Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mosquitoes
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

I know it's said everything has it's place in this world and removing one thing could cause a cascading effect on any number of things.... That said, I'd be perfectly ok with ALL mosquitoes being eradicated from this planet.

H2OSB
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Lots of fish and birds would lose an important food source. But yes, they are annoying.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

I am rarely if ever bit by them........ and here in NJ we do indeed have them in spades!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
Lots of fish and birds would lose an important food source. But yes, they are annoying.

Not to mention bats.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Bad year for skeets around here. Lots of spring flooding and rain creating pools and habitat for the incessant little bastards. Bites don't bother me too much, they are just an annoyance. But my wife and daughter gets big welts from the bites.

Within a couple of weeks the pools with dry out and the skeets will be gone. Then we get black flies, deer flies, gnats, yellow jackets, and wildfire smoke.

Then snow, and along with snow, peace.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

My wife uses a Pinterest mosquito formula made from epsom salt, stale beer, and mouthwash. She sprays it around the back porch and the garage. It actually works Shocked and keeps the skeeters away. Plus, who doesn't like the smell of stale beer and mouthwash.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

After hurricane Harvey and the flood, Houston seems to have them worse Sad
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

These things actually work pretty well. I use them in front of the shop door in the spring and summer to keep the bastards at bay while working with the door open.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8BJVN7/ref=asc_df_B0...2329889093
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

They are known in Vt. as the state bird.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
They are known in Vt. as the state bird.

Same thing in Minnesota. Though the actual state bird is the common loon. Do what you will with that info.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Remember "A Sound of Thunder" and "The Butterfly Effect" ????

If you kill a #%^&%#%& skeeter or fly you might change all of history...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Remember "A Sound of Thunder" and "The Butterfly Effect" ????

If you kill a #%^&%#%& skeeter or fly you might change all of history...

I'll take that chance.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

I believe cusser was edited. Did it feel like you got your hand slapped? Whacked across your knuckles with a ruler by a nun? After like age 15, a " time out"is no longer punishment.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

The Mosquito is the State Bird of Alaska.
When I was visiting my Brother in Alaska I though I saw a few mosquitoes so big that they had tail numbers.
When I was visiting my Brother in Alaska I was amazed how well the mosquitoes worked as a team.
Two would pull your eyelid open, and the third would remove your eye.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Some political comments were removed
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:

How in the hell do mosquitoes get political, glad I missed that but could probably guess correctly who would be chief instigator...

Worst I’ve ever seen were in swamps of southern Louisiana, Morgan City, New Iberia. These are or were jumping off points to catch a helicopter or a work boat to oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico... so bad they are capable of getting through heavy denim to bite you. Anybody old enough tho remember trucks running around with sprayers using DDT to to kill these things? Very prevalent throughout the south. Better living through chemistry.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

I've driven through areas here where what looked like fog was actually swarms of mosquitos. Driving out to a remote oil rig at night, the mosquitos were so bad we had to pull over a couple of times to clean off the headlights so we could see. Ran out of water in the windshield washer too. Look down at your arms or legs and see nothing but black fuzz. Yes, we do occasionally get a few mosquitos here. Laughing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:

How in the hell do mosquitoes get political, glad I missed that but could probably guess correctly who would be chief instigator...

Worst I’ve ever seen were in swamps of southern Louisiana, Morgan City, New Iberia. These are or were jumping off points to catch a helicopter or a work boat to oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico... so bad they are capable of getting through heavy denim to bite you. Anybody old enough tho remember trucks running around with sprayers using DDT to to kill these things? Very prevalent throughout the south. Better living through chemistry.

I wondered about the political BS, too. Glad I missed it.

As a kid growing up in central MN, the trucks would roll by nearly every night through our little neighborhood, spraying whatever they sprayed in the early 80's to combat the skeets. I also clearly remember running right behind the truck to be in the cloud. It was fun!

I'm gonna die twitching.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Our family used to do back country canoe trips in Yellowstone park.

The Mosquitoes were so bad that they would attack every time we opened a pot of rice for dinner.
Any exposed skin was like a buffet for the little buggers.

To take a dump. You had to be armed with a roll of TP, a small shovel, and a can of "Off." Shocked You work out the logistics!

Stinking things could work their way through a pair of fresh Levi's no problem.

I miss those trips. Not the Mosquitoes!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Exterminate the brutes Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I'm gonna die twitching.

Primo sig material right there.

Sheeesh- how exactly does one use the subject of mosquitoes to further a political stance? The vicious pissmires bite pinkos and reactionaries alike, last time I checked. Can't we all just get along- and unite to hate the fuckers as one?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: