Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm new to the VW game and have some questions.

For some background, About 6 years ago I bought a basket case Bug from a friend of mine for $500. It's in rough shape but I figured I'd give rebuilding it a shot. Shortly after I bought it, I ended up overseas for work for two years and it got parked in a field at my sisters house. This last weekend, I FINALLY dragged it back down to my house in Alabama to start tearing into it.

Last night I looked at the "VIN" on the pan and noticed it wasn't the same as on the title. The title has the car listed as a 1962, with a VIN of 4032105, but the number on the pan is 11754101(6,8, or B. Can't really read the last digit) which looks like it is from a car built in Jan 1967 if I'm reading VIN charts correctly.

-Will this cause any problems with the DMV and the title?
-Where could the number that is on the title have come from?
-What year is this thing?
-Is it possible or necessary to change the VIN on a title?
-Is this going to be too much of a hassle to deal with?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Post pics. The pan is definitely a 67 but the body could be later. What does the vin on it say? Posting pictures of the body will help determine the year. Front, side, rear, dash shots will work best. Body vin is in the trunk behind the spare tire.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Post pics. The pan is definitely a 67 but the body could be later. What does the vin on it say? Posting pictures of the body will help determine the year. Front, side, rear, dash shots will work best. Body vin is in the trunk behind the spare tire.

Ok, I'll get pics this afternoon after work.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

the 62 body should have a serial number tag riveted to the spare tire well, just below the gas tank. remove the spare to see it.

bodies and chassis are frequently swapped.

Most DMVs depend on the chassis number for title purposes, which is bad news for you. check local laws. Ask how this can be rectified. you may need to have the chassis number run thru a stolen car data base, and check that no one else owns that chassis number. But heck there are 50 dmvs to check thru. some states are very strict, others are more understanding and allow a new title to be created. others state may attempt to seize the car, specially if it comes up stolen, or owned by someone else. which if the car was stolen from you, you would want that to happen.

worse case is the car is taken, chassis, body, engine, everything!

next worse is you need to get a different chassis with clear title and swap.

best is they write you a new title for what you have

oh one more worst case is you ignore it, spend a lot of money fixing it up, then get the Bug seized.

but wait, one more worse case is you alter the chassis number to match the title, get caught and end up in a heap of legal trouble for falsifying the serial number, worse still if car is stolen.

without divulging your identity, call your dmv and ask what the procedure is. avoid bringing the car in to be inspected if you have added new parts, say a new motor or what not, as if the serial number comes up stolen, they will likely seize it on the spot, with your new parts installed.
it would be good if the car is returned to rightful owner if stolen, but not with parts that you bought installed in the car.

Good Luck, Hope it is easy for you

Bug On!

ps the friend you bought it from may be of help, maybe he are she never registered it correctly, but maybe they do have legal title to the chassis, maybe they lost it, but the dmv should have a record, and thus be able to grant you a new title based on a bill of sale from your friend. Ask you friend about the title!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Maybe the DMV took the vin# off the body and just used that. Your 62 body is on a 67 pan. I could see this happening if the two would mate up. You did say the car was a basket case.
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Similar situation here on a bug. Title didn't match the pan. After many visits to the DMV and inspections I went for a bonded title only to find out there was a lien on the pan vin that had to be settled before paperwork could be completed. I abandoned the project before investing money/time in it and bought another project. Not worth the risk to me to make it work or the hassle to pay off the lien owed. At one point, they told me it wasn't going to work because they couldn't match the engine/trans numbers to the VIN...talk about a frustrating experience.
Chances are that your title matches the body vin by the spare tire. Laws seem to vary slightly state by state. They may go with the body vin if it's there, or try to issue a state replacement ID.

Good luck on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Don't know how your DMV is but at mine they ONLY look at the VIN on the pan. They even misread the VIN on the pan once during an inspection and I told them to look at the matching body VIN too, they ignored me and opted to look it up in their database instead. Maybe you can get your friend to sign a bill of sale and you can go through the process of getting a replacement title.
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures, as promised. The picture of the data plate may not be much help, it's basically unreadable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

body looks to be a 65. large windows, no center defrost, no 4 way switch. Pan is ball joint so probably a 67.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

I don't know about Alabama but when I was in SC you could get receipts and bills of sale from a junkyard or back then a bug shop and do a reconstructed title on something like that, but all your VIN's needed to be check and come out clean. There are places you can check all fifty states online before hand.

In PA that thing is basically a parts car, PA is super strict and to title a car here a certified mechanic has to verify the VIN in two different locations on the vehicle.

If you decide its not going to work out for you I would be interested in that body though, just shoot me a PM.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

AZ usues only the VIN on the pan. Lose that Vin plate riveted in. Its the older style pre '58? Ish anyway and has been tampered with- a big no-no.

You need to have the DMV perform a VIN check. If it comes back clean they might issue a title if you're nice, and use the proper words..

If not, you can get a bonded title in AZ. The DMV will set a value on the car and you will have to pull title insurance on it. I did it once and it cost like $150.

Then, if there are any owners in the system, you have to send certified letters out requesting that they sign releases. Either they get sent back, (which they never do) or you wait the predetermined wait time. Like 4? weeks. If no responses come, your take your bonded insurance to the DMV and they will give you a title.

It's kinda a PITA, but it can get done.

Remember, be nice to the agent. People yell and bitch at them all day. They can help you if they want to.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Waaaaaaay too much work imo for that car. The title you have isn’t for that car. I’d part that thing out and find something decent or use it strictly as a woods buggy or something.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Waaaaaaay too much work imo for that car. The title you have isn’t for that car. I’d part that thing out and find something decent or use it strictly as a woods buggy or something.

That's what I was afraid of. Do you agree with the above that the body looks like a '65? About a year ago, the person who sold it to me expressed interest in getting it back. Maybe I'll see if they are still interested.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

ChinookFE wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

That's what I was afraid of. Do you agree with the above that the body looks like a '65? About a year ago, the person who sold it to me expressed interest in getting it back. Maybe I'll see if they are still interested.

Find out how much work will be required on the title before dumbing the project. It may not be too bad. besure to check with seller for more info on title.

that rusted serial number tag does not appear to be correct for body nor pan. the tag should be aluminum rather than steel, I am pretty sure. the stock tag may have been removed as part of the baja conversion.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
ChinookFE wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Find out how much work will be required on the title before dumbing the project. It may not be too bad. besure to check with seller for more info on title.

that rusted serial number tag does not appear to be correct for body nor pan. the tag should be aluminum rather than steel, I am pretty sure. the stock tag may have been removed as part of the baja conversion.

Good Luck, Bug On!

I'm planning on talking to the DMV here before I do anything else. From my research, the car may be old enough to not even need a title in Alabama. I know there is also Title recovery companies out there that can get titles for cars that don't have them (barn finds, and whatever). I am not sure how legit they are though.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Oh your in AL, NOT AZ. I missread that. Never mind all my last post. Each state is different. I think AL will NOT issue titles to old cars. Check with the DMV (BMV) and they will tell ya what you need to do.

Last edited by Pruneman99 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Oh your in AL, NOT AZ. I missread that. Never mind all my last post. Each state is different. I think AR will NOT issue titles to old cars. Check with the DMV (BMV) and they will tell ya what you need to do.

It’s all good, man. I’m actually from Arizona but only in Alabama with the Army so your information is still useful for when I retire in two years.
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

So I went to the DMV as soon as they opened this morning and they confirmed that they do not issue titles for cars that are over 35 years old, so I'm good as far as that goes. They couldn't say what other states would require when I move, but I figure I'll register it in Alabama before I leave even if it isn't roadworthy yet and then I'll at least have a registration for it, that may help if it's coming from a state that doesn't issue titles.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

Can you register it with the pan number?
ChinookFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: VIN on title doesn't match the pan. Problem? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Can you register it with the pan number?

The DMV made it seem like I would be able to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: