Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Fender Year Identification
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've got a 1967 Beetle, but I'm wondering if the fenders may be 66 or earlier. The previous owner installed Rossi style lights, aftermarket not originals, after shaving the turn signals. I've been told that the Rossi lights only fit pre-67 fenders. Can anyone tell if these are 67 fenders or if they're earlier?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2002 Audi S6 Avant ~When you need groceries fast~
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
2005 Audi A4, 2.0t APR Stage 1 ~Cause I needed another car...~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

Not 67's for sure

Pre 67.. most likely 63-66 .

Yes Rossi headlamp housings replaced original "bubble" style pre 67 (US Spec) headlamp housings for Beetles. (also Transporter and Porsche 356)

Unless you need... or want original look and fenders .. Real metal Rossi's are kool... Cool

FYI.. a good "67 front fender" topic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496338

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

Thanks Ken! I'm not a huge fan of the Rossi's, but I especially don't like the plastic repros that are on the car. I love the sloped look better but assumed I was stuck with the uprights. So I can track down sloped light hardware and mount it up without issue?
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

Yep... find a nice pair of used or buy some new (WW) "sloped" or "Bubble" light housings and you are good to go..

I like the shine and chrome fat ring of the Rossi's... but then again.. Think I like also sloped with stainless mesh too ..
Agree the Rossi style takes away some of the old vw look..

I will use both on my next one.. ... well.. as pairs... not mix matched. Laughing
I plan to just swap out.. depending on my mood.. Laughing

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

I like the fat chrome ring too, it's the giant plastic cover over the turn signal bulb that ruins it for me. The og Rossi's have a better lens, but I'd be into it more if it was just a solid fat piece of chrome, ya know?

Haha, good thing they're quick to switch! I like that idea, on the fly changes. They each have a very distinct look that really changes the front end. Pretty easy way to mix things up every now and again.

Thanks again Ken, I'm off to the classifieds! Very Happy
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

Before you put time, and money into fixing up a fender with body work and paint, please confirm it is a real VW factory German part. Many many repro fenders exist, and almost all are not worth the effort to paint them. thin metal, poorly formed wheel opening lip, wrong headlamp or horn grill placement, different contours are some of the problems with many repro fenders. Some are just plain junk.

Bug On With Factory Steel!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

I thought the original Rossis were the plastic ones? Rolling Eyes
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Before you put time, and money into fixing up a fender with body work and paint, please confirm it is a real VW factory German part. Many many repro fenders exist, and almost all are not worth the effort to paint them. thin metal, poorly formed wheel opening lip, wrong headlamp or horn grill placement, different contours are some of the problems with many repro fenders. Some are just plain junk.

Bug On With Factory Steel!

Sound advice for sure. I should clarify that the previous owner already did the metal work on these fenders. He provided those photos in the ad when I bought it. The last photo of the car is how it sits now. I just wasn't sure about the year.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Front Fender Year Identification Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
I thought the original Rossis were the plastic ones? Rolling Eyes

Nope.. well sorta.. Laughing
Original Brazilian Rossi's have a metal stainless trim ring.. but mostly plastic everything else.. They have Rossi embossed on the park lens.
As with most things... Mother Nature is rough on them.. baking and freezing so the plastic parts get brittle.

I was lucky to find a NOS in the box pair a few year ago.. they are kept in the dark most of the time.. for now. . Laughing

Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: