Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WheelSkins steering wheel cover
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

After doing some basic search, then reading all the positive feedback here on The Samba, I ordered my Wheelskins cover. It came in just 2 days, and I installed it yesterday. I will say it took quiet a bit of effort to stretch it over the wheel, but once it was on, took 60 mins to do the stiching.I am so pleased with the way it looks, feels and smells! The grip is amazing! No more slippery wheel. The control is so much better, and the added thickness is way more comfortable. Did i mention the nice leather smell when getting into the van?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

doctorsemaphore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I added a Wheelskin to my '68 bug thirty years ago and that thing still looks and feels awesome...I do remember it being quite a chore to install it, but well worth the effort, IMO!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I didn't tighten mine down as much as I should. I need to go around the wheel and tighten it all up.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

My wheelskin has been on for about 6 years now and is working out well. Seems like I remember spending a good hour to lace it up. I like that it increases the diameter of the wheel which makes it more comfortable for me on long trips. There is more surface area on the wheel to rest your hands which makes a difference after hours of driving. I like that it stays put and doesn't twist plus it looks good too.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Hellyeah, the Wheelskin makes a huge difference with the bigger non-power steering wheel. Mine has held up perfectly for four years or so. Like a baseball glove, it gets more comfortable with age. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Hellyeah, the Wheelskin makes a huge difference with the bigger non-power steering wheel. Mine has held up perfectly for four years or so. Like a baseball glove, it gets more comfortable with age. Very Happy

Oh, yeah. Do you think that the leather would like some mink oil, the way my baseball glove used to?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Oh, yeah. Do you think that the leather would like some mink oil, the way my baseball glove used to?

I think it specifies not to use anything like that in the manual
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Wow the VW mojo is strong indeed!

Last night I'm in the van with Mrs. 9 & 1/2 bemoaning the 'non leather' status of my steering wheel.
Crying or Very sad
Lo and Behold Exclamation
The universe provides an answer.
Just ordered a two tone Tan/Sand perforated wrap.

Stay tuned.
Cool

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Mine is four years old, holding up well!

It was a "most excellent" thing to do to the Van.

Go get one today.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Well I'm glad were all in agreement on this one! With all the parts i have replaced that didn't make a difference,this is defiantly a upgrade that made a big difference!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Actually I think the oils from my hands keep it how it needs to be. Just another example of becoming one with the machine?

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Actually I think the oils from my hands keep it how it needs to be. Just another example of becoming one with the machine?

Nice! I have pretty dry hands, so I'm prolly not helping the leather. On the other hand, it looks brand new five years later.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I hope you guys get a commission for the order I just put in.....
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Joe, that is sweat from driving the Syncro...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
btownkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I got one last year..amazing and definitely worth the money!
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Me too. Very happy with the result. I also got a piece of leather in the exact same color for the horn button.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Joe, that is sweat from driving the Syncro...

No doubt!!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

That red stitching is sweet! and the horn button cover is trick for sure!
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Me too. Very happy with the result. I also got a piece of leather in the exact same color for the horn button.

Is your wheel cover the same type as the OP’s? Did you use thread to instill it?
Looks like you also covered the instrument panel cover.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Michael4104 wrote:
OddN wrote:

Is your wheel cover the same type as the OP’s? Did you use thread to instill it?
Looks like you also covered the instrument panel cover.

I ordered everything from a british (i think) company on eBay. They even sent me different samples of leather to match it with the rest of the interior before ordering the parts. I can check for sure where it was.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: