Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Quote:

yeah, by no start
just what is it doing
do you get a slow crank
a multiple clicks/chatter
a single click
or nothing at all from the rear

Its a $10 charge for reporting a no-start without covering the above.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

If you swap an alternator yourself, make sure to start by disconnecting the negative battery cable.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

All previous post will likely point to your problem (if your symptoms are slow crank, no crank, clicking (starter not spinning engine fast enough)).
Loose wire(s), bad alternator, or bad battery.

The only other thing I can think of to check is the alternator mounts. This is a weak spot on the engine case that will often crack causing a loose belt which can cause the alt not to charge.

You might want to get a portable battery pack to prevent getting stuck out of cell service. They are anywhere from $50 to $100. The Li-Ion ones are tiny. If you have a "house" battery under your driver's seat, you can jump yourself with a set of cables too.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
...you can jump yourself with a set of cables too.
Oh Brother, that's just sick. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:

No Raoul is right. I learned at a young age self reliance is key Very Happy
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical prob Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
yeah, by no start
just what is it doing
do you get a slow crank
a single click
or nothing at all from the rear...

Everything pretty much depends on the answer to the above.

Not Vanagon Syndrome.

Possibly a hot-start issue (resolved by adding a relay, meanwhile do not shut it down unless you'll be parked awhile).

Could be Temp II sensor. It can fool you as while you are doing other stuff (getting a jump, looking for a cell signal) it cools enough to be okay.

Could be the battery or alternator.

Almost any auto parts place (O'reilly, AutoZone, etc. will wheel a tester out to the vehicle and test the battery (load test, not just voltage) and also test the alternator.

As mentioned, alternator replacement is straight-forward wrenching -- easily handled in a campground or parking lot.

It looks like it’s a hot start issue as several others have m ntioned. I got the van started this morning. Even stopped to get gas, and van started up fine several times.

So how do I add a relay? Is it as simple as getting a second battery strap (cable) and hooking it up from the negative terminal to a point on the frame?

Thanks!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Describe exactly what is happening when it acts up.
-d
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
E1 wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:

No Raoul is right. I learned at a young age self reliance is key Very Happy

No you didn't.

(sorry, just looking to mix it up on the web) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wink

— Colin Chapman
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Describe exactly what is happening when it acts up.
-d

This. Without that answer, it's all a shot in the dark hoping to replace the right part.

Is it a stick? Does it bump start when hot?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

here maybe you'll find this how to (blow up a transmission) video useful in bump starting a vw bus.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701385

**Warning kids, DO NOT try to bump start your bus in reverse** (Or G for you Syncro owners).

vwuguy wrote:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

yeah, by no start
just what is it doing
do you get a slow crank
a single click

Applicable for each failure to do so. OP, you're up to like 50 bux or something. Wink

As others mentioned, the battery still needs to be checked. A bad alternator can make a bad battery. If you end up needing a hard-start relay, Jay Brown's kit makes it easy:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1066289
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

yeah, by no start
just what is it doing
do you get a slow crank
a single click

chimivee wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:

yeah, by no start
just what is it doing
do you get a slow crank
a single click

Applicable for each failure to do so. OP, you're up to like 50 bux or something. Wink

As others mentioned, the battery still needs to be checked. A bad alternator can make a bad battery. If you end up needing a hard-start relay, Jay Brown's kit makes it easy:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1066289

Ok who do I pay? Very Happy

Last night, when I turned the key, I didn’t hear anything. No click of the starter.

I had the battery and alternator checked this morning at Napa- both good with battery at 12.6V and alternator at 13.5V unloaded and 13.24V loaded (wipers, hi beams, fan on).

So I added a second ground. Not sure if I did it right but so far no problems with starting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

that's a good start but 1/2 way there.

I'd mentioned in my earlier post.. add a cable from the (cleaned) lower starter bolt to the frame. I use a long one and bolt to the frame where the oem gnd strap is on the DS front of the transaxle.

danfromsyr wrote:

clean the ground paths, add an additional ground strap from the starter bolt to the (clean) chassis bolt.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Ride-Fly wrote:

So I added a second ground. Not sure if I did it right but so far no problems with starting.

I hope this solves it but when you get home you might want to look into why the OG ground strap wasn't doing it for you. You're going from the same - battery terminal to a different part of the chassis a few inches away from the old ground. Bad cable? Corroded bolt on the old one?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Ignition switch.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Ignition switch.

Really? Intermittent fault of the ignition switch? Hmm, never would’ve guessed that. How do I test that? Thanks Raoul.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Raoul may be onto it.

Know that if you do this test as I have, you'll soon know the "hot" part of hot wiring:
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=33

— Colin Chapman
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Have you checked and rechecked all grounds and made sure that all bolts and cables are making contact with bare metal? Check the main ground coming off of the front of the transaxle and possibly replace. That particular ground is hugely important and any sort of resistance can cause problems. Do you have a spare ignition switch in your kit? Those darn switches are finicky as hell and even a new one can cause problems. I carry a couple in my kit just in case. Hope you get it sorted out.
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

Ignition switch is cheap, and again, easy to do on the side of the road. I had many of the same symptoms, and switching it solved those random (and often hot, until it stated happening when cold too). I would check a FLAP for one. if nothing else, you are sure it isnt you problem if it persists.

Look up "Ignition Switch" problem here on the Samba
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road to Yellowstone...I’ve got an odd electrical problem Reply with quote

I haven’t had the problem again since, but I’ll be checking all the grounds and look up YouTube videos on changing out ignitions once I’m back home. Smile

BTW, as I was driving up the GrandLoop towards the Continental Divide, I heard someone say on the Walkie talkie “is that you Fly Rider?” Was wondering if someone on the Samba was also touring Yellowstone...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: