Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS Sub frame mounts
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_omda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: IRS Sub frame mounts Reply with quote

Need some help identifying the mounting hardware for an IRS sub-frame to the body/pan.

I am refitting a sub frame that was pulled apart by someones else and I have some of the bits I need but was hoping anyone who has images of the body and pan mounting locations as well as the hardware needed to marry them up that would be great.

I have this link for some of the mounting hardware but still need the rest for the lower mounts as well as the images of the locations on the body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Sub frame mounts Reply with quote

el_omda wrote:
Need some help identifying the mounting hardware for an IRS sub-frame to the body/pan.

I am refitting a sub frame that was pulled apart by someones else and I have some of the bits I need but was hoping anyone who has images of the body and pan mounting locations as well as the hardware needed to marry them up that would be great.

I have this link for some of the mounting hardware but still need the rest for the lower mounts as well as the images of the locations on the body.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

You want to look at Group 7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_omda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Sub frame mounts Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
el_omda wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

You want to look at Group 7

Thanks for the reply, the info was useful as I didn't have any idea what the lower mounting hardware looked like. I am still confused as I also found some more mounts in group 8 for the upper mounts on the shock towers but my issue is that I am not certain if the rails on my body are whole, I feel that they may have been modified slightly.

If anyone has pictures of this area can they post up here as that will really help me decide if I need to bring those areas back to stock so the rear end will locate properly. It will need to be an image with the sub frame off. Thanks again.
el_omda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Sub frame mounts Reply with quote

Found the images needed. It seems that my pan has been modified and the mounting sections have been removed to replace a rail. Here are the images I was looking for showing the mounting points which were on the pan.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Sub frame mounts Reply with quote

el_omda wrote:
I also found some more mounts in group 8 for the upper mounts on the shock towers but my issue is that I am not certain if the rails on my body are whole, I feel that they may have been modified slightly.

If anyone has pictures of this area can they post up here as that will really help me decide if I need to bring those areas back to stock so the rear end will locate properly. It will need to be an image with the sub frame off. Thanks again.

Group 8 shows the front beam to body mounts because they're not mounted to the pan.

You may want to post up some pictures of your specific pan and issues that you've noticed to get some feedback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_omda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Sub frame mounts Reply with quote

Ok so here are some images of my pan to show what I am having to fix. Originally someone had started working on a conversion with this car (67 Squareback) to allow for a subaru wrx motor to be fitted. They started and got quite far but then never completed it. When I got this car it was in need of much work to go either way, to complete the conversion or go back. I opted to go back to original so from a doner body we were able to bring back the engine bay to original but just before I can refit the sub frame I noticed the mounts are not there. The image below shows the passenger side rear right at the end of the pan where it meets the body. you will see that a section was cut out (and this is on both sides. I suspect this was done to allow for new support beams to be welded in to assist as a lot of metal had been removed from the engine bay and rear section to allow for a larger motor.

el_omda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Sub frame mounts Reply with quote

If anyone in Melbourne has a pan they are wrecking that I can cut out those two sections from send me a message. Thanks again for the help and advice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: