Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor code confusion
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawaii65Eedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Aloha!

(I'm continuing to post to this thread as my wife, 7yo daughter and I work our way through this project)

We recently purchased a 76 Bay Window Bus and trying to confirm what motor we have.

Casing has a riveted number plate that reads 5573 AP 902156.

I don't see any match on the sambas motor number guide but did find the AP designation on this website.

https://projects.davidplanella.org/vw-bus/engine-codes

From the maintenance records, it says that the motor was changed out. The mechanic mentions that it use to be fuel injected but AP designation says dual carbs on that website. It also says Automatic for the transmission but our van is manual, if that makes a difference?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Work Done so far starting from 6/20/18

-Replaced dipstick oil boot
-Replaced all shocks
-Tightened CV joint bolts (All were loose with some only held in by boot. PO missed a step when putting the engine back in. It was being driven like that!

Last edited by hawaii65Eedge on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Is this any help?

http://www.thegoldenbug.com/en/vw_technical_articles/d86/engine_1800_ap

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

look at the sticker on the back of the engine lid to see if it is a car that came to North America - either the USA or Canada. If so should be a flat engine GD or GE. If it is a North American car, and the engine is an upright then it lost its original engine and someone put in an upright engine. If it is a European bus then an upright would be normal.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

If it is a Type 4 engine it could have been built up to any of the three stock sizes or several custom sizes. Without tearing it down it is hard to know what crank and pistons are inside. If there is something wrong inside, don't buy parts until you have torn in deep enough to see what you have.

For now assuming the engine isn't worn out or damaged in some way, just drive and enjoy.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

A picture or two of your engine would greatly help those who are trying to give you a hand.

• If it's a '76 bus I assume it's not been modified to retrofit a Type 1 engine, thus you have a Type 4 engine, correct?
• The Samba engine codes guide does not include European engine codes, that's why yours is not there. AP is an European engine code (see snapshot below).
• In that regard, if that is indeed your engine code, the two linked websites are correct. Also in the fact that it originally had dual carbs.
• It might be possible that the carbs were swapped for FI at some point, but from what I've heard it was more common for folks to do the conversion the other way around.
• The riveted number plate is confusing though. The engine codes are usually stamped on the case itself, not on a plate. And they don't have the four leading numbers (5573).
• Is there no code stamped just below the oil breather box?

In summary, I would guess you might have a US/CDN bus with a transplanted European Type 4 engine, 1.8 l if it's not been modified. Nothing wrong with that Smile

That said, I'd listen to Wildthings' advice. You won't know what engine you have until you've digged deeper into it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

European bus engine codes. No need to translate from German, I assume the figures and units speak for themselves.

Decode your M-Plate
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Let's see what you have.
Code:
M-Plate Location

VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations
hawaii65Eedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Thanks All

I don't have motor pics at the moment but provided M Plate and Motor Code below. Yes its a type 4 pancake motor.

To sum it up from all the comments/links it appears we have a US bus that was refitted with a European motor. All great comments and useful links provided!

Thanks Tcash for the link; Decoded link here, http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=34828

Destination said USA, Washington D.C.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hawaii65Eedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

The state of the motor is yet to be determined.
It's drivable but it does pop out of 1st and there is a lag or weakness for the first 10 or so minutes running. It has just one carburetor with an electric choke.

We're going to do a basic tune up, hopefully solve the oil leak in the process, and see how it feels.

If anyone can point out some good diagrams for this motor and bus components I would be thankful.

We have a Bentley manual and the How to keep your VW alive book. I cant seem to get a good feel for our motor from the diagrams. Could it be because it is a European motor?

And what's under the bus? It looks like a radiator!! I know I'm just at that initial phase where it all looks foreign. But its a VW, it's just a matter of time and then it will all come together.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

What is under the bus is likely the condenser for the AC. You should have a Type 4 engine which were used in US spec buses from '72-79 and 80-83 Vanagons. The Bentley stupidly refers to them as "dual carburetor engines". You can get all the pictures you want of the engine by going to the gallery and searching for "Type 4" or Type IV" engine.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics, much better than guessing. I'd never seen this riveted plate on a case! Someone with more experience might want to chip in, but if I were to guess, it wouldn't seem it was VW who put it there.

It seems that the original stamped engine code was erased by machining it off, or it might still be underneath the plate.

I still don't know what the leading 5573 digits mean, though.

Most importantly, and on second thoughts... that AP 902156 figure... seems unusually high. It would mean that that year they would have produced one million bus engines in that configuration, which I don't think was common. In short, I don't think 902156 is your engine serial number. The AP two-letter code might still apply.

So, whether the plate really means it's an AP 1.8 liter engine, you'll have to double-check. Perhaps an easy (but not definitive) way of telling without having to split the case or remove the heads might be to open the valve covers and look at the cylinder head part numbers, if they're still VW parts.

Looking at your decoded M-Plate:
http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=34828

Type 4 (GD) - 1970cc, 51 kW (70 bhp DIN)

It seems this US bus had originally a 2.0 liter GD engine, with fuel injection, which is long gone. That was probably what your mechanic was referring to.

You might also want to post pictures of:

• the code stamped on the fan shroud
• the sticker on the back of the engine lid

hawaii65Eedge wrote:
If anyone can point out some good diagrams for this motor and bus components I would be thankful.

Other than the Bentley, which you already have:

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+2+syncro/t2/1974-29/1/
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/LateBay-Main.html

hawaii65Eedge wrote:
I cant seem to get a good feel for our motor from the diagrams. Could it be because it is a European motor?

Not really. I'd say it's still the same engine case as the pre-FI 1.8 l US equivalent (AW). Seeing that the US/CDN version had dual carbs as well, I'd also say it was the same engine configuration. Probably the North-American version had additional exhaust emission control features (M-code 157, with charcoal canister).

But since your engine seems to have been modified to single carb and transplanted into another bus, it's no longer the original configuration, so these differences might not even apply now.

hawaii65Eedge wrote:
And what's under the bus? It looks like a radiator!! I know I'm just at that initial phase where it all looks foreign. But its a VW, it's just a matter of time and then it will all come together.

Pictures, pictures... Smile

Have fun with the new bus, I'm sure you will!

Decode your M-Plate
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Can't tell for certain with the dirt on the left end of the plate, but it looks like a VEGE/ATK rebuild, I have such a case myself! See here- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698028&highlight=vege Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

photo looks like a type 4 case. The plate is over the original serial number. There should also be a number on the shroud.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
hawaii65Eedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

As always, thanks for the replies.

I'll post some pics over the weekend.

I wiped clean the motor tag and it was blank.

The number on the shroud is missing. Maybe it was machined off.

Were planning checking the valve clearances so will look for part numbers.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Nice looking Bus.

Check if have Hydraulic or Solid lifters?
Click on link
Lifters Hydraulic or Solid ?

Aloha
Tcash
hawaii65Eedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Here's the lid sticker. Since the motor was swapped i guess it's historical info only.

hawaii65Eedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

Head and Case Numbers

Came home and wife had already pulled out the push rods and tubes. And she drinks more beer than me....

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

You still have at least one VW head. The head was likely off not to long ago, compare the varnish on the nuts and washers with the varnish on the metal of the head.

You may also have a loose valve guide on the right hand exhaust valve, note the staining.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

hawaii65Eedge wrote:

And she drinks more beer than me....

Laughing Laughing Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor code confusion Reply with quote

VeeDubWolf wrote:
Can't tell for certain with the dirt on the left end of the plate, but it looks like a VEGE/ATK rebuild, I have such a case myself! See here- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698028&highlight=vege Cool

Hello, that would be my guess also on the engine tag. My type I engine has a tag like that, with an deer/gazel on it(doesn't show in pic, though; can barely see the circle behind the case pinch bolt). But, the layout of the tag are the same. It has been said that this company used OEM quality type parts in their rebuilds..
That sure is a clean bus for being on the Islands... must have been kept inside out of the moist salt air. There is no rust showing in the photos, good score.
Here is a picture of my tag.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: