Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bushings (maybe a dumb idea)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

maybe a dumb idea but what would happen if someone just cut the old style bushings (trailing and lower front) in half and installed them? is this even practical/feasible?
1990 vw automatic camper

Last edited by pushkick on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

Pardon me if you already know this but AFAIK, i think the way those OE type bushings work is this:

the inner metal sleeve, that's bonded to the surrounding bushing rubber, gets "clamped" (held from turning) between the two mount ears at body. So, as the arm moves, it's actually rotating the rubber against that metal inner sleeve.

If that made any sense.... Wink

So, i think there would be stability lost in that part when cut in half?

Neil

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

Powerflex urathane bushings are cut in two.

Their center metal sleeve is not bonded to the bushing like OEM ones.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

It's a curious thing to think through but since the OE bushing is bonded to the metal sleeve, I have to wonder that even with the pressure of the bolt/nut squeezing a cut OE bushing together, does the force imparted when the arm moves up/down cause the bushing halves to move independantly?

The Whiteline/Powerflex bushings obviously turn against the sleeve using it as a bearing surface.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

I wondered about this when I redid all the bushings in our Syncro with poly.
Do the original bonded bushings effect the rebound rate and therefore offer some additional damping of the LCAs?

I also wondered about all those stories of new rubber bushings failing; if they were torqued down while the LCA was at full droop instead of after the van was on the ground. This would put too much strain on the bonded surfaces when the van's weight was added leading to early failure?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

As a rule, you would torque the bolts with the suspension loaded, but for the DIY person that is a little difficult to do. You almost need some drive on ramps. Not a big fan of those though.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

Yeah I def. torqued my powerflex set down when the van was at full droop. Should I loosen them up and torque them back down when it is loaded?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Yeah I def. torqued my powerflex set down when the van was at full droop. Should I loosen them up and torque them back down when it is loaded?

I wouldn't worry about it since they are not bonded

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: bushings (maybe a dumb idea) Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

It's a curious thing to think through but since the OE bushing is bonded to the metal sleeve, I have to wonder that even with the pressure of the bolt/nut squeezing a cut OE bushing together, does the force imparted when the arm moves up/down cause the bushing halves to move independantly?

The Whiteline/Powerflex bushings obviously turn against the sleeve using it as a bearing surface.

Neil.

doesnt seem that it would happen due to the rubber being in contact with the trailing arm housing and the surface is the same. the metal bushing that the rubber is bonded to rides on the bolt, so movement would be minimal especially when the bolt is torqued down. i watched a you tube video on the rubber bushing install and the guy used grease to install the bushing in the trailing arm housing so this would seem to change the idea of the rubber adding to the resistance of trailing arm movement to some degree. and the concept of torquing loaded or unloaded.
1990 vw automatic camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: