Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelsonhogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

The saga continues. Dylan at Insyncro had me order a new GoWesty drive shaft when he was installing a Bostig conversion. This was 2 years ago but it was only installed last summer and the van has been driven less than 50 miles since as I try to track down issues and reinstall the camper bits.

In any case, one issue is a vibration starting at 50mph. I removed the drive shaft and the vibration went away. Then the question is where do I go from here?

Looking at the drive shaft and the photos on the GW site I see that there is no GW decal and I also see scuffs and surface rust. Also the balancing weight are rectangular whereas they appear to be round on the GW photo. For various reasons I think Dylan could have pulled another fast one on me and installed an older one from one of his vans. Any opinion?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Does it have a slip yoke in the driveshaft? Balancing driveshafts is pretty common. Shouldn't bee too hard to find some one to balance it in your area. I don't know the answer to your original question.

Good luck on the hunt for the vibration gremlins. Checking the balance is one of the cheaper and easier things to do in trying to diagnose this issue.

Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

It is unlikely GW is making their own driveshafts. They probably also have a local company making them and the shape of the weights have no bearing on who did the work in my opinion.

The problem with the solid shaft is that the length needs to be exactly correct without the quibo or a slip joint. That is difficult to do I would think with so many R and R's. Plus if this has a different engine, transmission flange angle could be slightly off from the stock WBX.

Somewhere here is a good thread about driveshaft angles. There is also a very good U Tube video on drive shaft angles. When you watch it and begin to understand what is being discussed, the syncro driveshaft should not work.

If the driveshaft is out of round from manufacturing, a local driveshaft company can check it for you. A dial indicator on both ends could also tell you if it is out of round. Back yard way to balance a driveshaft is with a hose clamp or 2. Mount the clamp and drive it. Then rotate the clamp slightly and drive again. If vibration is better or worse, keep moving the clamp. Often the worm gear mechanism weight is enough to compensate. Good luck.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

The problem with those cheap GW donut-less driveshafts is that everything else in the drivetrain needs to be perfect. Including the distance between the two flanges.
As mentioned, with a engine conversion and a different cradle the stock settings are gone.
You can still use that driveshaft, but you'll need to get the rest of the alignment as near perfect as possible. If you think the shaft has been damaged (the paint is thin so a little rust might not be any problem) have it checked.

Again, take the time to read through the threads on Syncro vibration, driveshaft angles, etc. The front diff and transaxle need to be inline to each other and then the angles on the output flanges and the driveshaft need to be correct.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580920
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

From the Gowesty web site: http://www.gowesty.com/product/manual/23934/syncro-driveshaft-drive-flange-

So, if you you have a mysterious vibration even after installing a brand new driveshaft, look carefully at the flanges. You might have a flange that has a goofed up mating surface (which is actually quite common from letting the driveshaft drop inadvertently during removal). No worries, GoWesty has brand spankin' new ones!
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Why don't you request Dylan to fix the vibration, should be part of the job.
I think that should be the first attempt before posting the issue.
nelsonhogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Well, I wish I could ask Dylan to fix it. But, I've had to give up on that route. I've had a number of problems and discoveries that I've asked him about. In every case, he gives the response that it is my problem, not his. The last time he claimed that he was giving up working on vans and turning his shop into a writing studio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

How very sad.
I'm sure there are things we don't know, but one should stand behind the work they do. I'm sure it was not inexpensive.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Burley advised me that this is the shaft he recommends.

https://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/VW_Vanagon_Syncro_Driveshaft_1987.php

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Your pictured driveshaft joint does not look at all like the current one on the GoWesty site, thought that's not proof of any kind as GW may have either made their own or similar back then. Others may know.

But if the GW picture is an OEM rebuilt, and yours is supposed to be an OEM rebuilt, then something's fishy. Take a close look at the ears on the joints on yours vs what GW shows as an OEM shaft. The OEM shaft also appears to have a thick flange at the end of the shaft tube, which is then welded to the joint. Your picture has a tube that appears welded directly to the joint.

Both may be perfectly serviceable of course. And the lack of a GW sticker on yours is not proof either as labels fall off things.

Sucks, but what can you do? I'd take it to a professional in your area. If you have none and have to ship, send it to these guys near me:

Driveline Repair Parts & Sales
5050 E Seltice Way
Post Falls, ID 83854
(208) 773-3301

They did a fantastic job with my syncro shaft.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Doug- the PO has one of the cheap truck style shafts without the rubber donut:
http://www.gowesty.com/product/transaxle-drivetrain/23382/syncro-drive-shaft-new-?v=
(or a used one from a Doka, although a used one would look more beat-up)

Even GW admits these have vibration problems.
"Here is our all new GoWesty driveshaft without the rubber "donut." VW offered a simpler design that was nothing more than a precision drive shaft with a U-joint at each end. The VW trucks were commonly fitted with these.
While theoretically not as smooth as the one with the rubber donut design, in practice most people can’t tell them apart. Many of us at GoWesty are now running these in our Syncros, and they are working beautifully. The whole rubber donut thing was probably Germans just splitting the proverbial drive shaft hair."

GW's staff may be getting these to work ok, someone new to Syncro's may have problems. The design is not very forgiving.

And again, there may be nothing wrong with that shaft and it's just a matter of getting the whole drivetrain aligned.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Burley advised me that this is the shaft he recommends.

https://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/VW_Vanagon_Syncro_Driveshaft_1987.php

This is driveshaft that started to vibrate after 6 months. Piece of Shit. At that price, they are not going to be good quality. And our vans are finicky about low quality aftermarket parts.

All the talk about GW drive shaft, it works for me and others. I haven't heard of anyone who actually used one who had issues. IMO, the simplicity of the donutless driveshaft takes away some potential problems like I had with the slip yoke bushing getting loose.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Even GW admits these have vibration problems.
"Here is our all new GoWesty driveshaft without the rubber "donut." VW offered a simpler design that was nothing more than a precision drive shaft with a U-joint at each end. The VW trucks were commonly fitted with these.
While theoretically not as smooth as the one with the rubber donut design, in practice most people can’t tell them apart.

Off topic but I have noticed this type of thing a few times on the Gowesty website. For example their article on upper control arm bushings says "We did away entirely with any rubber component. You would think that would result in more road noise... and maybe it actually does. But we're talking about a Vanagon here."
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Dave are there multiple manufacturers of that slip joint driveshaft? Or if mine looks like that, it is that?

As for the NVH, GoWesty has a point. If an individual signal cannot be heard above the "signal noise", you will not really notice that individual rattle or vibration.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Dave are there multiple manufacturers of that slip joint driveshaft? Or if mine looks like that, it is that?
I think that design is very common. It is that company I have a problem with https://www.wholesaleimportparts.com

Some people have had good luck with their driveshafts. I found out about them here. But a vanagon speciifc vendor for a critical driveline part probably makes more sense. They will hear the feedback sooner and louder and find another manufacturer if there is a problem.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

I've been using a slip-yoke driveline for 9 years with zero problems.
Got it from Van-Cafe, but it looks identical to the one Burley recommends.(including the stickers)
I have no idea if it's indeed the same as the Wholesale company, that one could be a copy of the one VC sells.
http://www.vancafe.com/251521101D_p/251521101d.htm
I do try to support our venders.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a new GoWesty drive shaft? Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying the issue Dave!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: