Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Draw through Baja build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

MMCCARTHY wrote:
The worst thing about the internet is we cannot see the other persons face while he is talking , I was not offended but thank you . The float bowl on a side draft is too small volume wise and normal fuel pressure does not deliver enough volume of fuel to keep the float bowl filled while under boost . Raising the fuel pressure beyond normal by boost referencing does allow it to keep fuel bowl full while under boost. I hope ya'll have a Happy and Wonderful New year . Mike McCarthy

Lord knows I love crazy setups that may not make any sense. But before you do all this cockamamie stuff to a side drought Weber to make it work why don’t you oh I don’t know just put the Holley on there where you can have small primaries for drivability, a vacuum secondary and boost reference power valve AND enough fuel capacity in the carb to just run whatever pump you want.

The rest of the automotive world has figured out and embraced the Holley. You can draw expertise from a base 1000X the size of the VW community for tuning. For whatever reason the VW community has Weber on the brain and honestly after owning a few variations I can honestly say that they’re okay carbs that from a tuning standpoint are kinda shitty.

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

That's exactly what I did on my 2276cc , but side draft's are so sexy,, I just had to leave it on my 1915cc,, and It flatass worx on the smaller motor Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

LOL, my whole car should not do what it does , but it does work well . I have run a Preditor carb (another obsolete idea) , a veritable venturi carb that gives you exactly the cfm that your engine can use from 300-930 cfm and no more . I have run a Holley 600 in "Pro Outlaw " class and ran 6.30's with it . I have been running my 48 Dellorto for a few years now and I really like it . My friend Dave Kawell ran a 5.58 in the 1/8th with the exact same carb setup . My motto is " I have done so much with so little for so long that now I can do anything with nothing " . SEABEES NMCB1 1970-74 . Mike McCarthy

It works well on my 2387 engine also Madmike
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

I just finished installing the black box. I locked out a German 009 with a pertronix I had. I took out the 009, that I limited with a set screw in the weight stop, just in case I need to ever go back. And I really hope I don’t ever have to!
I have the the drivers compartment sealed behind the seats with an aluminum panel on the lower half and plexiglass on the upper half so I can see out of the back. I mounted the box behind the drivers seat on the panel to keep it out of the dust.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wired it per CB’s instructions that come with the back box on a small cd. I kept the positive 12v wire to the coil/+points separate from the -coil and
-points wires by at least 8”. Except of course where they go into the black box connector and where they meet at the coil. I teed into the manifold vacuum line I have running to my AEM failsafe wideband gauge and plumbed that into the box. I bought a usb to serial cable off amazon for $9 and I had no problems connecting to the box. I loaded the 10psi map that I modified a little and the car fired right up! I ran back with a timing light and barely had to adjust the distributor so it matched the 15 degrees where the box was telling me I was at.

Here’s my first attempt at a map, please don’t hesitate to let me know if you see something that could be better. (I haven’t tuned it for light cruise yet)

It fired up right away, nothing weird, no kick back. I took it for a hot lap around the neighborhood and the driveability is a night and day difference now! I don’t feel any bog from takeoff what so ever. It feels way more responsive everywhere. I’m super excited and can’t wait to tune it more! Especially while I’m cruising in the desert at light throttle, the 24 degrees max advance I had wasn’t helping my head temps at all.

Last edited by Maddward on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

I keep telling the people that digital ignition fixes almost all Volkswagen carb drivability problems but NOBODY wants to listen!! Very nice follow up

Do me a favor and try this I wanna see if it works on more vehicles than just mine. At 100 and 105 Kpa run the timing back to 25 degrees then let it ramp up like you have it now after.

Your turbo should make boost a lot harder and faster.

Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

Ok Krochus I’ll copy my current map and mess around with the timing like you said and report back as soon as I get some time.
I just got back from my 3rd hotlap around the hood, it’s a completely different car. I can hear the turbo spool a lot more and louder now too. And I’m still only on the 7psi spring in the wastegate, my manual boost controller is wide open at the moment. As good as the vacuum secondary modification sounds with the sidedraft, I might not need to at all now?

I’m off to go search for timing maps and get an idea of higher cruise timing at lower kpa’s. I can see lower oil and head temps in my near future Twisted Evil
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

Cool Cody, Keep us posted Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:

The rest of the automotive world has figured out and embraced the Holley. You can draw expertise from a base 1000X the size of the VW community for tuning. For whatever reason the VW community has Weber on the brain and honestly after owning a few variations I can honestly say that they’re okay carbs that from a tuning standpoint are kinda shitty.

You can buy a kit to convert a holley to IDF Emulsion tubes.
Wink

I have seen both ways work great, when done right.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

I just got back from terrorizing the streets for about an hour with my tuning buddy Nathan in the passenger seat. He dialed in the map pretty damn good and I’m totally happy with where it is. My oil temp hovered around 170-180 the entire time. And I did at least 5 full wot pulls through 4th gear. Last trip out after about an hour drive I was around 215-225.
The responsiveness with the higher cruise timing is a world of difference. It’s instant now, no need to wait for the boost to build.
Krochus, I tried the lower timing at 100 and 104 kpa and didn’t notice a huge difference so I left it alone. It’s probably because I have more power everywhere except wot and I just can’t notice! Very Happy When I get enough guts to up the boost I’ll try that suggestion again. I’m confident I’ll see the boost build faster since I’ll be working with a little more.
I was also able to drop my idle jets back down some since I was rich on cruise(11.0-11.5). I went back to 50f8 on both sides. I was at 55f9 in one and 50f8 in the other. Im still on 140 mains with 1 f11 and 1 f16 emulsion tubes. Wot was 11.3-11.5 every time and solid. It didn’t climb at all.

I’d like to thank Alstrup too for his map advice!

Here’s my current map:

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

That look great!!!

It’s good to hear someone get such good results from an item instantly.

What coil are you using?

ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
I keep telling the people that digital ignition fixes almost all Volkswagen carb drivability problems but NOBODY wants to listen!! Very nice follow up

Do me a favor and try this I wanna see if it works on more vehicles than just mine. At 100 and 105 Kpa run the timing back to 25 degrees then let it ramp up like you have it now after.

Your turbo should make boost a lot harder and faster.

cool stuff and i think the OP is getting the hang of it...

the reason NOBODY wants to listen is.. due to simple... lack of willing to adapt

hahaha heck til now we see peeps think efi is over rated LOL and carb can do it.. lol

yes i love carbs but efi tuning (part of my work) is decades ahead

and since this is partly efi (ignition only)

think of it this way.. each vacuum reading/load reference is an ignition curve on its own...

so some one here can imagine.. at light load u can have a 010 like curve.. and medium load a cross between 010 and german 009 and at full load a 009 curve..

not only tat... u can tweak it on a dyno...

turbo is significantly benefiting this ALOT

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

I’m running a flamethrower II 3.0 ohm epoxy filled to go with my ignitor I
I haven’t messed with my plug gap (.028”) and don’t know if I will need to?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

Maddward wrote:
I’m running a flamethrower II 3.0 ohm epoxy filled to go with my ignitor I
I haven’t messed with my plug gap (.028”) and don’t know if I will need to?

With a 3 ohm coil probably not. You essentially have a blue coil. But if the box allows for a lower resistance coil you may want to change to something hotter. Then revisit plug gap.

Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

Ok I did some searching and could come up with an answer I liked. How would one calculate the best size venturies/chokes to use in a sidedraft draw through setup? I’m wondering if I’m under sized at the moment?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

What sizes do you have in it now? still running the 30mm?
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

30mm in it now. But I have 34's and 40's also. I know i can just swap to the larger sizes and see where the power has shifted, but I wanted to see if anybody had some math for this equation.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

see maddward, i told you that black box was badass!

as far as your map, why do you have the timing higher at 700 rmp than at 1000?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
see maddward, i told you that black box was badass!

as far as your map, why do you have the timing higher at 700 rmp than at 1000?

I do it because it generates a bit of a feedback loop forcing a more consistent idle. If you want to idle at 1000 you set the timing where you want it there. What a ramp up behind that does is as the rpm drops for whatever reason the timing advances and thus tries to push the rpm back up to where you want it. Also makes the engine harder to stall

Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

richardcraineum, what Krochus said. When Idling, if the rpm should fall below 1000 for any reason the timing helps it back up to 1000. I found it to help stabilize the idle a lot more.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Draw through Baja build Reply with quote

I'm still loving the black box by the way. Besides adding the turbo itself, it's the best $ I have spent on the car.

So does anybody have advice on what venturies/chokes to run in my 45 dcoe? I still can't find anything about it for a sidedraft setup. I understand cfm and selecting venturies when its a n/a dual carb setup, but not drawthrough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: