Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headrest Post Guide Conversion
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

Has anyone converted their fixed headrest guides to an adjustable guide in a 75-79 convertible?

The posts are already notched so it would appear all they need are adjustable guides to fit into the existing holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

Can you post a picture .
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After removing headrest from guides I discovered the posts are notched. The headrest can be raised or lowered by removing a clip from each post and then reinserted at a different notch. By changing the guides to a push button guide would make raising and lowering the headrest much easier.
Just wondering if someone has done this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

Have you read the owner manual, on how the head rest work?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

I did as instructed in manual and headrest did not budge.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

My guess is the entire mechanism needs to be cleaned up really well. 40 years of corrosion can make things sticky. Is that flaking paint on those posts? Perhaps I am misremembering, but are the posts originally chrome?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

I believe it was chrome.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to remove the clips. Just have to push/pull harder. I suspect cleaning/polishing up the parts will make it all work better.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

390nellie wrote:
I did as instructed in manual and headrest did not budge.

pull it up all the way, down all the way and then up slowly the number of notches you desire. this way you take advantage of the notches' shape.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Headrest Post Guide Conversion Reply with quote

Actually the real reason I removed the headrest is to install seat belt holders fashioned from a Chevy Cobalt. I spotted these on another forum. They are exactly what I need to improve seat belt access. As soon as they arrive I will install and post pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: