Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

I want to cut an access hole over my 66 Beetle 1600 engine upper left mounting bolt and starter. Tomorrow I will look a 73 Beetle to cut out an over lapping cover plate. Is the metal in this area the same shape in 66 and 73?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Yes
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Thanks! Will the engine deck lid fit my 66. I like the additional lovers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Wayne S. Johnson wrote:
I want to cut an access hole over my 66 Beetle 1600 engine upper left mounting bolt and starter.

Why bother???? Just not worth it either !

Wayne S. Johnson wrote:
Will the engine deck lid fit my 66. I like the additional louvers.

No, 67-on engine lid will not fit 1966.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

The upper left engine bolt is a nightmare to install and remove. Wench is limited to 1/8 of a turn and a socket will not fit. A rusty bolt may take hours to remove. I'm removing the engine in a 73 parked on the dirt and have an opportunity to cut out a section under the rear window. The next inhabitants in the 73 will be chickens, yes it's going to be a Beetle chicken coop. Not my design, but the chickens don't give a cluck.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Can you look for an Allen head bolt or the proper bolt with a 15 mm head .
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Allen head bolt with a long extension and a swivel allen drive.

Please don't hack the car.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

The early VWs namely split windows had an removable access panel that was slightly larger than what you are proposing. It allowed for oil service, clutch cable and both upper engine bolts maintenance. This cover once installed and covered will be invisible modification.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The early VWs namely split windows had an removable access panel that was slightly larger than what you are proposing. It allowed for oil service, clutch cable and both upper engine bolts maintenance. This cover once installed and covered will be invisible modification.

Agree with all maintenance operation except for oil service: how can a hole in the suggested place help into oil servicing?

Just curious
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

early VW access panel (from the gallery)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Probably for the transaxle. It's got to be easier to fill from the top than the bottom.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I just use long extensions and a socket from underneath, for me the trick is to move farther forward than one thinks and reach back, under 5 minutes.

When I replaced the transmission on my 1970 in April, I also used an allen bolt in this location, takes an 8mm allen socket now; got the allen bolt at Ace Hardware down the street. This is especially helpful if one has a late 1960s-1970 transmission that has the ridge for a D-headed bolt (for use with pre-1971 engine cases).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

I take the decklid off to make it easier to get my arm in (I can do it without removing the decklid, but it takes no time at all to remove it and gives me just a little more room so my forearm isn’t getting jammed against the corner of the decklid). I then use a gear wrench to take the nuts off or put them on. Simple.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
I take the decklid off to make it easier to get my arm in (I can do it without removing the decklid, but it takes no time at all to remove it and gives me just a little more room so my forearm isn’t getting jammed against the corner of the decklid). I then use a gear wrench to take the nuts off or put them on. Simple.

Turn around, sit/lean on the fender, drop your hand/arm through the gap in the corner between the engine lid engine bay & work by Braille-0-vision, you can't see it anyway. You're not trying to bend your arm against the elbow & you're not doubled over.

To the OP, if the car has the proper D-bolt at the starter then the access hole isn't going to do anything for you.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Agree with all maintenance operation except for oil service: how can a hole in the suggested place help into oil servicing?

Just curious

scottyrocks wrote:
Probably for the transaxle. It's got to be easier to fill from the top than the bottom.

Yes, transmission oil. (fluid)
The fill hole on the super early transmissions was from the top instead of the side.

Big fill nut on the lower right of this transmission case
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Keith wrote:

Turn around, sit/lean on the fender, drop your hand/arm through the gap in the corner between the engine lid engine bay & work by Braille-0-vision. You're not trying to bend your arm against the elbow & you're not doubled over.

Been doing it this way for 20 years now. Not doubled over, car is on my lift, just makes it so easy with the decklid out of the way of my arms and face.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I just use long extensions and a socket from underneath, for me the trick is to move farther forward than one thinks and reach back, under 5 minutes.

This has worked for me... it's like 18 inched of extension altogether, but it works. I wedge a box end wrench on top, and apply the elbow grease from below with the ratchet. It's only hard the first time (!) but after than anti-seize and cleaned up threads make it a snap.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

I have AS41 cases with the insert, my ratchet did not have enough room to move. I had to used a wrench, with limited access I could only get 1/8 of a turn at a time. An access hole will also allow easy clutch cable adjustment.

Thank you for all the tips.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

never a need for an acess hole for me, plenty of engine removals and installs. The dog house fan shroud makes it even tighter, but still no need for a hole. Suggest you try different wrenches. There are captive bolt designs for the starter side upper bolt that dont require you to hold the bolt head.

I think a change in tools and method will work just fine 10s of millions of these engines removed and installed without an access hole needed.

If you do cut an access hole, seal it to prevent water ingress from road spray, else your luggage area and or floor pans may suffer rust.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Access hole to reach the top engine bolt and starter. Reply with quote

The right tools make every job easier.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: