Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mosquitoes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

I have watched Lilo and Stitch, you cant eradicate the mosquito population! If we do the aliens will destroy the planet! It's like Pleakley says "educate yourself"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lilo+and+stit...ORM=VDQVAP

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Anybody old enough tho remember trucks running around with sprayers using DDT to to kill these things? Very prevalent throughout the south. Better living through chemistry.

East coast too in the 60's and early 70's. I lived in MA at the time.
Like cdennisg wrote; I'm gonna die twitching too.

Worst camping trip I ever took was north of Lake Superior in Canada. The black flies were so bad that the dog ran from the camper to the lake, and back to cool off. It didn't even want to be any where near the flies either. We wised up, and tried to stay under water to keep from getting bitten. Only summer time camping trip I'd ever been on where being fully dressed in denim was the order of the day (normal was shorts, tee shirt, and bare feet). We used a lot of OFF at that place. We only stayed 1 night and moved on (was planning on staying 3 days there).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Mosquitos and ticks I hate. And poisonous snakes.

I don't camp in the summer in the woods. If it is a campground, I will go.

But until it is late Fall is only time I will go into the woods for hunting. When all the above are gone for the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Mosquitos and ticks I hate. And VENOMOUS snakes.

I don't camp in the summer in the woods.

Wuss.
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Northern Maine - seems all the bugs bite. One of them green-headed horseflies will dislocate your shoulder when it lands on your arm, had one bite me when I was mowing the first summer I was here, thought the mower had kicked up a rock that hit my cheek. And there's even one species of dragonfly up here thats supposed to bite, but I don't know which it is, (yet?). 27 species of mosquitos, so there's something hungry just about all year 'round 'cept the dead of winter. BUT...no poisonous snakes to speak of. We spent summers in southern Illinois when kids, romping and frolicking through the DDT fog behind the trucks. In south Texas ("The Valley"), they would set DDT foggers off in the classrooms every morning, (not when they were occupied, thankfully). I recall the main scourge of DDT was what it did to birds' egg-shells, made them too thin to bear the birds' weight. The decline of the American Bald Eagle population back then was directly attributed to the stuff. Nowadays I just slather on something with at least 20% DEET, watch anything I touch made of vynyl or rubber melt, and go about my business.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Skeeters are mostly gone now around here, but I got nailed again (second time in a week) by a wasp this afternoon. They are hot and grumpy nowadays.

Winter will be here soon....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

I heard a ruckus around the back of the barn the other day and arrive in time to see a couple of mosquitoes just finishing off a horse. "Shall we eat him here or take him home?" one of them says. "We better eat him up quick now," says the other "Cuz if my big brother sees us he will beat us up and take him away!"

We have several varieties here too, some earlier in the year and some later. Some of them attack in the dark and some in full daylight. Usually mid day in the hot sun is the best time with the least critters. A wind helps keep them off too but there is a variety that seem to ride the wind for the extra momentum it gives their stingers!

I have seen them so bad here that the farmers had to shut off their tractors every 15 or 20 minutes and clean off the rad to keep them from overheating. I have hayed wet ditches when they rose up ahead of the mower just like the grass was on fire and smoking! There have been times that we could not go outside without rags over our faces to keep them out of our mouths.

This year has been pretty good as it has been dry and hot. The downside is that the crops and gardens are poor, horse and deer flies bad and grass fires common.

It's not a perfect world!
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

just a typical day out fishing
https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2018/08/02/watch-t...al-alaska/ Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:

Fuck mosquitoes.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

On Naked and Afraid on the Discovery Channel, insect bites are the #1 reason people cannot finish the 21 days.

Yet thousands of folks apply to take this challenge.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

why in hell would anyone go into the woods completely naked? Humans have always covered themselves from the elements. And these supposedly smart neanderthals insist on going nude.

When you see live maggots living in your own skin, you know then you screwed up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:

That looks almost as bad as south Louisiana!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Here in western Orygun. We don't get many mosquitoes in the burbs.

But we do get flies. On any hot day. When I open my front door. It seems a fly is just waiting for the opportunity to get inside my cool living room.

I hate house flies with a passion. They don't bite. But they do bug the hell out of me.
I have used rolled up newspapers, fly swatters, fly paper streamers hanging from the ceiling and Raid (yuck). All the weapons are hit and miss.
The streamers take time to catch flies.
And the Raid is gonna give me an awesome twitching death. Shocked

Fast forward to last week. I ordered a Bug-A-Salt rifle.
Flies don't last more than 30 seconds inside my house now! Very Happy Cool Laughing

Kill flies. They are the bane of my existence!

Carry on hating Mosquitoes!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
When you see live maggots living in your own skin, you know then you screwed up.

Word to live by
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Back in the 1960s Shell Oil Co. sold a product called “no pest strip” an oblong looking little box folks hung in their kitchens and common areas to kill skeeters. As I recall it worked but it must have been another dose of better living through chemistry because these too were removed quietly from the market. Ah yes the good old days Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Back in the 1960s Shell Oil Co. sold a product called “no pest strip” an oblong looking little box folks hung in their kitchens and common areas to kill skeeters. As I recall it worked but it must have been another dose of better living through chemistry because these too were removed quietly from the market. Ah yes the good old days Very Happy

I should have done a google search before I wrote the above statements. Seems there’s a bit of bad info on the product, bad for your health that is but seems as though you can still buy this in Mexico. You can also buy clordane and other odd things.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
On Naked and Afraid on the Discovery Channel, insect bites are the #1 reason people cannot finish the 21 days.

Yet thousands of folks apply to take this challenge.....

nsracing wrote:
why in hell would anyone go into the woods completely naked? Humans have always covered themselves from the elements. And these supposedly smart neanderthals insist on going nude.

The challengers can make clothing if they desire, first priority should be shoes so they can travel/hunt faster. And clothes and footwear are a lot easier if you can get an animal hide.

Basically these challengers spend the majority of their time trying to get food, water, shelter, something that was pretty common in the world until a couple hundered years ago at most, and still takes place in some regions of the world.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

That show would be more interesting if they showed some T and A from time to time, just my opinion 😀
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mosquitoes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
That show would be more interesting if they showed some T and A from time to time, just my opinion 😀

Especially of Sarah Danser
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: