Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane noob question (lighting Dometic)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm having some problems with my Dometic on propane. I tried using it for the first time today. I know I have propane in the tank since the stove burners are working fine.

When trying to ignite the fridge, it doesn't work. I can't hear or smell any propane while holding the safety button on the fridge. I followed most videos found on Youtube.

I tried with a lighter through the small pilot hole but nothing seems to happen. Do I have a problem with gas getting to the pilot?

What else should I check?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question Reply with quote

Here is some additional information about these troublesome units.
http://www.vanagonauts.com/refrigerator-madness228.htm

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question Reply with quote

But am I supposed to smell propane?
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question Reply with quote

John-y25 wrote:

Nope! I didn't. My fridge had sat unused for years before i used it and needed some coaxing. First try running it with AC shore power or 12v while you drive around (12v does not work without engine running stock) to make sure it can work at all. As for the propane I had to pump and pump and then click and hold the safety about ten times before it started. Now it fires up no problem. I have the earlier model in my van - I'm not sure if that affects the starter.

Good luck.

Last edited by sphet on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

To be clear you followed the instructions on the inside of the fridge door, pumping and then holding the safety while you click the ignitor?

Last edited by sphet on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
To be clear you followed the instructions on the inside of the fridge door, pumping and rhen holding the safety while you click the ignitor?

Yes I did
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
John-y25 wrote:

Nope! I didn't. My fridge had sat unused for years before i used it and needed some coaxing. First try running it with AC shore power or 12v while you drive around (12v does not work without engine running stock) to make sure it can work at all. As for the propane I had to pump and pump and then click and hold the safety about ten times before it started. Now it dores up no problem. I have the earlier model in my van - I'm not sure if that affects the starter.

Good luck.

It does work on 120v. I switched fuse #3 on my aux battery, I don’t know if it changes something..
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

As mentioned, running it on 110VAC overnight often makes it much easier to light.

Blowing some air into that tube at the bottom may also help (may improve the mixture in the little burner box and stir up and dust in there).

If oyu see the green light come on (if you have that model) continue to hold the button in for some time to get the thermo switch warmed up enough that the gas stays on.

You might mention what year you have or better still post a photo of the controls as they changed thru the years.

Sorry, corrected that.

Last edited by Ahwahnee on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
As mentioned, running it on propane overnight often makes it much easier to light.

Blowing some air into that tube at the bottom may also help (may improve the mixture in the little burner box and stir up and dust in there).

If oyu see the green light come on (if you have that model) continue to hold the button in for some time to get the thermo switch warmed up enough that the gas stays on.

You might mention what year you have or better still post a photo of the controls as they changed thru the years.

DId you mean running it on 120v overnight?

And it’s a 1990 Vanagon. I do have the light but can’t make sure it works without it starting !
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

A) Run it on 120V first... couple hours, overnight, whatever.

B) Open gas valve all the way and turn LED panel on.

C) Turn gas dial on fridge from off to on (12 o'clock position), and turn temperature dial to 10 o'clock position.

D) Run the stove for a minute (optional, but sometimes helpful).

E) If your 1990 has what is shown below...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...then you have an electronic ignition fridge:

F) Pump air, about 15 strokes.

H) Push in the gas (flame) button. Red light should flash and, if in a quiet area, you should hear the <click, click, click> of the ignitor. If you do see/hear this, proceed to next step. If you don't, probably time to pull the fridge.

I) Press and hold bypass button while continuing to pump air until green propane light on panel is lit and the flashing red ignitor light goes out. Once the green light is lit, stop pumping air but continue holding bypass button for another 10-30 seconds.

Fuse #3 has nothing to do with the 1990 fridge. The two fuses on the B-pillar behind the driver's seat are for the fridge, LED panel, and water pump.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
A) Run it on 120V first... couple hours, overnight, whatever.

B) Open gas valve all the way and turn LED panel on.

C) Turn gas dial on fridge from off to on (12 o'clock position), and turn temperature dial to 10 o'clock position.

D) Run the stove for a minute (optional, but sometimes helpful).

E) If your 1990 has what is shown below...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...then you have an electronic ignition fridge:

F) Pump air, about 15 strokes.

H) Push in the gas (flame) button. Red light should flash and, if in a quiet area, you should hear the <click, click, click> of the ignitor. If you do see/hear this, proceed to next step. If you don't, probably time to pull the fridge.

I) Press and hold bypass button while continuing to pump air until green propane light on panel is lit and the flashing red ignitor light goes out. Once the green light is lit, stop pumping air but continue holding bypass button for another 10-30 seconds.

Fuse #3 has nothing to do with the 1990 fridge. The two fuses on the B-pillar behind the driver's seat are for the fridge, LED panel, and water pump.

Thanks! I don’t have the electronic ignition though. I’m letting it sleep on 120v right now!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

John-y25 wrote:

Thanks! I don’t have the electronic ignition though.

Bummer! (Must be an early-ish 1990?) Steps are roughly the same though; you simply won't have the luxury of the auto-ignite.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

Just to make sure we're on the same page, why don't you post a pic of your fridge's control panel.

Craig
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

Ok so I got the fridge out of the cabinet since LP didn't want to work at all. I cleaned everything this morning and will be testing from a bbq propane tank tonight.

Two questions though:
-When blowing the pump (the little knob on the left (A)), there doesn't seem to be air coming out of it. I disconnected the pump from tube that goes down the combustion chamber, and blew air and it passed through. When pumping at the pump though, there is no air coming out. Am I supposed to feel air coming out of the pump when no tube is connected to it?

-I disconnected the fan since it was really noisy to swap with another computer fan I had. I plugged the fan on a 12v source in my shed, and it made no noise at all. What can cause it to make noise when installed on the fridge? There were no wires going in the fan or anything..
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

John-y25 wrote:
... I plugged the fan on a 12v source in my shed, and it made no noise at all. What can cause it to make noise when installed on the fridge?

As I recall the fan blades can spin very close to the fins. The armature may even shift a bit when the fans start so the interference may not be obvious when it is not running.

Alternately, a dry bearing will complain a bit, some long-lasting lube usually takes care of that.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

My fridge saga took two removals to finally find the (last) culprit. I didn't do the pump mod suggested on samba or GW, but if your pump isn't doing anything, thats an idea to fix.

1, my 'drain tube' (the little pipe that runs out under the fridge grill under the fridge was corroded stuck. And full of yuck. I got that resolved.

2, my combustion chamber not only had more yuck in it just waiting ot fall down into that tube again, but the gasket was fubar.

3. inside the combustion chamer, there is a hollow tube that holds the jet, and has a few other spaces for the flame. Mine had creepy cacoons in there. This was the very last thing I found, after thinking I had done everything else possible.

Yes, I did hook it up with a grill tank, and 110V, and put in a different fan, and check the thermo circuit to be sure the fan kicked in and blew the right direction.

After that, I STILL had trouble, until I chatted this all up here A LOT. Best solution/answer was that I was flooding the combustion chamber! It took one pump, one second of gas 'on" and one click, and it was working. So, like 1.5 seconds.

Good to clean everything up and all that, but the flame tube with the cocoons in it was the actual problem with mine.

I took an inordinate amount of time to wrap the wire from the ignitor button to the chamber, as it seemed like the fabric like material was bound to touch the van at some point and make the spark function a mute point.

I made sure to get my method of starting the gas system refined multiple times while it was out of the van, so I could remember how mine really worked... No pumping 15 times, or all that other mumbo jumbo for mine, now that it is clean, has a good seal and the spark wire is insulated.

Good luck!

-bobby
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

one starting tip, once you've rehabbed the frig by cleaning the pan, renewing the gasket, cleaning the drain tube, lubing the pump, cleaning the jet orifice, cleaning the glass window, cleaning and polishing the sight tube, and tending to the ignitor-- is to start the frig on low, just pilot, by turning the temp knob all the way to the "OFF" position. this does NOT shut the gas off as the pilot will remain lit. keep it on pilot for 3 or more hours THEN turn the temp knob up to the desired position (i run mine at 9:00).

my theory is that convective heat currents need to get established before the flame is brought up higher. hence the success of most of us by starting it on 120v or 12v first, then lighting the gas. the convective currents bring in fresh air, that without, will snuff out the 'on' level of the flame but seem to be enough air for the pilot.

i discovered this by finding that i was able to light it on pilot, it would remain lit, but as soon as i turned the thermostat cooler, the flame would snuff out unless the frig had been running a long while.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
...start the frig on low, just pilot... keep it on pilot for 3 or more hours THEN turn the temp knob up...

my theory is that convective heat currents need to get established before the flame is brought up higher. hence the success of most of us by starting it on 120v or 12v first, then lighting the gas. the convective currents bring in fresh air, that without, will snuff out the 'on' level of the flame but seem to be enough air for the pilot...

That is an interesting theory and makes sense to me. I will try this next time I 'light up'. Maybe 4:20 some afternoon?
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i discovered this by finding that i was able to light it on pilot, it would remain lit, but as soon as i turned the thermostat cooler, the flame would snuff out unless the frig had been running a long while.

I just did a [second] R&R on my fridge and had the exact same experience during the BBQ tank test before reinstalling (did the muffin fan on the interior mod this time too). I spent a long time and a lot of backfires trying to get it lit but when I tried it on the lowest thermostat setting it lit right away. Oddly, it lit pretty easily on high before I took it out this last time.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Propane noob question (lighting Dometic) Reply with quote

Well, I'll try lighting it on low tonight to start only the pilot.

My gasket is actually not in a really good shape, but it covers the whole thing up so I think it shouldn't be that bad. I can't find the gasket online, so should I use some RTV Sealant to close it? I've never used it before. If I use RTV Silicone seal, will I be able to remove it some other times to do some more maintenance?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: