Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mica Garage Youtube channel
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Great suggestion, already added to the channels to watch... they seem really good indeed.

Thanks and any other suggestion do leave it here... always keen to see other people's work to learn and improve.

Thanks,
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi,

After a couple of videos on other cars, back to the beetle... Tried to create a budget horn button for my new Flat4 Banjo steering wheel.

Still needs a couple of tweaks to look perfect, but 20$ vs 150$ of the Flat4 one is not a bad a result...

Link

Hope you like the video and please do let me know of your feedback so that I can keep improving the video quality.

Keep Bugging,
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Been a while and after a couple of mishaps with my engine (which I over revved and seized on a very hot day Embarassed Embarassed ), I am back with a new video which will be part of a new series on the channel where I will go through the process of removing the seized engine, doing a top-end refresh on a backup engine I had laying around and putting it in my Beetle to get it back into daily life...

Hope you enjoy the first video on this series and please do let me know of your comments and feedback as am always open to improve the channel and make it more entertaining and useful.

Link

Thanks for all your support so far and keep bugging in,
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Hope you are having great Summer and enjoying your aircooled engines Wink

I have just finished the 2nd video on my backup engine series and would love to share with you guys. On this one we started by giving it an initial clean to remove all the dirt from sitting in a shelf and years of use, as well as, started by removing the accessories that were still attached to the engine.

Link

Hope you enjoy it and do feel free to let me know of your feedback as would love to keep improving the channel.

Have a great one and keep bugging Wink
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Finally edited the 3rd episode for this series where I go through the heads, cylinders and pistons...

Link

Hope you enjoy it and I would appreciate any feedback on the videos to keep improving and correct any errors.

Have a great one and keep bugging,
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

prbrosa wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hope you are having great Summer and enjoying your aircooled engines Wink

I have just finished the 2nd video on my backup engine series and would love to share with you guys. On this one we started by giving it an initial clean to remove all the dirt from sitting in a shelf and years of use, as well as, started by removing the accessories that were still attached to the engine.

Link

Hope you enjoy it and do feel free to let me know of your feedback as would love to keep improving the channel.

Pedro.

I I watched most of this video and here are my thoughts/suggestions.

1-Listening to the same tune over & over for 17 minutes is annoying.

2-Make your voice LOUDER then the music, not softer.

3-Speed up the process. What took 17 minutes to view could have been done in 1/3rd the time. We are in a hurry up society with short attention spans. You have to keep people's attention or they will move to something else.

4-The visuals are very clear, but up close shots would benefit greatly.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Dwayne,

Thanks for viewing the full video and all the feedback below. I really appreciate your time to go through it.

Agree with all, specially the length of the video as the analytics do show that people are going away early in the video. Still trying to find the right format to keep people engaged.

Trying to balance how much detail to show as my ideia is trying to have a bit more detail as that is one of the things I sometimes miss on other peoples videos, but the analytics prove exactly what you mention.

Sound and music has been a battle from the get go (everyone mentions it), am improving on each video but still need to fine tune it...

Have already the rest of the rebuild ready to be edited so will definitely take these points when doing the next couple of episodes to improve them.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, hopefully you guys see the improvement on each video and will keep watching.

My goal is at the end it will be another place to gather content that can be useful for someone going through the same work or thinking of doing it (and somehow keep it entertaining I hope lol).

Do let me know of any more thoughts or stuff you would like to see on the channel, please do let me know as would be great to include it and connect the channel with whom is watching and start adding some interaction between people.

Once again thanks for all you guys help and comments,
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just finished editing the 4th episode for this series where I install the crank pulley, oil cooler, oil sump/strainer.

Tried to improve all the points raised by you guys to have a better and more useful video to all (key items were being shorter, better fonts, better audio balance between music/voice over and more detail on what was being done).

Link

Hope you guys enjoy it and any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers,
Pedro.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

prbrosa wrote:
Hi guys,

Just finished editing the 4th episode for this series where I install the crank pulley, oil cooler, oil sump/strainer.

Tried to improve all the points raised by you guys to have a better and more useful video to all (key items were being shorter, better fonts, better audio balance between music/voice over and more detail on what was being done).

Link

Hope you guys enjoy it and any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers,
Pedro.

The good:
Length much better
Can hear your voice much better
I like the "instructions" on the left side of the screen

The bad:
You need to get the camera off the tripod and get close up and detailed shots. I understand this is difficult if you are doing it by yourself. Maybe you need a partner to be the camera man while you do the work, or included still photos of detailed shots.

You need to give explicit details about certain things like the O rings for the oil cooler since different O rings come in the gasket kit, unless you bought the O rings specifically for that application. Also, when tightening the oil sump cover you must explain why you can't over tighten those 6 little nuts.

It's more important for someone to see what your hands are doing then to just see you from a distance working on an engine. When you are making an instructional video pretend that the person viewing it has no experience working on cars and you are walking them thru it step by step.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Dwaine,

Thanks for your feedback, it's being very useful... I agree with the different camera angles, unfortunately this engine rebuild is already all recorded and finished as this is my daily car and had to do it quicker without being able to film as carefully as I would like (just a quick explanation of the constant camera angle).

Once I finish editing all the footage and release the rest of the videos I'm planning of doing a video showing the 'how is the engine now' after this initial period of using it, as will have more time will try to have better camera angles to give more detail on what is being done.

Great point about identifying the correct seals, gaskets to use in each step... Completely forgot about that.... I think on the next videos will try adding some still images like you suggest, which would be perfect to complete the info being given and easily identifying what the hell I'm referring to.

Want to thank you again for the time you are taking to give some feedback... I would really like to make these vids as useful and detailed as possible so that it helps anyone going through the same. Sometimes difficult to balance the keep the content coming and keep the quality.

Also, I'm no guru or expert by any means but try my best to be as accurate as possible, so any errors anyone finds do not hesitate to point them out as I can then make additional annotations with the corrections in the vid so it's available to anyone watching it.

Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Just finished another video on the rebuild of my backup engine... this time I'm just installing the admission, fan shroud and dynamo and dynamo stand.

Link

Hope you enjoy this video and the it keeps improving on the quality and detail... This time added some illustrations of the gaskets being used when relevant to help identify them. Won't be this time we will have more comprehensive shots to show the work being done in more detail, just because this rebuild has been all filmed and I'm just editing the several steps we went through now.

Do let me know of any feedback or comments you might have as always keen in keep improving.

Have a great week and keep bugging Wink
Pedro.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

I thought that was well done.

Admission? I had to watch the video to see what you meant by that.
I've never heard that term, everyone seems to use:
Intake manifold

It looked like you massively over-torqued the intake manifold mounting nuts?
The torque is pretty low, a search here says 14 ft.lbs if they are 8mm studs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Interesting as I've never put together a VW engine. Might think about using a torque wrench & proper pounds specifications to put it together? Good captions even with a few ESL differences! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Mustie1 does fantastic videos all by himself with very little in the way of what you might consider production. It's hard to explain how he does it but you learn a lot.

Skid Factory has much better production values than Mustie1, but it's much the same - heavy technical and how-to information but still done in an entertaining way. They throw some music in once in a while.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

To the OP.
Unless you’re trying to be a professional YouTuber, I would just be you and present it however you want.
I’ve probably watched all of EZGZ’s and VW Darrins’s videos and the easy style of a guy in his garage sharing his knowledge and experience seems more appealing and believable to me that some of the polished stuff out there.
I feel like if I met them I would already know them somehow.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback...

Sorry for the English mishaps, I try to be careful and write with no errors but sometimes there are those things that just sound good in our own head even though they are completely wrong Laughing . Should probably find someone to proof read what I write, but you know how it goes when time is limited and I already take so long to put each video together.

Torque wrench is definitely the way to go to properly build an engine, but in my own experience and from seeing other people wrenching most people end up using them only on bolts that they want to be sure not to mess up. Not saying it is correct, but people start using their experience... until something goes wrong and torque wrench for everything again LOL

Looks like I'm torquing more than I'm actually am, but agree and I wouldn't be surprised if they are over tighten a bit... I think I have a friend with digital torque wrench and if so will try to check how much torque I actually did, would be an interesting test to see how much off it is.

The idea on asking for feedback is to improve the quality, not trying to be professional youtuber but would like to reach more people, help others going through the same and at some point if I can get something back to help with new projects it would be a dream...

Also I'm not a professional mechanic, so any errors that might be found I would like to add notes to the videos so not to induce someone in error.

In the end just having fun and sharing both what I know and what I learn while trying to do something new... For example, a project that will come soon (I hope) is a very mild 1641cc build. It will be my first 'performance build' so will try to share the process I go through so to help other newbies like me and hopefully the feedback for experienced people will make for good fun content that can actually be useful.

I do watch some of the channels you guys mention below, but there a couple I did not know... Will try them, nothing like watching some wrenching Wink I know I need to start talking to the camera as well to make the videos more personal, but still trying to get comfortable on that role as don't want to sound too forced... Will come with time I think or hope Razz

Thanks again for taking some time to watch my videos, it's cool to have both the positive and negative feedback after the hardwork Smile
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Long time without updates, but work has been quite caotic and did not leave much time to edit more videos until now...

For anyone interested, I have done another part of my rebuild series on my backup engine which I just posted the other day:

Link

Hope you guys enjoy and any questions or comments feel free to fire away.

Have a great one,
Pedro.
prbrosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mica Garage Youtube channel Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Me again Razz have done the final installation vid on this series for my rebuilt engine, which thought you guys might like to see...

Link

Should be doing a quick video soon with the first time I fired the engine up and then am going to do a video of the engine after the 1st 1000Km, to show any issues I ran into and an oil change...

Hope you guys enjoy and any questions or comments feel free to fire away.

Have a great one,
Pedro.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: