Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help fitting stainless trim on hood
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Need help fitting stainless trim on hood Reply with quote

I have all of my trim on except the hood. The 2 holds nearest to the handle are “too big”.
I pushed the clips in and pushed the inner piece in but they are not grabbing the hood. I can pull the trim up out of the hole.
Any ideas?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help fitting stainless trim on hood Reply with quote

Do you have the rubber seals in the holes first?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help fitting stainless trim on hood Reply with quote

Small washer on the inside?

Push the clip through the hood hole and then through the washer, then push the expansion pin to lock the pin into the washer? Will require a thin washer. May have to punch your own out of thin brass or alu sheet.
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help fitting stainless trim on hood Reply with quote

Small washer on the inside?

Push the clip through the hood hole and then through the washer, then push the expansion pin to lock the pin into the washer? Will require a thin washer. May have to punch your own out of thin brass or alu sheet.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help fitting stainless trim on hood Reply with quote

Are you inserting the plastic grommets into the holes before attaching the trim?

If the holes aren't too much bigger than they need to be, you can spread the clips a bit to make them fit better, or add a few layers of shrink tubing to make them a little 'fatter'.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help fitting stainless trim on hood Reply with quote

Yes I am using the rubber washer on them. The problem came about when I tried to "open up" the holes when it got back from paint. I opened the up a tad too much. I am installing them BEFORE I snap the trim on.
The small washer is certainly an idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: