Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Master cylinder rust - is it usable
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markholland8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Master cylinder rust - is it usable Reply with quote

Master cylinder rust - is it usable

I had issues with not being able to get all the air out of the system, I have a 74 1300, anyway I renew all hoses and cylinders still no joy, so I tried the gunson easibleed, on a spare wheel at 10 psi, the rubber inlet seal, as well as the elbow rubber tubing, started to leaking ( a small pinhole)

I have 2 questions:

1. Where can I get this hose
2. Is the master cylinder re-usable with the pitting I am worried it won'tseal?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Master cylinder rust - is it usable Reply with quote

The rust I see should not effect the operation of the brake system.

hose can be found here...

https://www.jbugs.com/product/N203501.html

good luck, stop sure, bug on!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Master cylinder rust - is it usable Reply with quote

I am sure that you have soft brake hoses available there as well. Do NOT use fuel hose since it will break down prematurely...At least the stuff over here does.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Master cylinder rust - is it usable Reply with quote

if the inlet hoses were bad or the inlet seals leaking the master would take the path of least resistance and suck in air instead of pulling fluid from the resevoir...and you wouldnt be able to get the air out of the system cause you were adding more as you bled it...the hose is the easy part but if the inlet seals were leaking you would need to replace those ( not necessarily easy to find as different manufacturers use different size seals )...and the rust is there because they werent sealing....and should be cleaned up so the new ones do seal...personally if you have it this far apart why not just change the master and be done with it?...just be careful you dont lose the sleeves off the bolts....
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Master cylinder rust - is it usable Reply with quote

the sealing surface is below the area showing rust, so this rust is unlikely to cause a leak. Use brake compatible silicone grease to lube the rubber seal to make it easy to install, avoid using brake fluid, as the residual brake fluid will collect moisture and promote rust in areas not sealed, as has happened here. use of brake grease helps prevent this. Besure the grease is designed for brake wetted surfaces, NOT other greases which may deteriorate the internal rubber bits. brake grease is also good for lubing the threads on the brake bleeders to help control rust, prevent then from sticking, and of course brake grease should be used for assembly of the cylinders. it will give longer life, less wear of the rubber bits, and controls corrosion. this is also to be used to lube the brake pedal pushrod tip that goes into the master. lube the pistons with it also. lube the bores too.

The factory manual specifies this grease, also called VW brake paste for cylinder assembly. many folks skip this important step, think brake fluid is good enough for lube, BUT brake fluid will leave a moisture absorbing film on the bores external to pistons and thus promote cylinder corrosion.

Bug On, Stopping Surely!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: