Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Anyone with a general mapping of the fuel system for a 74 Thing? Specifically the components it flows to and the tubing for each juncture. Greatly appreciate any pictures or diagrams.
Thanks!
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Runs through the tunnel. Enters the tunnel under the gas tank and exits on the left of the pan, behind the left wheel. It is just one long piece of pipe. I just changed mine. it is not easy. I removed the shiftter and the linkage to the gearbox from the front inspection cover behind the front bumper, yes you have to remove the bumper too. Pulled the pipe from the opening above the shifer linkage to the gearbox under the back seat. pulled the back first and then the front. It is not easy. once the tube is removed. insert the new pipe from the back and reinstall the shifter linkage and the shifter. hope this helps. good luck
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Agreed. I pulled the copper line out of my tunnel when I had the pan apart for restoration and replaced it with a piece of larger ID brake tubing to insure the 2234 I was installing had no fuel delivery issues. Not the easiest thing to do with the car assembled, but not impossible either.
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply’s! A follow-up. What is the purpose of the box above the fuel tank and another on the other side of the engine compartment? Read something about a file evaporation system...? Thank you again.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

The old school repair for a fuel line plug is to use a long section of square shafted speedo cable on a drill motor, pb blaster/wait/ use sports ball needle valve on compressor then drill and so on. I have spent many hours on this so that I can still say I have never been up against a fuel line I was unable to restore. Since there is brake line on the driver's side a second line can be attached using small poly pro tie wraps A new exit hole with rubber grommet is added for the fuel line to exit at the floor level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Thank you! I recently had the floor pans replaced and was left with an unknown line hanging from underneath the chassis connected to a black box. With your diagram I believe this is "Vent line" to the charcoal filter.

= Filter
= Vent line.

There are metal brackets. Do you happen to know what the route is that this line takes?
Again, Thank you.
Mark

[/img]
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

The square tabs bolt onto the body bolts along the pan. It only fits on one side,
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Perfect. Thank you!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

There's another diagram here.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Good post!! I was trying to locate the masterful enhanced "capt" version....Super clear... great graphics
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Line Mapping for a 74 Thing Reply with quote

Really appreciate the added documentation. Thank you all for the posts. Hope to return the favor sometime.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: