Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATED w/ pic-Question on Westy pop top front hook/catch thingy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: UPDATED w/ pic-Question on Westy pop top front hook/catch thingy Reply with quote

Hi all,

First off, thanks to all who have provided guidance and direction throughout our repair/fabrication/sourcing/rebuild/resto/love journey with our '73 Westy. We finally made it to the coast and back (only 45 miles one way.. but still Laughing ) for Mothers Day!

Anyway, onto the topic. So the original front mount roof hinges on the PopiBus were wasted so my future son-in-law, who works in metal, took the originals to his shop to fab up just the arms out of flat steel so I could drill them, bush them, etc., and try them out. Turns out, as a fathers day present, he fab'd the entire hinge with brackets, etc. and they are damn near an exact duplicate of the original hinges. They fit perfectly, lift perfectly, and are extremely beefy and well built (which is no surprise, knowing him).

My question pertains to the front catch/hook that secures the top when closed. I don't have one, never did. In fact, the pop-top that came with the Bus has NO holes for that long arm at all, even though the bus has the inner mounting bracket near the mirror. Maybe I have a '68 top? Who knows. (Heck, the pop top and luggage rack were never attached to the bus when we got it - someone had shaved all the bolts flush with the roof, bondo'd them flat and painted the leaving the opeining... NO idea why.) So I am wondering how necessary it actually is given the beef of the hinges - all of the bolts are grade 8 and the arms are 3/16" flat stainless steel. Now, I can definitely make the long arm and roof catch but wanted to get your feedback on the degree of necessity based on the metal used.

I do understand the force of the wind, etc. could be quite high and have no problem with making the brackets as a "just in case" but still wanted to run it past all you smart folks to get some feedback.

So thanks for reading my babbling and happy late fathers day to all of you who happen to have offspring.

Mikey in NorCal.

Last edited by MikeyM73 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Westy pop top front hook/catch thingy Reply with quote

HELLO,
I would say get the other parts. Even though you have some bomber hinges that were made, they still will not keep the front lip down in place if a strong wind catches the front. Those brackets you are missing lock the front edge down into place.
Have him make some brackets that go from the poptop to the drip rail, if you don't want to get the factory hardware. But, without anything to hold the front down in place, a strong wind will make the new bomber hinges raise up anyway.
That's the way I see it, You need something up there holding the top in place. The hinges alone, are not enough.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Westy pop top front hook/catch thingy Reply with quote

I have the same question Skills asked in your other thread on the same topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693735&highlight=

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Westy pop top front hook/catch thingy Reply with quote

Hi BD. It's the hook on the roof that kind of 69's the one on the fiberglass top. The ones that are shaped like an L with a backwards C. I think it would be pretty straight forward to make.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Westy pop top front hook/catch thingy Reply with quote

OH.. by the way... would anyone be able to measure both pieces of the rear supports and maybe post a couple pics of them and what they connect to at the top and roof? I'm going to try to make that one, too Smile).
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on Westy pop top front hook/catch thingy Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interested in seeing these hinges he made for me. Sorry they are a little dark.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VERY solid, made all from stainless hardware, and the craftsmanship is awesome. They work very well and are bushed with nylon bushings.

Enjoy.
Thanks,
Mikey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: