Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with chrome Molding hood replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

Long story short. I found me the VW that will suit most of my needs and in my price point. An absolute must for me was matching numbers including motor. I found that in my 1963. The hood on this car looks to have had some work including a repaint. The chrome molding has been changed, and incorrectly for the thin type. I have ordered the right one in stainless from WW including the appropriate mounting hardware. I had a few questions to hopefully avoid trouble. Are the hole sizes different in the hood to accommodate the clips for thick vs thin? How do I take the chrome off easily? I saw some good videos on how to put it on, so I think I have that covered.

Thanks!

I hope to post more pics when the car arrives.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

The hole sizes are bigger for the wide trim. Use a wood/plastic gizmo to pop off the narrow trim. If the hood is in decent shape consider selling it as it might be a one year only 67 hood and buy a different hood your bug.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

I fully agree with Rick ^^^. It's clear it's been repainted (perhaps) to L380 code- but not to match the fade of surrounding metal.

It's value to a '67 restorer would finance the repaint of a proper hood. Also, you can determine if your car was supposed to have a Wolfsburg crest by looking up your VIN's range in the progressive refinements listing.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

Thank you!

Is there a way that I can tell if it is a 67? I’m not that familiar yet with being able to spot the differences.

For a good hood. What years will work? Ie) 61-65? The VIn is 5143xxx so I do not believe it should have Wolfsburg crest.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

.. before we all get too excited here.. Laughing

#1.. figure out if it's original 67 hood.. if it's not.. . no Original Oppressors would want it.. repop hood of years past had small trim holes.. or no holes at all..

Here is an OO 67 hood topic reference
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578083

#2 For a 63.. for the MAJORITY of the model year build.. you would typically want to find a raised platform hood for the VW larger 3 pin emblem, with large trim holes... 1963-1966.

Now..
If your 63 just so happened to have been built.. in the first two months.. (August September 1962 , ending at/on VIN 5010447) you would want to find a "1962 Hood"
Flat emblem area, 3 pins and a smaller (4 tab style) emblem.
62 hood topic..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419735

glutamodo wrote:
That's first TWO months of production - August and September 62, with the crest.

If you find its aftermarket.. and can stand it.. just drill the holes add the wide molding and get on with your life

If it IS an original 67 hood.. and you must change it.. yes it has value.. but it will NOT pay for a good solid correct original hood with the added cost of having it painted to almost never match..
or worse for cost.. .. finding a perfect solid nice sun faded match..
Yeah.. good luck with that last one..

Whew.. Eh?

Me= Id just drill what ya have, get the molding on.. and drive the damn thing.

But.. from this single statement..
bird blaster wrote:
An absolute must for me was matching numbers including motor.

sounds like you want it ..NEED it right.. only you can determine if it's worth the cost and hassle.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

... when I had my '63 I added an earlier-style Wolfsburg crest... not original, but who cares - looks awesome. i'd just pry that thin one off and put it in my scrap metal pile and add a strip for crest.
... not a bad paint match... could keep it till you found an original replacement.

this was my '63.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

Perhaps I missed it reading on a phone, but I never saw information on how to determine if was a real '67 hood. Other than the trim hole size, how can one tell a '66 from a '67 or a decent quality repop?

I would likely open up the trim holes and run early trim, perhaps with a 3 color Wolfsburg crest if I wanted to spend the extra money. Well, unless I had a local friend looking for a correct '67 hood.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Perhaps I missed it reading on a phone, but I never saw information on how to determine if was a real '67 hood. .

I provided a topic link..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

Here are a few different angles that include the hood. I appreciate the comments guys. I know this car isn't perfect...but I think it is a good start for me and I will over time get it how I want it.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

I'd be more than happy to drive that -- nice car!

What are your plans for the car? That will influence how you best move forward.
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I'd be more than happy to drive that -- nice car!

What are your plans for the car? That will influence how you best move forward.

I'm still debating what to do to be honest. My first goal was a motor matching vehicle. The interior appears to be completely original which is great and as far as I can tell thus far the body is in very good condition. Hopefully I am not wrong on that count.

My options in my mind are

a) Change the chrome strip and move on. Drive it every day in the summer as were my intentions when purchasing the car. Drive it for 5-10 years and sell it to get an Oval that has been completely restored. (Unless I can convince my wife to let me have two).

b) Change the chrome and drive it like in (A) and then after 5-10 years do a complete restoration of the car to what is needed

c) Change the chrome and in 1-2 years get the rest of the body repainted to all the same Turkis colour.

I am still not sure what to do about potentially adding 3-point harnesses in the rear. I would love for my kids (2 & 5) to be able to come with me places.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but three point seat belts should be a bolt in. There should be attachment points under the rear carpet and the third just behind the quarter window.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

bird blaster wrote:

I'm still debating what to do to be honest.

HAHAHA.. Indecisive are you..

first and foremost .... What month of production is the car?

You didn't state whether its an original 67 hood using the link I provided as a guide.

GOOD original hoods are getting expensive and getting harder to find..

My opinions...

Even if its an original 67.. in good condition.. and If you plan to eventually do a full on repaint refurb resto and don't want to try and hope to find a good 63-66 hood later... .. drill and drive. . the larger clip hole size is 8mm.

If it's aftermarket.. drill it.. add the right molding and enjoy it..
Only a few of the elite snobs .. will point fingers and laugh at you.. . Not talking

Then take your time.. and find a the right hood you need, store it for later or have it painted and swap out..

Option..
Remove narrow chrome.. use the proper chrome (or chrome and crest) for month of manufacture.
Dont drill the holes.. use a blob of high quality RTV over each existing clips.. tape it down until cured.. ... done..
Double sided tape may work too.

Saves the hood if it is legit 67.

Usually and often edited
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

... everyone will suggest something different - that's human nature. i'd leave as much original paint as possible showing and repaint what is needed. So, it does not match perfectly... how can that make any kinda' difference... is a beauty, at any rate.
I liked my very original turquoise patina '63. That was natural paint deterioration. Took 50 years to get to that look - too beautiful to update with new paint on the whole car. The guy who bought the car will ruin it and paint one even color Sad He had a problem with being a perfectionist too... that's the way things are - we all have to do what suits us, instead of what's best for the car and future owners - we ARE NOT OWNERS, we are stewards of our cars, for a little while and then someone else takes over, down the road.
... I think it would be a shame to paint your whole car and ruin it's originality, but do what you think is best.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

bird blaster wrote:

I'm still debating what to do to be honest. My first goal was a motor matching vehicle. The interior appears to be completely original which is great and as far as I can tell thus far the body is in very good condition. Hopefully I am not wrong on that count.

a) Change the chrome strip and move on. Drive it every day in the summer as were my intentions when purchasing the car. Drive it for 5-10 years and sell it to get an Oval that has been completely restored. (Unless I can convince my wife to let me have two).

b) Change the chrome and drive it like in (A) and then after 5-10 years do a complete restoration of the car to what is needed

c) Change the chrome and in 1-2 years get the rest of the body repainted to all the same Turkis colour.

I am still not sure what to do about potentially adding 3-point harnesses in the rear. I would love for my kids (2 & 5) to be able to come with me places.

It sounds like you are in the high respect for "as VW intended" category. One option seems to be getting ignored. If that is a real '67 hood you could run feel guilt free -- give props to real life by keeping the skinny trim. VW did all kinds of changes that put later parts on older cars. I can find documents on how to put later frames under pre-'60 cars and put automatic chokes onto 36 horse engines. Using a later, and last year that is bolt on compatible, hood to repair from a minor accident is plenty legit, and a good part of your Bug's preservation. You could run it with pride as a good repair on a loved old Bug.
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
bird blaster wrote:

I'm still debating what to do to be honest.

HAHAHA.. Indecisive are you..

first and foremost .... What month of production is the car?

You didn't state whether its an original 67 hood using the link I provided as a guide.

GOOD original hoods are getting expensive and getting harder to find..

My opinions...

Even if its an original 67.. in good condition.. and If you plan to eventually do a full on repaint refurb resto and don't want to try and hope to find a good 63-66 hood later... .. drill and drive. . the larger clip hole size is 8mm.

If it's aftermarket.. drill it.. add the right molding and enjoy it..
Only a few of the elite snobs .. will point fingers and laugh at you.. . Not talking

Then take your time.. and find a the right hood you need, store it for later or have it painted and swap out..

Option..
Remove narrow chrome.. use the proper chrome (or chrome and crest) for month of manufacture.
Dont drill the holes.. use a blob of high quality RTV over each existing clips.. tape it down until cured.. ... done..
Double sided tape may work too.

Saves the hood if it is legit 67.

Month of production is November 1962.

The car wont make it to my house for probably another 2 weeks. So I won't be able to get better pics or see it in person until then to determine if it is a 1967 or repro hood.

I chatted with the previous owner about it and it has been like that for as long as he has owned it. He was never told a new hood was placed on it and always assumed it was the original hood. Is there any way that when it got repainted some boob was able to put on a thin strip chrome on an original 1963 hood?

fantastic ideas for some options that wouldn't ruin the hood either in the case it was a 1967.
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... everyone will suggest something different - that's human nature. i'd leave as much original paint as possible showing and repaint what is needed. So, it does not match perfectly... how can that make any kinda' difference... is a beauty, at any rate.
I liked my very original turquoise patina '63. That was natural paint deterioration. Took 50 years to get to that look - too beautiful to update with new paint on the whole car. The guy who bought the car will ruin it and paint one even color Sad He had a problem with being a perfectionist too... that's the way things are - we all have to do what suits us, instead of what's best for the car and future owners - we ARE NOT OWNERS, we are stewards of our cars, for a little while and then someone else takes over, down the road.
... I think it would be a shame to paint your whole car and ruin it's originality, but do what you think is best.

great perspective. Definitely food for thought as I digest this whole "dilemma" which is mostly in my mind! haha
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

Car finally arrived!

I'm going to take some more pictures of the hood so you guys can help me out a bit.

I am currently leaning towards just putting on the larger strip chrome.

The paint difference bugs me a bit, any suggestions to dull it a bit?

Thanks
BB
Littoral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

"The paint difference bugs me a bit, any suggestions to dull it a bit? "
Tanning Booth. Very Happy
More seriously, perhaps over buffing?
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help with chrome Molding hood replacement Reply with quote

Littoral wrote:
"The paint difference bugs me a bit, any suggestions to dull it a bit? "
Tanning Booth. Very Happy
More seriously, perhaps over buffing?

hahaha - thanks!!

Once I am home tonight I'm going to snap some more pics of the hood. I just had this on the phone showing the worse of the discrepancy. It isn't as bad compared to the fenders as the area in front the window.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: