Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATE-Dropped door--A simple weld? It's a broken handle part.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: UPDATE-Dropped door--A simple weld? It's a broken handle part. Reply with quote

The doors on my '69 bug have always been good, that is up until last fall when all of a sudden the driver's side was hard to open with the handle from the outside.
It opens fine with the handle from the inside.

I messed around a bit and found the door handle/latch works and opens when I pick up the door just a bit from the handle.
I noticed a while back that the weld at the bottom of the A piller (pictured) was kind of rusted and now wonder if that gave way and dropped the door, does this sound plausable? I've posted here the passenger side weld to compare to the driver's side just for referense.

Maybe there is a more likely suspect spot I'm not aware of someone could tell me to inspect some more. I was just thinking maybe I should point a flashlight down the pillar to see of the light shows through the rusted weld to check if it is porous--other than poke it with an awl.

I'm hoping it's as easy as some prying to straighten the door and some weld to fix this up---my son is is doing straight A's in college welding and would love to do this job with him Cool once it's figured out.

Nothing is going to be done just yet as there's still snow on the ground--so time to figure it out and appreciate any feedback!

[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/PDQVW/media/20190304_150426_zpsoknoywgi.jp
g.html]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/URL]

Last edited by Patty B. on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped door--A simple weld? Reply with quote

I see a little rust on the drivers door lower pillar, but it doesn't look bad enough to cause door fit problems. When I bought my bug both sides were rusted so bad that you could stick your fingers in there.
Others with more experience will chime in, but I would like to see photos of the door gap, top and sides. That tells the door hang story. If the gap still looks good then possibly you just need to make a latch adjustment.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped door--A simple weld? Reply with quote

Take the door handle off & inspect/lube it to see if that helps.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped door--A simple weld? Reply with quote

The weld doesn't look broken from the picture. If it was causing the door to drop, that area would be more obvious with cracked paint and an exposed crack.
First I would check the door hinge screws for tightness. Next I would look at the hinge pins on the hinges to see if they are worn. If you open the door about half way, and lift up on the door, what happens? The outer handle comes out with one screw, so you can take it off and inspect/lube it and rule that out. If the door sits squarely in the frame, you can adjust the striker plate on the "B" pillar where the door latch mates up to it.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped door--A simple weld? Reply with quote

If it opens fine from inside and is difficult from the outside, it isn't likely the door is sagging or the latch is misadjusted.

Pull off the outside handle and inspect the lever for cracks or bending. You could even switch the passenger side handle for the driver side and see if the problem follows the handle.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped door--A simple weld? Reply with quote

What's the seam look like between the door and the pillar?
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped door--A simple weld? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input--the car is still somewhat snowed in at the moment-- I'll get out and move it, get some pics as soon as I can (the driver's side is close to a fence and can't get in there). It's March so can't be too long right? lol Rolling Eyes
ghianowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped door--A simple weld? Reply with quote

That pillar is pretty good from a Canuck perspective. When you go to check it there may be a crack in the rusted spot see if it opens otherwise My vote is the bottom hinge pin . I used an eastwood tool to press out the bottom pins as it clears the bottom without marring but not the top hinge let me know if you wish to borrow the tool I have the 1st oversize pin as well .
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE-Dropped door--A simple weld? It's a broken handle part. Reply with quote

According to the first title of this post the door only opened when I lifted the door a bit--true but this was a red herring--I took the outside handle off and the curved chromed latch bit is broken off at the cross bar right near the side. Is this weldable?
Again, my son is a student welder and is not yet familiar with all metals--and/or he's afraid to mess up his Mom's Bug Wink -- Can he put a little spot of somethin' somethin' there instead of getting a new bit? If not--do I need a whole new latch or look around for just that curved part. This is an original VW part.

Just to brag----my son won a gold medal for best welder in his college in this year's skilled trades competitions--he now goes to provincials. Last year in high school he was 3rd in region, 13 in Ontario. Very Happy
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE-Dropped door--A simple weld? It's a broken handle part. Reply with quote

I think you'll have a difficult time trying to weld that metal. I believe it's cast. But you can drill out the pin that holds that curved part, get a replacement one from another car, and get a spring pin from the hardware bins to put it back together. I rebuilt both my handles last year doing this.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE-Dropped door--A simple weld? It's a broken handle part. Reply with quote

Not real long ago there was a thread that I think was in this forum on welding VW hardware that looked like POT metal but actually was not and welded fine. It would probably be easier and better to get a good used one.

Edit:
The thread was about welding a vw script. I tried to find the thread but could not. I don't think the handle is made out of aluminum like the scripts are. Embarassed
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE-Dropped door--A simple weld? It's a broken handle part. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help!
I seem to remember the original welded script thread way back when--I am going to try the spring pin repair method and am soursing the parts as we speak--I'll let you know how it goes!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: