Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Me Change my Career
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
To comply with Federal Aviation Regulations you’d need to have 24 months of schooling and pass a three part test, speak and read English fluently and have a clean criminal record, no felonies or drug arrests

That excludes about 60% of the possible work force, add in passing a drug test & that will toss out another 15%.

2/3rds of the applicants at most warehouse jobs can’t pass most of those requirements.

Sadly this is true we know this firsthand because they hired hundreds of workers here for the first time in about 20 years to replace old farts like me retiring and or dying off. We are glad to see these young bucks😀and now they are talking about paying us a lump sum to leave. Many of us are over 60 and fully vested, pennies from heaven.

However as you say many are on drugs or they cannot make it to work on a regular basis, they are probationary for 6 months. The work ethic is different for this generation. I was schooled by the WW2 and Korean War vets, they’d slap the shit outta ya if you stepped out of line, but they’d also have your back if you paid attention.

Another good position hardly mentioned. Be the guy that checks calibration of hospital equipment. It’s clean, it’s inside and it pays. You’ll need a strong background in electronics. Being a mechanic is a broad term it covers a lot of ground. Best advice I ever got

Find a groove and get into it.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
To comply with Federal Aviation Regulations you’d need to have 24 months of schooling and pass a three part test, speak and read English fluently and have a clean criminal record, no felonies or drug arrests

That excludes about 60% of the possible work force, add in passing a drug test & that will toss out another 15%.

2/3rds of the applicants at most warehouse jobs can’t pass most of those requirements.

Hence the reason it pays pretty well.

Warehouse jobs on the other hand... Trust me, I have recent first hand experience in the field. Paid less than I made over 20 years ago.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I think it is funny that this thread has popped back up.

The airline mechanic thing sounds pretty interesting; If I'd have heard about it two years ago, I might have looked at that!

But, as it stands, I'm now 89 days away from graduating with my Master of Social Work Degree and I'm pretty excited about becoming a therapist. Though I don't know the exact route I'll take to get there just yet, my long term goal is to have my own private practice, or perhaps join with my friend's current practice.

When I graduate and get my license (that test is scheduled for March 7), I'll only be able to bill Medicaid and take private pay clients until I'm eligible to get my Clinical license, and that takes about two years. At that point, I'll also be able to take most private insurances (which widens my potential client pool significantly.)

So I will likely have to get some kind of part-time or PRN type job while I'm working to build up the practice.

Also, my wife and I got married last March. So it's been a whirlwind of a couple years! I'm a bit excited for things to slow down just a little.

This, is all good news. Well done sir!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I think it is funny that this thread has popped back up.

The airline mechanic thing sounds pretty interesting; If I'd have heard about it two years ago, I might have looked at that!

But, as it stands, I'm now 89 days away from graduating with my Master of Social Work Degree and I'm pretty excited about becoming a therapist. Though I don't know the exact route I'll take to get there just yet, my long term goal is to have my own private practice, or perhaps join with my friend's current practice.

When I graduate and get my license (that test is scheduled for March 7), I'll only be able to bill Medicaid and take private pay clients until I'm eligible to get my Clinical license, and that takes about two years. At that point, I'll also be able to take most private insurances (which widens my potential client pool significantly.)

So I will likely have to get some kind of part-time or PRN type job while I'm working to build up the practice.

Also, my wife and I got married last March. So it's been a whirlwind of a couple years! I'm a bit excited for things to slow down just a little.

Dave , there are some folks here who know a lot about the aircraft tech thing. Presumptuous of me, but I’m feeling your passion is with kids and helping kids. That’s God’s work , and more worthy of our thanks than 95% of the guys trumpeting veterans plates who push paper.

Last edited by Abscate on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Dave , there are some folks here who no a lot about the aircraft tech thing. Presumptuous of me, but I’m feeling your passion is with kids and helping kids. That’s God’s work , and more worthy of our thanks than 95% of the guys trumpeting veterans plates who push paper.

You may or may not be presumptuous, but you're right.

When I started the thread a couple years ago, I was feeling very stuck in my job. Without the masters degree, I was pretty much stuck as far as any kind of change that could be made. So I decided that I had to play the long game on my exit plan from my job. As frustrated as I have been with the organization for a long time, I was able to do both of my internships in other departments there, which allowed me to learn a lot and proved significantly helpful because the internship work is still paid (though at a lesser rate) and counts as part of my 40 hours.

I do aim to have a good chunk of my eventual practice to be geared toward helping kids in foster care-I envision using therapy to help them resolve their trauma (and in turn reduce difficult behaviors and be more likely to maintain placement), as well as work with the foster and biological parents with these goals in mind.

I'm getting ready to head back to Colorado for the second weekend of EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) training. EMDR is a process that helps people quickly resolve trauma by stimulating both hemispheres of the brain. It is quite fascinating how it all works. I'm excited that I'll be able to incorporate this into my practice from the get-go. I'm also excited to be able to begin using it with an internship client who is a soldier and has PTSD from his time in Iraq. Seeing him a little later this morning.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

If I am switching careers, it better be more money than the previous. If you make around the 100K-range, how many job prospects are out there that can bring more cash with extra school or training? And consider your age group how much time you got left on this earth before you can savor the prize of your labor.

If I had known would have gone to some school of mines -Petroleum Engineering. I would have been much happier. But that is neither here nor there. After the military, took awhile to get going but I got it done. Raised a family, good homes and some properties, good hobbies, now just looking forward to a retirement. I just want to hunt and fish and experience the outdoors. Maybe a small farm? I don't mind snow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Quote:
Don't marry - stay single.

That sounder fun when I was in my 30's & 40's but now that I'm looking at 60 it is boring and lonely being single and I'm facing old age being alone with nobody to share life with.

Agree 1000%. Being single sux at 46.

Maybe you 2 could hook up?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
We're all pulling for you.

Shocked

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Shocked

Huh? It means we are all behind him, like we are all pulling on the same rope to get him unstuck from his rut and into a better line.

And that was almost two years ago. Are you just trolling old threads looking for shit to stir?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Idiomatic English strikes again.

“We are pulling for you “ and “ we are behind you “ and “ we have your back”

All meaning much the same.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Shocked

Huh? It means we are all behind him, like we are all pulling on the same rope to get him unstuck from his rut and into a better line.

And that was almost two years ago. Are you just trolling old threads looking for shit to stir?

Well, initially I just checked in to this thread to see how the op was getting on. And then.... Yes, I was. I was looking for shit to stir. And the vague connection that I made from your perfectly normal comment to some type of smut kind of shocked me. You see, "pulling" is also used like "jerking off". The shocking visual that tried to force its way through my moral filter - that of a swage of Sambanists pulling in unison just for the sake of the op - has bothered me since. I'm sure you understand.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

I don’t understand but if I were you I’d blame it on being drunk 🥴
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Idiomatic English strikes again.

“We are pulling for you “ and “ we are behind you “ and “ we have your back”

All meaning much the same.

"We'll be there for you" - title song from TV show "Friends"
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Shocked

Well, initially I just checked in to this thread to see how the op was getting on. And then.... Yes, I was. I was looking for shit to stir. And the vague connection that I made from your perfectly normal comment to some type of smut kind of shocked me. You see, "pulling" is also used like "jerking off". The shocking visual that tried to force its way through my moral filter - that of a swage of Sambanists pulling in unison just for the sake of the op - has bothered me since. I'm sure you understand.

Well, if csdennisg were offering that, then his PM mail box would be full.

Lets put this one in the COVID-home-angst category for now.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Change my Career Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Shocked

Yep, I get where you were coming from. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: