Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first engine removal........questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Check the endplay before removing flywheel
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Check the endplay before removing flywheel

why? Wouldn't I check the end play once I reinstall it? What would checking it before removal tell me?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Bentley pg58 engine. B.7. Endplay( .0027-.0051). Wear limit(.006) inches any more than this indicates wear at # 1 thrust bearing . It will only get worse and may/ will cause case damage. Check if thrust bearing is moving in case journal

That is from orange bentley 70-79.

Hope this makes sense.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Back to the valve issue. As I was cleaning the heads, I was able to look closer at the valve stems.

exhaust valve stem #3 has pitting on the end.
The only info I could find on that, is that points towards adjustment screw issues. correct?

Exhaust valve #4 looks to have a shave/cut off the tip, towards the side. What does this tell me?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

If the adjusting screw tips are pitted up that will wear on the valve stems.

Try putting the rocker arm back on that head and see how the screws and stems align up.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

If you look at WW's website for 63 beetles and later, they have a rubber valve, part number 311115541 that goes on the bottom of the oil filler tube.
what purpose does this have? Why not leave the tube wide open?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311115541
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

The clever shape allows condensed water to drip out, while not letting dirt and water thrown up from the road to get in.

Picture stolen from another Samba thread:

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

interesting........
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

I think that's sometimes called a duckbill
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
If you look at WW's website for 63 beetles and later, they have a rubber valve, part number 311115541 that goes on the bottom of the oil filler tube.
what purpose does this have? Why not leave the tube wide open?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311115541

Something to be aware of with those is that some manufacturers leave the end sealed, and you have to take a knife and cut it open yourself.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Once I am ready to put the heads back on the engine, are there steps that need to be done before doing so?

I will be resealing the jugs back on to the case using gray RTV. The jugs were already loose once I removed the head. I'll try and clean the surfaces as best as I can, before applying new.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Once I am ready to put the heads back on the engine, are there steps that need to be done before doing so?

Just clean the heads as best you can, and follow the torque sequences shown in the manual. Torque both heads at same time, back and forth.

And heads are the same, left and right. And stretch the pushrod tubes before installing, and evenly, using your thumbs. And make sure to install the important little tins under the cylinders before you install the pushrod tubes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

Just clean the heads as best you can, and follow the torque sequences shown in the manual. Torque both heads at same time, back and forth.

And heads are the same, left and right. And stretch the pushrod tubes before installing, and evenly, using your thumbs. And make sure to install the important little tins under the cylinders before you install the pushrod tubes.

I did buy new push rod tubes. The existing ones were rusting, not leaking, but rusting. Since I had the pushrods out and having to replace one, I figured I'd replace the tubes. So is it safe to expand the tubes completely and then shrink as needed? Is there a science to it? If they can easily be expanded, how exactly will they stay tight once installed? I'm sure it will make sense once I begin installing

I do have those little cylinder tins. Something so small and simple, yet important.

Any major concerns if outside of jugs have surface rust?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Have you torqued the case fasteners yet?
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

no, I will be doing that tomorrow.
(did you see my email?)

I see 14, and 25 ft-lbs, depending on bolt size when torquing. sound about right?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

no, I will be doing that tomorrow.
(did you see my email?)

I see 14, and 25 ft-lbs, depending on bolt size when torquing. sound about right?

Just sent one back.

Yes, torque varies with thread size. Bigger means more torque.
Connie74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

SO, if the cylinders come out from the case, then should the old paper gasket get picked out of there, clean up the mating surfaces, and then seal with only RTV?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

Connie74 wrote:
SO, if the cylinders come out from the case, then should the old paper gasket get picked out of there, clean up the mating surfaces, and then seal with only RTV?

Precisely. The paper gaskets are more of a nuisance than they are worth.

Just don't goop on the RTV. Sometimes too much of a good thing can make matters way worse.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

When it comes to the rtv. I cleaned up the base of the cylinders today. The paper gaskets we're installed. But all removed and cleaned. When applying the rtv, are we talking a small bead, or more of a thin smear? Does it matter if you place the rtv on the case, or on the thin lip on the base of the cylinder?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My first engine removal........questions, and lessons learned Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
When it comes to the rtv. I cleaned up the base of the cylinders today. The paper gaskets we're installed. But all removed and cleaned. When applying the rtv, are we talking a small bead, or more of a thin smear? Does it matter if you place the rtv on the case, or on the thin lip on the base of the cylinder?

No paper gasket.
Apply the RTV to the cylinder bases. If you put it on the case. There's a chance that it will get inside the engine. That would be very bad!

Good Luck.

EDIT: Yes a small enough bead to seal the cylinder base to the case.
As soon as you have all of the cylinders installed and sealed. Put the heads on and torque them down.
After that. Take the wife out for dinner or whatever she want's to do.
Just don't mess with the engine while the RTV cures.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 25

Jump to: