Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

In the stock location, I want an AGM battery to avoid acid corrosion after having repaired the battery tray, but also want a proper fit (use stock clamp, not hanging over skirt, not too tall).
I am considering the Optima Red Top 35 (9.375 x 6.75 x 7.69 inches; 31.7lbs) or Bosch Platinum AGM 35 (9.06 x 6.93 x 8.87 inches; 37.0lbs).
Anyone used either of these and recommend for a '68 Ghia?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

Scheff wrote:
In the stock location, I want an AGM battery to avoid acid corrosion after having repaired the battery tray, but also want a proper fit (use stock clamp, not hanging over skirt, not too tall).
I am considering the Optima Red Top 35 (9.375 x 6.75 x 7.69 inches; 31.7lbs) or Bosch Platinum AGM 35 (9.06 x 6.93 x 8.87 inches; 37.0lbs).

I use a Miata AGM battery.

And please remove the fuel filter from the fuel line. This is not a safe location for a
Fuel filter.

bryan
Scheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

From what I have seen (Google photo search on Miata AGM battery), it doesn't look like it would fit in the stock location using the factory clamp. Photo?

Given restoration efforts the past few months, the engine bay no longer holds the fuel filter...but, an Optima 34R is being used temporarily...

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

Scheff wrote:
I've not tried those brands, but I've gotten good service from Odyssey AGM batteries. They have several sizes if you're interested http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

Why not put it under the rear seat instead? An Odyssey PC925 fits perfectly ↓

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

Yes!

The Miata sized battery fits well under the rear seat of my 67. Cleans up the engine room nicely.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibilisi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

I think the 35 can work:

akear wrote:
Optima Group size 35 is a good fit...
akear wrote:
I just replaced the battery in my '70 with an Optima Group Size 35. A bit smaller than than the 42 so it sits a little bit over the seal but not the tin. The original hold down clamp comes up a little short but I filled the gap with a piece of rubber fuel line and its nice and secure. I decided on the Optima because its a good price on Amazon right now and delivered to my door.

EDIT: I just realized from the other photos that my clamp is upside down. Duh.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641295
Scheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: AGM Battery for 1968 Ghia Reply with quote

That is what I was looking for, thanks!

ibilisi wrote:
I think the 35 can work:

akear wrote:
Optima Group size 35 is a good fit...
akear wrote:
I just replaced the battery in my '70 with an Optima Group Size 35. A bit smaller than than the 42 so it sits a little bit over the seal but not the tin. The original hold down clamp comes up a little short but I filled the gap with a piece of rubber fuel line and its nice and secure. I decided on the Optima because its a good price on Amazon right now and delivered to my door.

EDIT: I just realized from the other photos that my clamp is upside down. Duh.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641295

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: