Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch adjustment help
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

I have a lowered 1967 bus, flipped spindles on front and 1969 Beetle engine & transmission in the rear.....With the 1969 Beetle engine & transmission in the rear, I can not get my hand up to the wing nut to adjust the clutch cable. There is just NO ROOM to work up there...I need to tighten the clutch cable a little bit....Anyone have any ideas that I can try?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Remove engine.

A. Measure from front of engine case where it mates to the transaxle to the front of the pressure plate.

B. Measure from TO bearing to the rear surface of the transaxle where it mates to the engine case.

B should be about 1/8" (3mm) more than A.

Make a tool to adjust the clutch wing nut and adjust.

Install engine.

Check clutch play. If it needs more adjustment, pull engine and do so.
greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

I heard of wrapping a thin rag around the wing nut and then pulling ....what do you think and another tricks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

If you can't fit your arm up in there, pay a shop.

I don't see much difference in adjusting the clutch on a split bus compared to my 69 bug, so maybe I'm missing something in the question.

If you need more ground clearance, use a jack to create some.
If it is hard to turn the wingnut, use a pair of vise grips on the cable (non threaded portion).
I have a tiny adjustable wrench I use for the wingnut, it gives a little more leverage.

When the engine is out, I make a point of making sure the clutch cable threads are greased and the wingnut is easy to turn... so when it needs to be adjusted it is easier. Sometimes they get rusted stuck which is frustrating to deal with when the engine is in. I've bent wingnut arms.

I need to go adjust my clutch too.
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

The older style cable has two nuts, which are fairly easy to reach with ratcheting wrenches.

Maybe you could use a nut like this instead of the wingnut and reach it with a wrench instead? I've never tried it, just a thought.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2064736

The size of the threads have varied over the years so be aware of that.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

greenboat4 wrote:
I heard of wrapping a thin rag around the wing nut and then pulling ....what do you think and another tricks?

If you can not get your hand up there, how is a rag tossed over it going to help??
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
greenboat4 wrote:

If you can not get your hand up there, how is a rag tossed over it going to help??

Someone got their hand in there to instal engine.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
greenboat4 wrote:

Yet OP states " I can not get my hand up to the wing nut to adjust the clutch cable. ". Might be the upper bolts were glued in place.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
greenboat4 wrote:

Yet OP states " I can not get my hand up to the wing nut to adjust the clutch cable. ". Might be the upper bolts were glued in place.

Maybe they were glued in place or “locktighted”, wouldn’t prevent a hand and arm from squeezing in there. It’s been a few years, but the basics haven’t been lost to me. I would recommend pulling the front tin ( behind fan shroud) at least on one side.
Not everyone has the ability to work on cars, limits and range of motion etc.
or should.
mike brind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

there always a pain to get at , made a little easier if u remove the tube from heat exchanger to cab , also with the wheel removed and on axle stands .
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

I just did the adjustment a few days ago. My single cab is not lowered. There is no way I could get my arm up to do it with the bus on the ground. I put the back end up on one ramp and then I could reach my arm up in to make the adjustment. Fingertips were enough to turn the wing that with a vice grip on the cable. FWIW I am not a small person. It was a tough job to do.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

i find breaking my arm in three places helps a lot with getting at wingnut/bolt Smile- failing that take off the heater box accordion thing and jack the car up and remove the tires makes life easier.

please use a jack stand on some form of secondary support if you are gonna be crawling under the car with the wheel off
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

uh did you try removing the tire and putting your bus on stands? There's plenty of room that way. It should not be that difficult......

Good luck!
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
...I don't see much difference in adjusting the clutch on a split bus compared to my 69 bug, so maybe I'm missing something in the question. ...

Same here...
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

You can drive the two left wheels up on the curb to give you room to get under the bus, but that means lying in the gutter. I'd remove the left rear wheel and put a jackstand under the torsion tube, should be an easy reach from there.

Eric & Barb always have good advice. With the engine out is easiest, learn to check the clutch every time you drop the motor.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Harleyelf wrote:
You can drive the two left wheels up on the curb to give you room to get under the bus, but that means lying in the gutter. I'd remove the left rear wheel and put a jackstand under the torsion tube, should be an easy reach from there.

Eric & Barb always have good advice. With the engine out is easiest, learn to check the clutch every time you drop the motor.

I've had to readjust clutches from time to time after an &R with nothing else done. Weird how it happens......so i always recheck clutch every time motor goes back in.
greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

First ....thank you all everyone .... I am able to get my fingers on the wing nut however cant hand turn wing nut, just to tight of a space.

Taking off the wheel helped greatly !!! I could get my hand in and create enough torque to turn the wing nut.

Great ideas and greatly appreciated

Love this forum
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Great that you got it working!! Very Happy
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

Two pairs of vise grips. Larger one on the cable, smaller one turn the wingnut a quarter turn at a time.
aeroFlutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch adjustment help Reply with quote

greenboat4 wrote:
First ....thank you all everyone .... I am able to get my fingers on the wing nut however cant hand turn wing nut, just to tight of a space.

Taking off the wheel helped greatly !!! I could get my hand in and create enough torque to turn the wing nut.

Great ideas and greatly appreciated

Love this forum

Great to hear you got it working! I have a similar swap in my SC. Do you happen to know what clutch cable you are using in yours?

Thanks!
'16 Volvo V60 Polestar
'05 JCW MINI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: