Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some clutch issues.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Some clutch issues. Reply with quote

So i picked up a bus a while back, a 1970, i just put the running engine from my 69 bus in it with the brandy freakin' new clutch, throw out bearing (the late style bearing), clutch cable, and bowden tube. Parked it feels like it's grabbing gears fine, running it only will go into reverse and get stuck in there. I have adjusted the clutch cable almost to the max, which i'm pretty sure i shouldnt have to. If i try to put the bus into 1st-4th gear it acts as though the clutch wont disengage, the bus leans forward a bit trying to grab the gears but doesnt go in, it will chirp and slam into reverse but not come back out. My rear shift coupler fell apart which is an issue but i don't think could cause this. Could i have cracked my clutch disc somehow and its broken? i lightly put forward tension on the engine with ratchet straps out of frustration working alone which i know is a big no no, i heard a ping sound at one point, but i pulled the motor back away and inspected everything, nothing looked broken. Upon re-installation i got it back in fine the normal way without straps. I had the similar sensation once accompanied by a grinding sound by accidentally putting an early style throw out bearing in a late transaxle, but i'm positive i have the correct throw out bearing this time.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Some clutch issues. Reply with quote

Did you check the condition of the pilot bearing in the gland nut?
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Some clutch issues. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
i did not, what are you thinking?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Some clutch issues. Reply with quote

VW Man 53 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
i did not, what are you thinking?

If the pilot bearing is bad, you will have exactly the problems you are seeing.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Some clutch issues. Reply with quote

A bad pilot bearing will catch the input (clutch) shaft and continue spinning it even when the clutch is disengaged. Causing grinding and it not to go into gear.
Tcash
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Some clutch issues. Reply with quote

i'll pull her back out tomorrow and report my findings
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Some clutch issues. Reply with quote

Thanks for steering me in the right direction boys, pulled the engine, realized the input shaft had gotten quite the layer of crud on it from the bus sitting with no engine for a few decades, wire wheeled the shaft, greased it up, engine popped back in super easy, all in an hour and a half after i got out of work. The big blue bus moved under its own power for the first time in 40 years. I appreciate this community so much, there is no other like it, i'm pretty damn experienced with these cars at this point and it's really nice to have sage wisdom to turn to when i get stumped, THANK YOU!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: