Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Me Change my Career
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Note that's optimize, not maximize. A park ranger or social worker making $40K can be in heaven, while an executive making $500K can be miserable. It's all about your personal happiness.

A couple of recent high profile suicides are proof of this.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

my cousin does the same thing as you do, non profit case worker. she loves it. pay sucks.

soooo....she has gotten in with the state. I suggest you do that, or federal. I would LOVE to close shop and go do fleet maintenance for AMTRAK. big bucks, pension, guaranteed raises. you know, all the stuff you use to be able to get in the private sector.

I totally blew my chance at a sure thing. my aunt could have gotten me in as a CO (corrections officer) at one of the state prisons. had I done that, I would have been retired THIS YEAR....under 40.

hindsight.....

I would get in on the state level if I were you. get your feet wet, and if you want to move, you can....and get into another state position easily once you're vested.

for ha-ha's I tossed my hat in the ring for a municipal job. STARTING pay was 89k/year. tested, was #2 in their "top 10" then they pulled the rug out from us and 'hired within'. #1 was a good friend. we both promised if one of us got in, to try and get the other one in. not bad for servicing police cars....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

I'll agree. Go state or federal with the insurance, benefits, and retirement.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

How about the railroad? The pay and benefits are great, and Union Pacific is so desperate for people they're offering sign-up bonuses right now. Marysville is a major point and you're not too far from there. Here in Nebraska they're offering a $20,000 bonus for train crews and apprentice diesel electricians, and $15,000 for diesel mechanics.

Most people can't handle the irregular hours and all the BS, but you're single, no kids, and used to working with unusual people, so you might fit right in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

If you are interested in a government career try USA Jobs. You'll want to click on the "Open to the public" option.

Edit: The active jobs typically have very short windows (a week is normal) so you have to stay on top of them if you are interested. Oh and good luck. I know what you mean about not knowing what you want to do when you grow up. I'm in my mid 40's now and still don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

I'm bullish on rental property, but it is more of a wealth building tool (aka, retirement plan), not really a career track.

Also, from my experience, if you have enough equity in your current house, many creative lending institutions, will do everything they can to make that second home happen. From my experience, they will typically count 75% percent of anticipated annual rent towards your total household income prior to qualifying you for a second home loan. You may need to sign something that states that you will keep a certain amount of cash on hand if the rental property is mortgaged property. You will certainly be leveraged way out there, so you better be comfortable with that risk.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I'm bullish on rental property, but it is more of a wealth building tool (aka, retirement plan), not really a career track.

Also, from my experience, if you have enough equity in your current house, many creative lending institutions, will do everything they can to make that second home happen. From my experience, they will typically count 75% percent of anticipated annual rent towards your total household income prior to qualifying you for a second home loan. You may need to sign something that states that you will keep a certain amount of cash on hand if the rental property is mortgaged property. You will certainly be leveraged way out there, so you better be comfortable with that risk.

This is more or less how I feel about the rental thing. I just want to get started, so that by retirement time I've got a few going at least, with little to no mortgage by that time. So the first home or two would be more or less "part time" rather than trying to turn it into my career.

Before I bought my current house, I rented a home from a "recently retired" aged couple. I know they had several houses in town, as a friend also rented from them. When something needed fixed, we'd call them and the man would come take care of most of it. But if they were out traveling or otherwise unavailable, they left a list of vendors we could call to have things fixed that would then be billed to them.

That is exactly what I would like to be doing in retirement. I enjoy doing home improvements/repairs from time to time, with the ability to pay someone else if I can't or for some reason don't want to do it. I figure when I get older then I can hire a management company or something.

I do have decent equity in the house, around 40% or maybe a little more. And I have talked to people about using equity in this home to buy another and all that, but that does start getting a little leveraged and risky. My current home loan is from a smaller bank that keeps them in-house. They are somewhat conservative with their lending, so I've felt that if they think I can qualify and are willing to take the risk, then that probably means it is indeed a risk I can handle. Not a hard and fast "rule" for me, but kind of a good barometer.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Pay off your house before investing in another, that way you can change your career whenever you want without the stress of "how can I pay my bills without income?".

Think about how much money you give to a bank over the duration of a 30yr note ($100,000 on a $90,000 purchase?) & how much you could have done with that same money to build your own wealth.

Buy a duplex or a quad, that way you're rarely without income if someone moves out or doesn't pay. If you live in it & pay your mortgage along with the supplemental rents then you can pay it off in 3-5 years & move on to the next.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Pay off your house before investing in another, that way you can change your career whenever you want without the stress of "how can I pay my bills without income?".

Buy a duplex or a quad, that way you're rarely without income if someone moves out or doesn't pay. If you live in it & pay your mortgage along with the supplemental rents then you can pay it off in 3-5 years & move on to the next.

I've thought about this path too.

I am just struggling with being able to make some kind of move that would help/allow me to increase my income significantly to move it along faster!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

I had a six unit building that would pay for itself with two tenants, I got rid of it due to it being a PITA compounded by it being 100 miles away, used the equity to pay off my house & don't have to deal with all the stupid shit that goes along with dealing with people who effectively own your ass.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

I am just struggling with being able to make some kind of move that would help/allow me to increase my income significantly to move it along faster!

You're single, keep working, sell the house & use the equity to buy a house outright or get a gym membership, live in the bus & bank everything until you can buy a property outright.

Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

With your background, DHS or some other government position might be well suited to you. You can start by mailing applications in specific areas of interest. I know for a fact, with the economy the way it is and jobs not being filled, it shouldn't take long, if you're truly serious.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

You're single, keep working, sell the house & use the equity to buy a house outright or get a gym membership, live in the bus & bank everything until you can buy a property outright.

Now we're coming (close to) back around to the "RV Plan!"

I'll give a little more details on the whole idea.

I live 10 minutes away from a state park, and spend a LOT of time out there anyway, even driving out there fairly frequently in the winter to walk my dog on the trails. I've observed that quite a lot of people do live out there in their RVs full time. Some as Camp Hosts, and some just paying a monthly fee. I've spoken with several and everyone just loves it.

So my thought is if I live out there for a couple years while renting my home out, I could easily have renters cover the mortgage payment, and if I can snag a Camp Host spot, by not paying monthly fees I'd be in the positive.

A couple years later, I'll have saved a good chunk towards the down payment on a house with a little more land (for the VWs, and I feel room to stretch would be beneficial when I go back to having foster kiddos) while keeping the first house as a rental.

At that point, the rental money would go toward paying down the house(s) as quickly as possible and I would begin to build from there.

I live in a somewhat unique area as far as prospects for rentals go and real estate in general. We have a large university here in town (Kansas State University), a large military base (Fort Riley) a few minutes outside town, and the National Bio and Agro Defense Facility (NBAF) is scheduled to begin operations in about 4 years-construction is underway. NBAF will bring a good number of people to the area, so I anticipate that values will jump at that time.

In 2006 a large unit came to Ft. Riley. Housing prices spiked rapidly that one summer, with a quick drop off in sales though not prices really. Prices did dip a little but not a lot--for the most part they stayed in line with where they jumped to with slow increases since.

I anticipate that NBAF will cause a similar though maybe not as big step up in prices. Which is why I feel that it would behoove me to keep the current home and make, if possible, the first purchase within a couple years or so.

I could live in the Bus at the state park, at least until the shower houses close in October, though the dog and cat wouldn't appreciate that. An RV would be much more workable longer term. I bet my folks would "foster" them for a while, though.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

If you're willing to do the RV thing, sell the house & bank it until you can purchase a cheap fixer upper outright & rent that out, that way ALL of the rental proceeds will go to you vs the bank, then you can do the same thing much faster with new purchases because you're not giving the majority of your rental income away in interest.

Imagine putting your mortgage payment into your own account every month & think about how fast that account would grow. With the equity from your current house, you could buy a cheap house outright & rent that out free & clear (aside from the maintenance, taxes & insurance, which, by the way, you have to pay anyway).

marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Converting current residence into a single unit rental is much easier than buying a multiplex rental unit - really apples and oranges comparison.

My advice if you dream of being a small time RE mogul, first find a bank that wants to risk other people's money on you - I call them creative lenders. Then buy a second starter home ASAP (still low interest rates) (use your crappy current career as collateral), convert house #2 to rental ASAP, repeat every 3-7 years. Resist the urge to update the homes you are collecting - just keep them safe and functional. Make sure your career shifts coincide wisely with your home loan applications and also maintain excellent credit.

Also, in your rental income cost analysis, you need to consider that you have to pay income tax on the rental income (assuming positive cashflow), home insurance will be higher on mortgage escrow (mortgage goes up), and you need to set money aside for typical repairs. Very plainly put, if you can't at least break even in an appreciating RE market, you should consider putting money elsewhere.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Well, I can chime in on this with some insight based out of experience. Finally, I get to add value to this community!!
I have a 600sf rental above my garage as well as a separate rental home about 6 miles from my residence. The garage apt is a one bedroom with full bath, kitchen and living room. My rent up there could easily pay my whole mortgage, but it took some time to get there. My wife's cousin is up there now and pays about 2/3 what he really should. I've had one renter who was not either friend or family up there in 20 years. Fucker still owes me $200. Besides parking issues, I've loved having it and would consider another on my premises. The rental home I own is also a plus in my book. I stretched and bought the most expensive little house I could afford in an upwardly mobile neighborhood. I might have been able to make more money up front slum-lording it, but the way I did it was much less stressful. I make about $300 a month on it and all of that goes back to the mortgage. I bought it in 2014 and owe about 1/3 what's it's worth now. I enjoy being a landlord, but I'm super laid back. If you're wanting to be on top of renters, hovering...waiting for that payment and if your'e not good at dealing with people and their issues...do not do it! I think the guy I have in my rental home's sister has died at least three times now. As a matter of fact, it's the 20th of the month and I still haven't been paid. His girlfriend found his cash rent payment and used it to pay other bills, he said. Supposed to get paid tonight. If that kind of shit stresses you out, again...don't do it.
On a side note, I am probably not an average case. I almost look at my rental home as a four-leaf clover, I've had such good luck with it. We had a wind storm here in 2015. It was considered a natural disaster. I got a new roof without insurance rate increase because of that. Our local utilities also had a deal to convert from electric to gas recently. I talked to my neighbor and they allowed me to pull gas from their front yard, before their meter instead of coming under the street from the other side. It allowed me to use all the funds from the LEAP program to pay for the rest of the installation. $7200 for furnace, gas hook up and water heater...all free. I paid nothing.

As far as a job goes, I can give you one bit of advice...whatever it is, do it now. I've spent 20 years at a dead-end job. I enjoy the job and I make an average income, but I have a bachelor's degree and never used it. I think about where I could be right now and it's upsetting sometimes. Don't be thinking back, like me...think forward. Do be like me though and find a nice girl who makes 2.5 times as much as you and marry her!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

if you're dead set on a rental, do a commercial building. when people don't pay, they (typically) leave...and sometimes leave neat shit behind. you can get them out way, way easier than a deadbeat family. they have more rights than you do....

I have a friend that use to own a few rentals. come eviction time, he would offer these losers 1,200-1,500 cash to be out on whatever day.

these were people that thought they hit the lotto with 2.00, let alone a 1k+ lump sum....almost all of them left fast, and left the place reasonably clean too

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

You have skills much needed by the elderly and veteran community. Both environments are easy to access and provide many avenues for employment. The senior center and VFW will open a world of high quality people with money and contacts.

My journey was to tune in, turn on, and drop out. Oddly that lead to great success in small business and rentals ( I give preference to disabled vets ).

Doing what you love really helps . Be brave and change!

Drive away from Kansas, Colorado is right next door!
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
You have skills much needed by the elderly and veteran community. Both environments are easy to access and provide many avenues for employment. The senior center and VFW will open a world of high quality people with money and contacts.

To the OP. If this is something that you would be interested in; working with people old and young, managing a team of your own for a non-profit anywhere in the country or staying in Kansas just PM me. We are always interested in talking to people with a strong person centered work ethic and desire to grow.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

We sold our home in Redding, CA and bought a used 22' travel trailer & towed it to Eugene, OR for cooler weather/politics etc. 3 of us lived in it for 4 years in various private RV hookups/trailer parks for $300/month including utilities 15 years ago. You can move anywhere in 1/2 hour whenever you want to! We finally bought a 5 acre place outside Eugene and are happy here so far? We make extra money towing/storing cars,trucks,boats & boarding horses. You can find care giver etc jobs everywhere until a different job/career/business catches your eye. A friend from Redding is always talking up Union Apprentice programs if you like construction. Come to the PNW for the good weather/wages/girls! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: