots, I see you working on "something?". You need to make it more visually clear what you're doing.

Artsy and long intro shots: My opinion. Get into the subject manner ASAP. Remember, in this day and age, you need to grab attention immediately.

Personality: The shows I come back to have interesting, funny, quirky, and sometimes irritating hosts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your detailed feedback as it is very useful.

Voice over is something I have been thinking of but delaying, first because I'm looking for a decent mic to do it and then also because I know it will be much more time to add to the process of preparing a video and getting comfortable doing it.

It is something that is definitely on my plans for the very near future.

Meanwhile prepared a shorted video I had with some backup footage, where I tried to already get some of your points into consideration Wink

Hope you like it and am curious... What actually makes you guys click the subscribe button on an youtube channel?

Have a great one and thanks for all the feedback so far,
Pedro.

Link
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

prbrosa wrote:

Hope you like it and am curious... What actually makes you guys click the subscribe button on an youtube channel?

For me, in regard to auto channels

1) A project build, with a story and progression.
2) Technical aspects that are above my abilities - but are within reach of what I could learn. Candor, regarding 'f-ups included.
3) Passion about the project
4) Keeping the narrative lively - there's many channels that are very good on a technical level, but the host just drones on..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Thanks Chad,

Very useful feedback and lots to think about.

Thanks you all for all your input so far as hopefully will help me improving the content as I'm definitely having fun making them.

Still lots to learn and improve but the idea is to keep the content coming and always improving.

I do have some project development coming as I want to finally start the engine for my 'cafe racer' project (1641 with dual 40 dells), together with the day to day maintenance of the other cars in the garage (new beetle and pajero). Trust me, being my first racier motor (even if still very mild), lots of learning and mishaps coming for sure.

Other ideas in the works (vintage style new beetle), but that is still a developing idea...

Should have a new video about a solex H30/31 6V conversion coming this week which I'll post here as soon as it is live, so any feedback, thoughts, recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Would love to hear more thoughts about youtube channels and content from you guys as find it a fascinating subject and thanks again for all the help so far.

Cheers,
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Have just released my latest video about converting a Solex H30/31 into 6V. Have taken quite a few of your suggestions in consideration and also my first crack at voice over. Still need a better mic setup and some practice! lol

Hope you guys enjoy and please do let me know of your feedback as my intention is to produce something of interest and entertaining.

Have a great one,
Pedro.

Link
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Looking good Pedro, but don't slack off on the captions as some of us want/need them!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Will try to find the balance between both Wink as I do agree they are quite useful when trying to do the steps ourselves by following the video

Working on the next one this weekend... it's a simple one for swapping points/condenser on my distributor as mine are a bit toast.

Any suggestions anyone might have on topics, do let me know and I'll try my best to cover it.

Hopefully soon enough I'll get into the main project in the works of the 1641cc built, but meanwhile a couple of off-topic vids on my new beetle and my brother's Mitsubishi (if interesting to anyone Smile ).

Hope you all have a great weekend and keep bugging,
Pedro
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

By the way Mike,

Love the Squareback, wouldn't mind finding one myself to build as the garage's van Razz ... shame we don't have many here in Portugal (or at least harder to find), we have more Brasilias which are nice but not the same in my opinion.

Cheers,
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Finally edited a new video for changing the distributor points and condensor.

Hope you like it and any comments/suggestions please do let me know as am keen in improving the quality at every video.

I know that my mic set up is not good enough and need to quickly sort it to have content up to standards.

Is there any particular subjects or content you guys would like being included in the channel?

Thanks for all your support and feedback so far,
Pedro.

Link
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

coad wrote:
That weird font makes it difficult to read the instructions, and then you make it even more difficult by using white letters on a black background.

You've struck my pedant nerve, as a student of industrial design, I must point out that light letters on a dark background are much easier to read than dark letters on a white background. Why do you think 99% of speedometers have had white numbers on a dark background?

The only reason we're used to putting dark letters on a light background is because it's easier to make paper white than it is to make it black, but it's hardly ideal for reading!
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Personally I do prefer the white letter on black background, both for reading and aesthetics to keep inline with a vintage look.

Next vid going to be on the beetle's younger brother (a 2003 TDI New Beetle)... Will be out first thing next week.

Then should move on to finally start the 1641cc project, fingers crossed.

Would you guys be interested in me leaving a note on vids that are not beetle related?

Any suggestions or comments are very welcome. It is definitely being great fun and good learning experience.

Cheers and once again thank you for all your help,
Pedro
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

First of all, I would like to thank all your support and feedback as it has been helping a lot improving my videos. Hope you are enjoying them and that they are useful.

After a video on my 2003 Beetle, am back with a small mod to my 63 Beetle installing a Flat4 Banjo Steering wheel.

Have been using it for over a week and love how it feels. Did have a bit of a concern when I first installed it as gave the impression that it might flex while driving, but so far it has not been the case.

Hope you enjoy this video and please do leave me your feedback and suggestions, as it is very helpful to build better and more useful content.

Link

As a small teaser, will be doing a 2nd part for this video creating a budget custom horn button for these steering wheels... hopefully can show a good alternative to the $150 horn button that Flat4 sells. Nothing against their button, but think it will be a cool little project.

Have a great one and keep bugging!
Pedro.
canbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of channels out there. This is my favorite and I wait months for a new video.

Bad Obsession Motorsport

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHvBHWBzzB7NyU5tIiEZHBg

These guys are good and just the right amount of humor.

Tim.

Her 56 KG
His 56 KG
69 Single Cab, my new daily driver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: