Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor sizing
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
john0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

I'm currently running dual Weber 40 carbs with a crossbar linkage in my 1969 Square. I have no problem with their performance in fact it's awesome. I just reaaaally wish I could get at the rest of my engine, particularly plug wires. I have scars.

So I'm thinking about replacing the system with smaller carbs. Would that make any difference and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

-john
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

Unbolt the intake manifolds & carburetors together & take them off when you are changing spark plugs etc. Move your coil from the left over to the right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

Has anyone tried NDIX 32 Zeniths on a Type 3? Much smaller and capable of plenty of flow on a 1600cc. or similar size engine.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

I always wondered about NDIX on a type 3, since they use almost the same bolt pattern as the DCNF Webers, my impression is that they are too tall to really fit under the engine cover
john0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions!
-j
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

You could try Berg style Weber DCNF instead of IDF. You'll want to do some research, but you will gain some room

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

I just measured the NDIX and a Dellorto 36:
Zenith NDIX 32 is 5" Base to top Rim.
Dellorto 36 is 5 1/2" Base to top of Main Jet and short stack however the Dell is only 4" from base to top.
Dell Main Jet and stacks go into the Air Cleaner space.

Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor sizing Reply with quote

No pic, but I have my air cleaners off for cleaning, and my 40 DCNFs are almost exactly 3-1/2" tall (from the carb base to the air cleaner base).
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: