Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

...for my 'coolant overflow' tank so far I have been making do with a hose leading to a plastic water bottle... it's working OK - no probs so far, although last year at one point the first bottle I was using sprang a leak which went unnoticed for sometime leading to slightly low coolant levels.

A guy in Germany gave me what he says is an original coolant overflow tank for a JX DIESEL engine and I figure it would be wise to install it....

...so I am just being safe and inquiring if there are any particular special considerations to keep in mind before and while doing this?

I haven't looked yet but I might guess it can require drilling some holes in order to mount it properly...... ??? Otherwise I can't think of anything else that might be of concern.

Does it mean that once this is in there, I can simply use IT to check my coolant levels? ...and add coolant to IT instead of my main coolant tank?

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

Just look for the two holes in the rear valance underneath the license door. It's held in place by two 6mm bolts passing through those holes. Easy peasy

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

Quote:
Does it mean that once this is in there, I can simply use IT to check my coolant levels? ...and add coolant to IT instead of my main coolant tank?

That was the idea. From time to time, you'd still probably want to look at your actual tank. A few things need to work properly for the coolant to flow back and forth.

I think there is a bracket for the plastic tang on the bottom too to help support it.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

Thanks.... I found out this is a LATE tank for my EARLY diesel, but should work none the less.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

I have an aftermarket generic tank on mine. Got it off of Amazon. $15 I recall. Works fine.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

Not enough space back there for this tank to fit - so I went back to my 'overflow-bottle' system but upgraded to a heavier plastic bottle. My only complaint about this system is that this bottle doesn't hold so much coolant.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

Hi Guys... I am installing the new overflow tank and when I tried to remove the old hose from it it ripped apart the nipple 😞 Is there any way I can still use this tank?

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

maybe you can find a threaded barb hose connector in the suitable size in a garden- or plumbers shop

Next time use a blade to cut the old hose throuugh before trying to remove it

Last edited by ZsZ on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
maybe you can find a threaded barb hose connector in the suitable size in a garden- or plumbers shop

Neyt time use a blade to cut the old hose throuugh before trying to remove it

yes! Embarassed Live and learn!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8mm-Hose-Barb-x-M8...PHJ0rV7LnA

This is it, but how to reach into the tank to hold a nut firmly while tightening??
Actually, I could probably get a box-wrench in there.....

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

I used a generic dorman one to replace the missing one from my van, fit fine over the trans near the back

Space looked tight in the factory spot with the engine the PO swapped in..

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
I used a generic dorman one to replace the missing one from my van, fit fine over the trans near the back

Space looked tight in the factory spot with the engine the PO swapped in..

Nice looking engine! Your battery looks pretty tall!
- - -
Yes I just barely managed to get my burb tank squeezed in there and spend a bunch of time getting new holes drilled - so I really want to make this thing work > and I do like being able to add coolant from the rear - although I really doubt I even would do that.

I am not sure how I am going to find such a fitting

I found some similar things in the compressor accessories dept. of the local home store... maybe I will just try to order something online.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

Considering this is for the overflow tank, and not subject to pressure, you really don't need a brass fitting that requires a nut inside of the tank. Consider a barb-to-male pipe thread fitting and drill/tap the hole to accept.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

I doubt there's enough meat there to take enough threads to seal an npt fitting... But maybe?

Otherwise I'd say try and find a plastic fitting, most hardware stores have them near the brass fittings, and some plastic JB weld to secure it. That way even if the npt side doesn't seal it'll be globbed together with the plastic weld and should hold.

Or just go get a universal one Razz
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

riceye wrote:
drill/tap the hole to accept.

Yeah I saw one of these at a store today... but do you think there is enough thickness to that plastic tank to get much of a thread tapped into it?
EDIT: just measured, it is 2mm thick... not sure if that is thick enough for a thread??
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

I don't believe there is sufficient wall thickness to tap dependable threads, esp. in such soft material. The least bit of overtightening of that fitting or a snagging of the hose will strip the threads and you'll have no end of leaks. They'll be low-pressure leaks but leaks nonetheless, and one day the expansion tank will begin sucking air into the system from a dry tank ...

Polyethylene is notoriously difficult to glue/seal. The best place for any such sealants or other goop is on the wet side anyway, and getting it in there is hardly any easier than installing a proper nut with rubber & flat washers. Sure, it'll be like building a ship in a bottle, but you're a skilled luthier and you've fixed far worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

haha... I just ordered this one from the UK ($3.50) Barbed & Threaded Fittings 6mm x M8 x 1.0 Barbed Hose
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barbed-Threaded-Fitting...100623.m-1

But I am wondering if it is the correct size? The ID of my hose is 8mm. So I was thinking that on this fitting the OD of the barbed part would be 6mm, and the threads would be M8. All good but what is this "1.0" they have written referring to??

EDIT: I don't think they have the right foto there. An M8 thread is a bit more than 8mm OD... and on this pic the thread and the barb part look the same OD. ...anyhow, I'll find a way to make it work somehow.

EDTI2: ...oh I think the 1.0 probably means 1 inch long. Because there is a sister fitting which is 4mm X M6 X 1.0
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
just measured, it is 2mm thick... not sure if that is thick enough for a thread??

From the picture it appeared the broken bit was long enough to work with. 2mm is not enough. A fitting that sandwiches the tank with washers and a nut is a much better option.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding coolant overflow tank (1,6 TD JX) Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
EDTI2: ...oh I think the 1.0 probably means 1 inch long. Because there is a sister fitting which is 4mm X M6 X 1.0

M6 x 1.0 means a 6mm Diameter screw with 1.0mm between threads. And it will have 4mm of those threads.

You know there's a thing called, "Google", right?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: