Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace and refill radiator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

While bleeding my radiator I cracked it when tightening the bleeder screw back down. Probably for the best, the bottom of it looks to be in pretty sad shape. Once I get the new radiator in is there a process for getting it filled back up with coolant? Don't have my copy of the repair manual yet so I'm not sure how to go about that part. I grabbed a new fan switch as well since I'm going the replacement. Not exactly sure where that bad boy is located. Thanks for the advice.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

When is last time you flushed out your coolant system? You may want to take this opportunity to do a decent flush and fill it with nice coolant.

But basically you're going to replace radiator then replace coolant in the rear overflow tank. Look up libby bong or bleed radiator here on samba.
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

I’ve never flushed it. Only had the van 3 weeks bug have been filling the overflow tank a lot as the van sat for years. Finally to the point where the overflow is constant in max. So I suppose no ther leaks. What I gathered is. Replace the radiator, open the bleeder valve. Add fluid to the left upper tank. Rec rev engine with heater on. Repeat until fluid comes out the bleeader and then top off the system.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

bretly wrote:
I’ve never flushed it. Only had the van 3 weeks bug have been filling the overflow tank a lot as the van sat for years. Finally to the point where the overflow is constant in max. So I suppose no ther leaks. What I gathered is. Replace the radiator, open the bleeder valve. Add fluid to the left upper tank. Rec rev engine with heater on. Repeat until fluid comes out the bleeader and then top off the system.

Yeah that's basically it. After you tighten the bleeder, keep engine rev'd for a bit and top off system. put lid back on, then let go of throttle.

I would recommend a behr radiator.
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

Ordered from van cafe and that’s what they carry so all good there. At least I get a chocolate chip cookie outta the deal Wink
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

The temp fan switch sensor is located at bottom right of the radiator if you are looking at it from the front of vehicle. You will have to remove bottom grill.
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

A few more questions on this. There is a plastic junction with a plastic valve on it that appears to be part of the cooling system. Is this to be open when filling the radiator and bleeding the system is this the "bleeder valve"?

http://www.vancafe.com/025121082PLASTIC_p/025121082plastic.htm

Just past that there is an upright cylinder with what a metal hose running into it and it has one of these on the top:

http://www.vancafe.com/211611477A_p/211611477a.htm

or

http://www.busdepot.com/211611477a

Is this where you actually bleed the brakes or is this the bleeder valve that needs to be opened when filling the system? I've read that the bleeder valve doesn't actually need to be opened just that is helps the process. Just don't want to mess with that thing if it's not the bleeder.
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

@RoryGirl spot on yeah that is it! Think I'm ready to take these repairs on. Big weekend: fuel tank reseal, radiator replacement, new head lights, oil change, air filter, belt, all the bulbs and starting sanding on the inside.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

bretly wrote:
A few more questions on this. There is a plastic junction with a plastic valve on it that appears to be part of the cooling system. Is this to be open when filling the radiator and bleeding the system is this the "bleeder valve"?

http://www.vancafe.com/025121082PLASTIC_p/025121082plastic.htm

Just past that there is an upright cylinder with what a metal hose running into it and it has one of these on the top:

http://www.vancafe.com/211611477A_p/211611477a.htm

or

http://www.busdepot.com/211611477a

Is this where you actually bleed the brakes or is this the bleeder valve that needs to be opened when filling the system? I've read that the bleeder valve doesn't actually need to be opened just that is helps the process. Just don't want to mess with that thing if it's not the bleeder.
The first plastic bit you mentioned needs to be opened when doing an initial fill and bleed on the cooling system.

The second thing is the clutch slave cylinder and yes, that's where you'll bleed it when you're done with the other stuff!!

Good luck! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

So you're saying to bleed the clutch save cylinder after everything else is done? It doesn't show that in the bentley manual I found. Just the bleeder valve. So if that is the case, do I bleed that after the I've closed all the other valves, the plastic one and the screw on the radiator?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

That cylinder is the Clutch Slave Cylinder - and its bleeder. You don't need to touch this system at all if you are just doing a radiator replacement.

However if you do some brake work, then should you need to bleed all brakes and cylinder.
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

Ahh, ok got it. Honestly more worried about the fuel line resealing than the radiator bleed. The radiator just seems to be a little time consuming. I guess the fuel lines too. I am wondering if I'll need to put the Van on stands to do either job. Hoping not.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

bretly wrote:
Ahh, ok got it. Honestly more worried about the fuel line resealing than the radiator bleed. The radiator just seems to be a little time consuming. I guess the fuel lines too. I am wondering if I'll need to put the Van on stands to do either job. Hoping not.

I think it would be possible to do both jobs while not on jack stands.

As far as fuel lines - I bought the GoWesty kit and used Van-Cafe's fuel rails. I did purchase the hardline kit but did not implement them. Also take this opportunity to replace your fuel filter.

Maybe even consider resealing fuel tank and/or replacing tank. First time I filled up, I had a lot of gas leaking underneath!

All this $$$ adds up. I did not replace my fuel tank - but plan to next time I drop tank. At very minimum I would do fuel line kit and fuel filter.
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

Mainly my leaks are coming from the vent lines so I ordered that fuel tank reseal kit from van cafe. I ordered the tuneup kit from go westy with the bigger fuel filter but that will take a year and a day to get here so maybe I'll have to drop it again, or perhaps I should wait until that kit comes in to do the lines altogether.

It's still completely drivable once I get the radiator in it although I can't put in more than 1/2 - 3/4 of a tank of gas. Seems like I could have just bought fuel line and clamps from any auto parts store though for the vents. also got the grommets for those as well as they were recommended.

So not doing the fuel lines as they are pretty solid right now and don't have any leaks. The good part is I'm slowly replacing everything on the van so there won't be much to do in the future. Wink Except that Subaru upgrade next year
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

Yeah you could have bought the stuff from auto parts store but some vendors go out of their way to get the best parts possible. I had no problem giving GoWesty the money for their kit. They also have a lot of good information on their site that 'free'.

You can put the fuel filter inline without dropping the tank.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

Unless the fuel lines were replaced last year you still need to replace them no matter how 'good' they look.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

So if I buy the reseal kit, which I already have and the larger fuel filter (ordered) then order the fuel line replacement kit and the plastic line kit from go westy is there anything else I should be replacing? At that point it seems the only other lines that wouldn't be replaces would be the plastic ones going to the overflow tanks? Seems like I should just do this all at once when all the parts get in and I imagine it'll take all day.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

Yep. Just do it all at one time and get it over with.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

Got everything on order, so I guess the fuel lines will be next weeks project. Is there any bleeding or anything required when replacing all of the lines or do you simply do it and let the fuel pump do it's job and turn the key until it fires up?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace and refill radiator Reply with quote

bretly wrote:
Got everything on order, so I guess the fuel lines will be next weeks project. Is there any bleeding or anything required when replacing all of the lines or do you simply do it and let the fuel pump do it's job and turn the key until it fires up?

I guess you can turn the ignition 3 times and that should be enough fuel to engine. I don't know if I did this but I don't recall of having any issues.

Fuel lines should be top priority.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: