Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Earlier today my dad was out teaching me to drive a stickshift in my 1973 Super, and it went about as bad as you can imagine for someone that's driven automatics since day one, so I went and accidentally stalled out the engine. Upon restarting, I noticed the oil pressure light had a dim flicker at idle RPM (set at about 800-850), but it had never done that before. When giving it gas, the light shuts off. When I first turn the ignition, all of the indicator lights come on as they should, and they all shut off except for the oil pressure light, which flickers at idle RPM.

Earlier in the day I had the center gauge off to replace the speedo cable and noticed the oil pressure light connector had come out. I replaced it with no issue.

Does this sound like more of an electrical, or possibly a mechanical issue? I'm going to run an oil pressure test at some point tomorrow to help me determine if the oil pump is shot, and if not, narrow it down from there if its the sending unit, or the gauge.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
anilv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Flickering on idle and going out with a bit of revs sounds like the light and sensor is working like it should.

If the weather was very hot or the engine running for a while I would expect it to flicker a bit.

Anilv
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

anilv wrote:
Flickering on idle and going out with a bit of revs sounds like the light and sensor is working like it should.

If the weather was very hot or the engine running for a while I would expect it to flicker a bit.

Anilv

This.

If you want, you can raise the rpm at idle 100 rpm.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Well here's the thing, it was only running for about 10 minutes. And before that, the light would go completely out after giving it some gas at idle RPM. Now after stalling it, it flickers going back to idle RPM.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Have you checked the oil level?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Yes, the oil level is within the two lines. I have 2qts of Chevron 20W-50 in it right now, might be due for another half quart.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

its normal for oil to thin out as it heats up....and hence the pressure drops...so you need to actually check the pressure at idle to determine a course of action...which could range from your idle being set too low, to a bad or incorrect sending unit, to an overheating problem or an engine with worn bearings or a bad oil pump....but you didnt suddenly break something by stalling it
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

I plugged a gauge into it, it was reading approximately 40 PSI at idle on first start up (after having a whole day to cool off), then gradually reduced to around 10-12 PSI and held there for several minutes after shutting it off.

I think what happened is my idle may have been too low, so I turned the screw in about a half turn which brought it up just a little bit.

Which brings me to my next question, what's the best kit to attach a tachometer in my bug just so I can properly monitor and dial in my RPM?
SubbinNCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

spectre1995 wrote:
Yes, the oil level is within the two lines. I have 2qts of Chevron 20W-50 in it right now, might be due for another half quart.

Isn't 20-50 a little thick for a 1600 (guessing it's stock, could be wrong) in warm California?
BigSherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

SubbinNCali wrote:
Isn't 20-50 a little thick for a 1600 (guessing it's stock, could be wrong) in warm California?

What oil weight would you recommend?
I’m up here in Hesperia where it gets hottern shite, and I’ve been seeing my oil pressure light at idle with 20w-50, too.

Sherm
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

spectre1995 wrote:
I plugged a gauge into it, it was reading approximately 40 PSI at idle on first start up (after having a whole day to cool off), then gradually reduced to around 10-12 PSI and held there for several minutes after shutting it off.

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure sensor for the light? The stock sender shouldn't be turning the light on until you get down to 3 or 4 pounds of pressure.

Have you checked to see if the alternator and oil lights have been swapped? The alternator light flickering at low rpm would make a lot more sense than having low oil pressure after only 10 or 15 minutes.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

20w50 is too much and can lead to overheating as it bypasses the cooler. Healthy engines need 10w30 or straight 30 if you are an old timer. There’s a sticky at top of page that devolves into page after page of incoherent gibberish punctuated by occasionally sound information. I’d look at it anyway, if you had a few days or weeks to read hop on over to bobistheoilguy, more of the same.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

I think 20w50 is too much as well. I’ve been running 10w40, should I change to 10w30? This isn’t an oil argument, I would consider my engine in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigSherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

If 20w50 is too thick, why would the oil pressure light come on at idle?

Mine does the same thing when very hot.

Also, why would it cause oil to bypass the cooler? Isn’t oil sent through the cooler based on temperature?

I’m new to aircooleds, and trying to learn.

Thanks for the help.
Sherm
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

If you look in the owners manual VW made mention of it saying it was not a big deal, although they worded it differently 😁 you could just bump up the idle speed just a tad if it worries you.
BigSherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
20w50 is too much and can lead to overheating as it bypasses the cooler.

Is this really true?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467803&highlight=importance+oil
and here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Please see and use the topics above for oil-related questions and info so we can stay on the original topic and questions from spectre1995
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

I appreciate the input in regards to the oil. Guy at the local VW shop recommended 20W-50, so that's what I ended up getting a few months ago. 10W-30 is what I typically use in my other water cooled vehicles, and was under the impression air cooled required heavier weight oil.

As far as I'm aware, the sender/switch is stock.
BigSherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Hey Spectre-

I just found an oil pressure sensor in stock at NAPA for $11, replaced it in the parking lot, and had no more oil pressure light coming on.

It’s extremely easy to replace, literally less than five minutes, with one wrench.

I think my sensor was failing, and when the engine got warm, the heat made the sensor read even more falsely.

I run 20w50 for the same reasons you stated. I have found nothing suggesting that heavier weight oil prevents it from circulating through the oil cooler, so until I can read about that somewhere, I’ll keep using 20w50.

Sherm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: