Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlp336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

i just got my screen and seals.. this wont thread with all the needed bits, only with one seal.

confused with why it seams the outlet nut is shallow? are there different ones?
i was trying to run: seal/screen/tube/seal/nut (no luck)
only wants to thread : tuber/seal/nut

Question
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

Probably after market junk.

Good time to install a reserve tap instead. That way you can shut off fuel flow when removing the engine or replacing all the flex fuel lines. Plus you can use it as designed to keep the last one gallon on hand....
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

I think I've had this wrong. I thought the new screens had a collapsing aluminum base- negating the need for second gasket. Gasket/screen/tube/nut only.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I think I've had this wrong. I thought the new screens had a collapsing aluminum base- negating the need for second gasket. Gasket/screen/tube/nut only.

Seems VW went from the former to the latter later on. The aluminum ring of the filter sock does seem to act as a seal due to the softness of the metal it deforms to the tank outlet sealing there.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

It's been a while, but I think I installed them with the filter sock and only one red seal (not two). I'm pretty sure that I installed the red seal on the sock between the sock and the gas tank.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlp336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

there are several different diagrams with different seal placements for sure .

seams odd though to use a seal between the screen and tank since the aluminum screen base acts as a compression seal.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: anyone ever have tank outlet nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
It's been a while, but I think I installed them with the filter sock and only one red seal (not two). I'm pretty sure that I installed the red seal on the sock between the sock and the gas tank.

Bill

Exactly as I have done several times. The tank's threaded outlet pipe is by nature an uneven plane- and requires a gasket. The aluminum ring then crushes easily and allows the outlet pipe adjustment for angle before the final ham-fisted nut goes on.

I suppose a person might get away with filing a tread ring off their nut if it is too tall for the outlet to fully seal...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever have a nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

I've only ever used one washer on these due to the same issue even on original parts.

I've corrected your title..... Very Happy Re: Anyone ever have a nut issue being to shallow?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Carlp336
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever have a nut issue being to shallow? Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
I've only ever used one washer on these due to the same issue even on original parts.

I've corrected your title..... Very Happy Re: Anyone ever have a nut issue being to shallow?

Laughing Laughing i debated how to word it for awhile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: