Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

Hi,
First time using epoxy primer after much research. I opened the can and it was all separated and chunky. Must be old as time. Shook it up real good and it looked fine (surprisingly thin though) so I sprayed a small test patch. Is there any way to tell tomorrow morning if this stuff is any good or if it should go back? Destructive testing ok- rather that than having to strip the whole side later!
If

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

PS- it seems to be curing fine. Tack free in 15-20 as the label says.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

Well, I scratched at it in the morning and it was on there pretty good, so I just went ahead and sprayed. Any insights into how or if this issue may affect things in the long term would be appreciated.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

Will most likely be ok as long as you mixed it thoroughly and with the proper hardener.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

Thanks that is reassuring. It seems OK so far.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

Thats normal. Mix it until it isnt like that.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

Thanks.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

I've yet to find an epoxy to old or strange to use.
Even if it is so old that it has turned to crystallized sludge, you can heat it, and mix it, and it will mix back together and still work great.

Keep in mind
THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO URETHANE!!
enamel, urethane , epoxy, are totally different animals.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

I bought a gallon of epoxy primer today and the guy gave me one of these with it:
https://www.fillontechus.com/product/x5-gallon35-liter-mixing-lid-blca20456

The little wheel at the top pops off to chuck a drill up to the shaft.

He told me to leave the can out in the sun before using and if the stirrer was hard to spin to start at the top and let it work it's way down to the bottom.

I don't know much myself, but this just happened today and though it could help.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy primer separated and chunky in can Reply with quote

Just in case anybody comes along to look at this post I will pass this on. If you're using canned material that has been on the shelf for a long time take it to a paint store and get to put it on their shaker.

The product is fine if you re-emulsify the filler (lumpy stuff) with the carrier ( the liquid). Stirring by hand you simply cannot match the action of a shaker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: