Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is not a bash that guy thread, so be polite. This club was the first and I was there in Nor, Central and Southenrn Cal shows,

And shameless as I am, I’ll pay stupid money for an NOS SOTO Tee in XL

I rocked one like this for awhile

Close up of my ole 59 walkthrough my finger prints are locked in there.

My Old 65ish westy, cruised the Southwest in that Bus, Taos Ceremony Day even! Pretty sure I know where it is still, hiding in Saratoga.

Last splitty I built for myself.

I’ve had many others, spent more time ruining my SOTO tee shirts working on them instead of taking pictures of them. What’s your good times story?

Last edited by Spezialist on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

SOTO was great. Its funny timing that it went away just a few years before split buses went crazy. So everything and everyone who was involved with SOTO is officially old school, and from that era, where everything was very different. Buses were cheap. They were in every junkyard. There was no internet. I had to walk to school uphill in the snow, but there were splits parked on the street, so it was OK. (there was a 23 that parked across the street from my house when I was in high school)

The last SOTO show that I went to was in 1998 at the long beach veterans stadium. I saw an unrestored '58 westy there. Last saturday, I drove that same bus (now restored) to the OCTO show, and parked it very close to the same place I first saw it nearly 20 years ago to the day.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

i remember writing, the old-fashioned way on paper, to both NEATO and SOTO, some 25 years ago i am guessing. They wrote back, too. I think i still have the envelope i got back, should probably pull it out some time and re-read.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

In 1993 I drove my Turkis 63 23 window to a SOTO meet it was down toward San Diego, maybe Deer Park or something. Very fun event at a really shady park with a lot of trees but man that was so long ago I cant remember exactly what the place was called. I caravan'd down there with Russ Nave and several others from Lancaster / Palmdale then on the way home we hit Intershows indoor VW swap meet at OC fairgrounds. That was a night time swap meet. Fun times.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

soto was before my time but im sure these 2 vw’s had a great time Cool

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
soto was before my time but im sure these 2 vw’s had a great time Cool

those 2 are awesome. hard to say which one i like better.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

Used to go to the shows at Deer Park and went to one in LA area, maybe Long Beach shortly before it disappeared.
The Deer Park shows were great, nothing but splits in a shady park setting if you were lucky, or you ended up in the upper lot or across the street in the dirt.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

Good memories of the SOTO events. Picked this up in the early 90s.

and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

I became a SOTO member right at the very end as i received some newsletters but not all that i should have. The s@*t i used to see in the ads in the newsletter and even in the NEATO newsletter used to make me drool. Wasn't many splits left solid along the Jersey Shore when i got into them in the late 80's early 90's. Junkyards still had some though. Still kicking myself for thinking Hurst bumpers were homemade bumpers in the one junkyard i frequented. Embarassed

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273

Last edited by obus on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

I know I have a file w/ all the news letters from 1983 on, plus a few stickers off past Buses, Jeff turned me on to the John Chipps stash in Delhi Ont., which I checked out in '84... I guess I am an old Phart.... Laughing Cool

This is John Chipps at his place:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

I followed SOTO in the eighties and used the classified ads to find my 1967 21 window. My current bus, bought in California in 2004, still proudly wears SOTO and NEATO stickers, which are very durable. The back window parking pass looks a bit strange on a Canadian bus.

Homeresque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

Well I guess I'm a really really old fart.
I was in SOTO back at the very beginning. In '83 I mixed up my stable of type I's by picking up a Dec '58 oxidized dove blue panel from Bob Scott (only $500 as opposed to the $750 Bob wanted for a SWR/CB piano-hinge barndoor 23-window Crying or Very sad ). I made that my daily runner and prolly put 10k miles on it from just rolling from Monrovia to Newport Beach alone. At the same time Kimball opened up BFY and it was sheer VW-heaven (Bob Scotts place was starting to fade). Jeff Walters worked there and pimped SOTO to anyone looking at bus parts so me and my friend joined and I think we were like member #s 19/20. The first meets were at El Dorado park along the 605. My friends SC looked like he pulled out of the dump, and my panel I had lowered ala the current technology...bust the welds and drive out some leaves in the front and turn the rear down a notch or two and run some Mich 135zx/165xzx. It actually rolled pretty nice but scraped the shit out of the steering box. Mine was only the second lowered bus I ever saw, the first being a guy at Bug-In 30 in a lowered SWR/BG 21-window who I think had a shop in San Gabriel, when I saw that in the pit line I think I lost my mind! Anyway, those first meets were kinda mindblowing seeing so many rare parts/buses we had only seen in old books and manuals and such (safari windshields were like owning the Holy Grail!), but mine was the only lowered bus there and his was so ratty we kinda got the vibe that we were from a different planet and everyone wished we'd leave. Later there was meet at a different location, I think it was Garbage Grove?...at a private facility like a VFW or something? That was better, his SC was now lowered too and there were many lowered cars there now, it was becoming a thing.
I sold that panel in '84 and didn't have a bus again until '89 when I picked up a 23-window ('62 SWR/BG 16k miles OG paint/int...$750 Rolling Eyes ). Now I was into stock rides and even ruined that bus by putting on those hideous Firestone WWs, looked like I was driving around in the WeinerMobile. Walters had left the scene to go hide in the hills but SOTO was still there so I joined again and went to one of the Deer Park meets, that was a nice show except it rained for about half the morning. After that I drove it to a couple of Classics and VW Jams but then sold it in '91 to pick up a low mileage '57 Ghia and sold that in '97 to get into '32 Fords.
I used to have a 6" tall stack of photos off all my cars and events back in the day but it all got thrown in the trash when I moved homes back in '02.
All my SOTO t-shirts eventually made their way into the garage rag pile.
I suck.
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

L.A.B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

I was the SOTO rep when I moved to Colorado back in 91. It's amazing to think how you could get the word out for events and folks would come back in the pre-cell/internet days. We would get a pretty good turnout for get-together's back then. Fliers, phone calls, letters and word of mouth...

Most definitely a different era. Buses and their owners were the anomaly back then. For $1500 you could buy a pretty nice Bus.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

Here's some photos of a SOTO meet at the old WolfsburgWest building in 2000:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/shows_soto122000.php

User campingbox and Eric Lussier relaxing in front of their Buses:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

Ancil Hoffman 93 or 94? I think this was a SOTO meet.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=ancil&search_author=crofty

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Ancil Hoffman 93 or 94? I think this was a SOTO meet.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=ancil&search_author=crofty

I think your are right crofty, Monterey Chapter of Soto. I was there.
Wolfsburg Classics
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

NOS Coffe Mug and three different coloured pins from my SOTO collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My SOTO collection, show me your S.O.T.O. Memories Reply with quote

My sticker and decal collection, I know I have some T-shirts some where. Albert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: