Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Choose my Manx color!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color Manx body?
Brilliant Royal Blue
57%
 57%  [ 20 ]
Dragon Red
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Top Tomato
28%
 28%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 35

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

I am starting on a new Manx build and will be buying a new body from Bruce and Winnie soon. I am stuck on with color to go with and I thought you all might help me out? What should I choose?

Royal Blue Metalflake

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dragon Red

Top Tomato

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Red pigments often fade to pink quite quickly and can disappoint, orange is a great colour but it will attract every bee and wasp in the neighborhood, mines orange and I've been stung twice! If you were to choose any solid colour you'd probably regret it the first time you parked next to a metalflake car. Blue's nice but chartreuse POPS!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Really depends on if you want your car to me more unique...Most of the bugies I see are red....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

While every owner plans on keeping their buggy forever.......

I always build for re-sale. Therefore I would go with the blue. It has the "WOW!" factor that will make it stand out when its time to sell.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

In would not mind owning a Kubota tractor, but that's the only orange thing off hand I can think of that's desirable. There are sealants/waxes with UV protection, so Red is still in the game. I don't know about metalflake... I don't think I possess a 'sparkling' personality.

Jim
Manx #2614
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Chose a color you like, not everyone else. Personally, I prefer the oddball colors if it's a solid - candy raspberry, dark cherry, those kinds of things. Metallics and metalflake the same way... lots of choices out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

I always build for re-sale. Therefore I would go with the blue. It has the "WOW!" factor that will make it stand out when its time to sell.

Resale Red as I’ve heard it referred to. Maybe it has to do with local but here I would think the red would sell better than blue.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Red, black, white & silver are the top selling colors of new cars sold. A statistical fact from the insurance companies.....Red cars get the most traffic tickets.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Chose a color you like, not everyone else. Personally, I prefer the oddball colors if it's a solid - candy raspberry, dark cherry, those kinds of things. Metallics and metalflake the same way... lots of choices out there.

My problem is I like all three! And its fun seeing what The Samba brain trust thinks of these important matters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
jspbtown wrote:

Resale Red as I’ve heard it referred to. Maybe it has to do with local but here I would think the red would sell better than blue.

I was actually wondering this. I tend to see a lot of reds sell here locally too. Not that it matters much because this one is a keeper, but you never know when you have to sell.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

For me the brighter the better. You will be pretty vulnerable out there in the traffic so you want to be SEEN!

I LOVE metal flake finishes, they give so much personality to a fun car and these cars are supposed to be fun. But - not blue for Heaven's sake! Blue is so ordinary, so mundane, so common, so low risk. If you want to lose it in a mall parking lot, get the blue one!

That green flake one is sweet! Red flake is too. Unfortunately there is no such thing as yellow or orange metal flake and gold is just a tad pretentious...

Wink
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Caleb,
As others have said pick what you like. I will say that the Royal blue you posted does not look like the Royal Blue Manxes I have had:

Also I would say to look at finished buggies in the colors you like. Also think about the trim color or finish you like. Some colors look good with chrome and others look good with black or body colored trim. (My opinion only) Metal flake looks better with chrome trim and solids look better with black or same colored trim. Again just my opinion and my opinion only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

How about 1 of each? Twisted Evil
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
How about 1 of each? Twisted Evil

Ha! The neighbors already think I am strange.

Blue Bug Red Bug Orange Bug Anxious
mtnroads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

The solid red is harder to take care of and looks dirty with a light coat of dust on it Confused The metalflake gold hides the dirt better and is dazzling in direct sunlight, I don't know about pretentious Shocked
This pic was taken on an overcast day, so the gold one looks kind of flat.

Buggies in primer and flat black get plenty of attention too. Also I didn't choose the colors the bodies came with the chassis, so we got those. If I was picking a color metalflake blue or deep purple. Get what turns YOUR crank. Good luck!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

i wont lie, i chose blue, but the only reason was cause of the metal flake.
to me buggies weather new or old have somewhat of a nostalgic look.
and back in the hay day of buggies heavy metal flake was what they were.
so if i could chose any color in metal flake, purple would be my choice. but since blue was the only one it has mine choice
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Mine will be purple metalflake and I hope it's PURPLE. The pics on the Meyers website just don't do it justice. It looks kind of blue.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Unfortunately there is no such thing as yellow or orange metal flake and gold is just a tad pretentious...

Wink

Sure there is, you just know where to look. Here's my old SR - 3 color metalflake, custom mixed and sprayed by me. Colors used are Apricot, Silver and Bright Red. The silver was added for when I color sanded, anything I cut into would still blend. Top coated with 3 coats of clear. Black base. Bruce Meyers said it was the best SR he'd seen.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
The silver was added for when I color sanded, anything I cut into would still blend.

That is brilliant!!!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose my Manx color! Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
oprn wrote:
Unfortunately there is no such thing as yellow or orange metal flake and gold is just a tad pretentious...

Wink

Sure there is, you just know where to look. Here's my old SR - 3 color metalflake, custom mixed and sprayed by me. Colors used are Apricot, Silver and Bright Red. The silver was added for when I color sanded, anything I cut into would still blend. Top coated with 3 coats of clear. Black base. Bruce Meyers said it was the best SR he'd seen.

Looks red from here, maybe a burnt orange. Get us a shot of the sunny side please, that may be a whole different color.

Many years ago by Boss tried to get a yellow metal flake job for a customer by spraying gold flake over a yellow base coat on a 29 Chrysler street rod. Looked horrible to me but the customer loved it.

I like to use a metallic base coat in a color similar or a wee bit darker than the flake I use. It adds a lot of depth to the paint. Black does that to some degree too but it takes a lot more flake and color coat to get good coverage and build the color you want with a black base coat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: