Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsleydesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

The mechanic says they cannot find these parts. I found a pressure sensor at GoWesty but have no idea about how to find an oil separator (whatever that is). I've searched at Samba and Google and no luck. Anyone have any info that could help me?

I have an 87 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

This could be the breather tower. Van cafe has it.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

The PS sensor isn't needed, but the breather tower is a critical part of the intake system.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

I don't see anything for that part number. Can you give us a picture of this "oil separater"?
What is the mechanic working on?

Hans
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/20266/breather-tower-
kingsleydesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

You guys are the best! I really, really appreciate your help.

There are a few issues that he's working on. I need a new water pump. ($632-is that decent price?) Included Labor-4.5 hrs./pump/3 drive belts/coolant

The estimate says:
P/S Hose Replacement (Reservoir to pump)
Labor 1hr./PS Hose/Hose Clam/PS Fluid

The parts I'm talking about are parts they say need replacing but they cannot find them through their sources.

I'm giving all these details in case someone else wants the same answers sometime in the future.

Again, you guys are the best!!
kingsleydesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

Just to stick with it...

He said it is the Breather Tower, so you guys called it. I think his wife called it the Oil Separator and was incorrect. He just spent about 45 minutes with me and showed me everything. That water pump is in a very difficult place so I understand why it takes so long.

Should be ready to go tomorrow. And then we'll see what adventures lay ahead. And what it does next.

The PS Sensor is bad and leaking all over the place so we'll fix that as well.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

I just paid a shop to replace my water pump. Labor was $300. I supplied the pump and hoses which were close to $200. Considering labor is probably billed out cheaper per hour in Idaho vs your location I would say his estimate is appropriate.
kingsleydesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering pressure sensor and oil separator-part02511451 Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. That makes me feel better. It looks very involved to replace the water pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: