Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Make them modern...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
That's what I don't get - if you don't like the cars in the first place, why even start with one?

Wanting to be able to do 75 doesn’t meant you don’t like the car.

You can do 75 without an engine swap - so talking about being disingenuous Laughing
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
That's what I don't get - if you don't like the cars in the first place, why even start with one?

No modification is necessary on 1966-67 vehicles. A stock 66 VW top speed is 75mph. All you need is a post 1965 car. No problem.

Last edited by Helfen on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

On the other hand, what if someone acquired a car that was pounded into the ground, stripped of anything valuable or usable, left to rot, & forgotten about for decades? I feel that the individual saving the carcass has an open canvas to do whatever the hell they want to do with it. Ultimately, the person that owns it gets to do anything they want with it.

I've had people try to tell me what I could/should do with a few of my cars & my response is that there's only two ways that they have any input on what happens to the car, buy it or pay me to make it the way you want it, here's my price.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
I'm not saying people can't do what they want to their car. I'm just saying it's like buying an apple pie, scraping out all the filling, then replacing it with handfuls of sardines.

Why not just buy the sardines you really wanted in the first place? Why ruin the apple pie? Whatever floats a person's boat I guess.

You look at a bug as an already fiished pie while they look at it as a recipie. A bit of allspice in the crust, some rubarb in the filling, and a bit of rasberry bark in the crust may not be what you are use to, but I dont understand why people that like it need to be treated so dismissively

Try looking at it in this way and it applies to all makes of cars. Take a look at the 1962 Pontiac styling, The 1968-69 Pontiac Tempest, LeMans and GTO, Buick Riviera 1995-99. Those cars were Bill Porters design for GM. There are hundreds more examples like Erwin Komenda who designed the VW Beetle body.
I have no problem with someone who wants a custom car, just build your own car if you think you can do better. Don't do over someone else's creation.

It's like if you bought a Rembrandt painting and then began adding your own touches to it. Why not just paint your own picture. I know a Rembrandt is much more valuable than a Beetle, but still your doing over someone else's work. Someone who knows a lot more about design that any of us would ever hope to know.

Come on man, that is disengenuous at best. No one here is telling someone to to modify their 300SL. They are saying if you buy a peir imports mass produced wood sign, it shouldn’t offend anyone if you add the apostrophe they opted not to to keep the sign cheap.

What I said was not disingenuous in the least. Is the Komenda's VW design any less worthy than Rudolf Uhlenhaut's ? No. The 300SL was designed to a certain purpose as was the beetle. Though both have a different purpose doesn't make one more worthy than the other. To say otherwise "would" be disingenuous.

dis·in·gen·u·ous
ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: disingenuous
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

I think not.

Yoy compaired the most produces car to ever exist to a Rembrandt. How is that not disengenuous? What makes one more worthy is the fact they made very few of them while the other has had millions upon millions put out.

Mos6502 wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

You can do 75 without an engine swap - so talking about being disingenuous Laughing

75 puts your rpms in the 3500 range which is not suitable for cruising. The 72 manual even states a max maintained speed of roughly 72 (or 3200 rpms)

Helfen wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

Since this is a 1958-1967 section no modification is necessary on 1966-67 vehicles. A stock 66 VW top speed is 75mph. All you need is a post 1965 car. No problem.

Top speed (which is stated to be 81 btw, but good luck with that), not cruising speed. Max suggested cruising speed is 72 or 3200 RMPs and even that ain’t great.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Then get a new car. Rolling Eyes

In the moped scene, we sometimes get people who want to know how to make their moped go 50-60mph. The answer anybody who knows/cares will give is "buy a motorcycle" by the time you've upgraded a moped designed for 25mph, to go 50mph, put in brakes, wheels, tires, to handle the speed - what you end up with is a really shitty motorcycle. Laughing If you want a motorcycle, buy a motorcycle and don't waste your time bastardizing mopeds.

To a lesser extent the same lesson applies to old cars.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
75 puts your rpms in the 3500 range which is not suitable for cruising. The 72 manual even states a max maintained speed of roughly 72 (or 3200 rpms)

Top speed (which is stated to be 81 btw, but good luck with that), not cruising speed. Max suggested cruising speed is 72 or 3200 RMPs and even that ain’t great.

Care to share the references where you're getting this info from? The owner manuals I'm seeing all show top speed and cruise speed to be the same and there's no mention of a maximum safe cruise engine speed.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:

Care to share the references where you're getting this info from? The owner manuals I'm seeing all show top speed and cruise speed to be the same and there's no mention of a maximum safe cruise engine speed.

Yes, and also say you can run all day long at this speed.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

[quote="Eskamobob1"]
Helfen wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
I'm not saying people can't do what they want to their car. I'm just saying it's like buying an apple pie, scraping out all the filling, then replacing it with handfuls of sardines.

Why not just buy the sardines you really wanted in the first place? Why ruin the apple pie? Whatever floats a person's boat I guess.

You look at a bug as an already fiished pie while they look at it as a recipie. A bit of allspice in the crust, some rubarb in the filling, and a bit of rasberry bark in the crust may not be what you are use to, but I dont understand why people that like it need to be treated so dismissively

Try looking at it in this way and it applies to all makes of cars. Take a look at the 1962 Pontiac styling, The 1968-69 Pontiac Tempest, LeMans and GTO, Buick Riviera 1995-99. Those cars were Bill Porters design for GM. There are hundreds more examples like Erwin Komenda who designed the VW Beetle body.
I have no problem with someone who wants a custom car, just build your own car if you think you can do better. Don't do over someone else's creation.

It's like if you bought a Rembrandt painting and then began adding your own touches to it. Why not just paint your own picture. I know a Rembrandt is much more valuable than a Beetle, but still your doing over someone else's work. Someone who knows a lot more about design that any of us would ever hope to know.

Come on man, that is disengenuous at best. No one here is telling someone to to modify their 300SL. They are saying if you buy a peir imports mass produced wood sign, it shouldn’t offend anyone if you add the apostrophe they opted not to to keep the sign cheap.

What I said was not disingenuous in the least. Is the Komenda's VW design any less worthy than Rudolf Uhlenhaut's ? No. The 300SL was designed to a certain purpose as was the beetle. Though both have a different purpose doesn't make one more worthy than the other. To say otherwise "would" be disingenuous.

dis·in·gen·u·ous
ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: disingenuous
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

I think not.

<You compaired the most produced car to ever exist to a Rembrandt. How is that not disengenuous? What makes one more worthy is the fact they made very few of them while the other has had millions upon millions put out.>

Answer- No, what I am saying is it doesn't matter who's work it is that you shouldn't do over someone else's work. Where I live I know several builders who build their own cars from scratch. Chassis, body, suspension. Even one guy who makes his own engines from his own designs.

Mos6502 wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

<You can do 75 without an engine swap - so talking about being disingenuous>

Wrong, the 1966 manual says top speed and cruising speed is 75mph-

<75 puts your rpms in the 3500 range which is not suitable for cruising. The 72 manual even states a max maintained speed of roughly 72 (or 3200 rpms)>

Where? I can't find that in the 1972 manual. What page please?

Helfen wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

Since this is a 1958-1967 section no modification is necessary on 1966-67 vehicles. A stock 66 VW top speed is 75mph. All you need is a post 1965 car. No problem.

<Top speed (which is stated to be 81 btw, but good luck with that), not cruising speed. Max suggested cruising speed is 72 or 3200 RMPs and even that ain’t great.
>

Are you talking about the 1972 manual again? What page does it say that? As said before the 1966 manual says 75MPH
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

In a perfect world, I’d modernize on a VW engine:
Roller lifters and roller camshaft profiles. No more flat cams.
It just seems dumb not to take advantage of the technology.
A massive redesign of the VW Air Cooled Engine case:
Oil Filter mounting boss on the rear of the engine.
Oil Line Boss at the front of the engine for oil cooling.
Get rid of the sump, replace with oil Pans that could be available with different capacities.
And make it so the cam drops out the bottom of the case, so we don't have to split the case to change a cam.
Drop the cam lower in the case, and use a chain.
Add a rear cover, for access to the cam gear.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Only thing modern would be the oil filter.
All else was in common use by ww2 Razz
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
In a perfect world, I’d modernize on a VW engine:
Roller lifters and roller camshaft profiles. No more flat cams.
It just seems dumb not to take advantage of the technology.
A massive redesign of the VW Air Cooled Engine case:
Oil Filter mounting boss on the rear of the engine.
Oil Line Boss at the front of the engine for oil cooling.
Get rid of the sump, replace with oil Pans that could be available with different capacities.
And make it so the cam drops out the bottom of the case, so we don't have to split the case to change a cam.
Drop the cam lower in the case, and use a chain.
Add a rear cover, for access to the cam gear.

You do that!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Let's talk about the elephant in the room...personal automated drone transportation. Our VW's will be worthless Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy at that point, even roads will be obsolete, but maybe we can add propellers, I hope
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Let's talk about the elephant in the room...personal automated drone transportation. Our VW's will be worthless Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy at that point, even roads will be obsolete, but maybe we can add propellers, I hope

Might be worthless to some folks, but sure as hell won't be worthless to me. I have no desire for automated transportation, personal or otherwise.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

But with no more public money being directed to maintain roads and possibly roads being converted to solar electric generation, then what? Just garage queens? Until us old fogeys die out? This keeps me up at night Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
But with no more public money being directed to maintain roads and possibly roads being converted to solar electric generation, then what? Just garage queens? Until us old fogeys die out? This keeps me up at night Laughing

Psssh Rolling Eyes just raise your VW back up to stock height & it’ll merrily trudge along through the paths, trails, & fields that it was designed to accommodate to begin with.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Psssh Rolling Eyes just raise your VW back up to stock height & it’ll merrily trudge along through the paths, trails, & fields that it was designed to accommodate to begin with.

Lol, I exactly thought of your ghiapet when I wrote the above, I think you're ideas are the future
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

Who needs pavement? Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Who needs pavement? Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice!
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

Nope, they will legislate them off the road.
With self driving cars and their supposed added safety no drivers licenses will be needed or issued. Remember driving a car with a license is a PRIVALAGE not a RIGHT, and it says so in every states motor vehicle rule book.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

This won't happen while you are alive
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: