Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wire ID Help Request
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fedallah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Wire ID Help Request Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi Everyone.

I have been lurking in these forums for a long time while deciding to buy a van...

Well now I am a new owner of a 1990 Vanagon full camper with an automatic transmission. Last night I had to pull down the fuse panel for the first time and despite being gentle I am pretty sure I inadvertently pulled out a few wires. I have looked at the Bentley manual and am struggling to ID how to hook this back together.

The first wire is a fairly heavy gauge red wire (see Picture) . From the manual it looks like this is part of the ignition system and should plug into P6 or P7 but there is already a heavy gauge wire there that is in the P7 slot (see picture of other red wires already plugged into P. It honestly looks like it should go in the N terminal but that is nowhere in the Bentley manual and I believe N should be free. Any ideas?

The second mystery for solving is the wires on the other side of the fuse panel. I know the picture is hard to see but there is one solo blue wire with a yellow junction thing on it. Second, there is another yellow junction thing with two grey/blue wires coming out of it and one clear female receptor with two grey/blue wired coming out of it. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire ID Help Request Reply with quote

where to start is as all of us have done is locate the terminals that have bare or opened terminals and see what the bently says should be there. That red wire is a power wire and should have 12volts at it or to it. looks like a possible candidate from the starter. but please discribe more and see if you can trace the wires a bit and you will get real great help from someone looking at the bently as Im on holiday in the UK and cannot access my bently in the US.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire ID Help Request Reply with quote

There are a few loose wire behind the instrument panel for options for the van. If you don't have that option, there might be connector dangling with nothing connected to it. What options does your Westy have? Are there anything that no longer works?

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
Fedallah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire ID Help Request Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for he response. My van has cruise, a/c, power windows and locks and a 4 speaker stereo.

In looking at the Bentley manual it looks like the wires may be for the heated seats which I do not have so that may be the answer...

The Red wire was part of the ignition system and I placed it in slot P6 based on the Bentley manual.

I can figure out the blue wire though...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wire ID Help Request Reply with quote

It is possible the blue male spade doesn't hook to anything. There is only 1 place on the back of the fuse panel for a certain blue wire circuit. Since there can be more than one option that needs to plug a blue wire there, VW adds a short expansion blue wire to the option harnesses that use it.

The clue is that it is a male spade that is hanging there, waiting for another option harness that needs to share the blue wire signal. The place where option harnesses plug into the fuse panel blue wire circuit is male pin G4 on the back of the panel. It is a male spade pin. So when that pin is used by the first option harness that needs it, that harness provides a short male pin wire for the next option harness plug into.

Mark
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wire ID Help Request Reply with quote

DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE POKING AROUND BEHIND THE FUSE PANEL! 😉

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Fedallah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire ID Help Request Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. After going through the Bentley and being unable to find anything definitive I will just have to leave as is and see if anything is not working. It does make sense that the each of those is not meant to be connected but it is concerning.

As for the battery recommendation I can confirm that I did disconnect prior to messing around but that no amount of reminders is enough so thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: