Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Side Mirror Glass Sealant
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Replacement Side Mirror Glass Sealant Reply with quote

Tried the new mirror assemblies, they suck. Got several original stainless side mirror housings either minus the mirror or the mirror is deteriorated severely, so had a local glass shop cut me a few replacement mirrors, the question is what sealant/caulk to attach and trim out with? Read numerous posts and other online suggestions but they conflict with each other, some say silicon RTV others say too acidic and will destroy the backing. Liquid nails is out for I need black, or a grey/silver.

So what have any of you all used?

The replacement mirror cost $10 each.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Side Mirror Glass Sealant Reply with quote

I would think clear silicone glue, like GE, available in tubes at hardware stores, Home Depot. There are other brands as well.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Side Mirror Glass Sealant Reply with quote

This is what I am replacing it was attached with clear silicone, ate through the silver and backing paint. I will pass on clear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Side Mirror Glass Sealant Reply with quote

I would ask the glass/mirror shop. Years ago, I also had a glass shop cut a replacement mirror for my side mirror and they gave me the adhesive they use that won't attack the silver backing on the mirror. They had just a little bit left in a can so they gave me the rest of the contents when I paid for the mirror.

That has been many years ago and my mirror shows no signs of decay. Sorry I don't recall what they used but a Google search on mirror adhesive came back with a Loctite PL 520 Mirror Adhesive found at True Value Hardware stores. Good luck.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Side Mirror Glass Sealant Reply with quote

X2 on what he said. Liquid nail and locktite both make a mirror adhesive
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Side Mirror Glass Sealant Reply with quote

The driver's side mirror on my 69 Bug is deteriorated. Is there a supplier of already cut glass? We don't have any glass shops in the vicinity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: