Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bypassing AC low pressure switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

My AC was last charged about 5 years ago (r134a). Lately it's been getting less and less cold and today when I went to turn it on I can hear the relay click on, the radiator fan turns on but the headbanger cabinet fan does not turn on. My assumption is that too much refrigerant leaked out. I am not looking for a long term solution since I'll be pulling my engine soon and opening the system anyway. What's the best way to bypass the low pressure switch and force the compressor on so I can feed it a can of 134a from FLAPS just to get a few more trips under my belt.
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Check the fuses behind the left rear pillar. Two 20amp fuses work the condenser. One on mine was blown. Don't bypass the low-pressure switch (???) just charge it with another can. R134a leaks out of the Vanagon R12 system. Switch to RedTek or Envirosafe.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Are you asking where the switch is located or how to jump it? Easiest would be to temporarily ad power at the compressor electrical compressor. Usually just connecting a can is enough to close the switch. The compressor may cycle but each time it can draw in a little more freon.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Got it - I believe the location is near the fuses inside the westy cabinet. Just to re-confirm, if the low pressure switch is the culprit, the AC fan should not go on right? or just the compressor?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

You don't say what year or if it has factory AC or Dealer Installed AC. Its very rare to need to bypass the low pressure switch for a charge.

We'd need to know more details about the AC to answer your rad fan low speed question. Not all are wired the same.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

This is a 1990 Westy with factory AC, converted to 144a

thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Looking at the wiring diagram 97.144 and 145 It appears that the low speed radiator fan works independent of the AC pressure switch. The wiring diagrams are not always 100% accurate though.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
This is a 1990 Westy with factory AC

Your 1990 does not have a low pressure switch; it has combo high-low pressure switch (the round gizmo with four wires in this photo):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And, yes, you can bypass/jump the low side (blue wires, IIRC) to engage the compressor. That's how I diagnosed a bad switch two years ago.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Got it - thank you. So it seems like i have multiple issues then
issue 1 - AC fan not turning on, will check duses, relays and grounds
issue 2 - lack of 134a - jump the blue wires on the low pressure switch and feed a can until up to temp
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were asking about the radiator fan, not the blowers on the evaporator core. The AC wiring is sort of complex and without using the wiring diagram in the manual, could be difficult to troubleshoot where the problem is. I can make out the 50 amp fuse in Kam's picture and if I had to guess, I can make out the two blower fuses in the rear corner of her picture.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

You add enough refrigerant to close the low pressure through the HIGH side with the engine off.
You will positively need to find the leak, repair the leak(s) and then evacuate the system to remove any air or moisture that has creep into the system.
There are no shortcuts if you want it to work properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I can make out the 50 amp fuse in Kam's picture and if I had to guess, I can make out the two blower fuses in the rear corner of her picture.

Here's more detail:

If the compressor is not engaging, the problem could be that the system is low on Freon; however, the hi-lo switch could also be faulty. In my case, as noted in the linked thread, every obvious electrical connection was jumped to no avail, until that pressure switch was jumped (and I knew the system was not low on Freon). The pressure switch in my van was a leak source, which wrecked the switch and related wiring/relays thanks to the liquid being gravity-fed (hence the "looped" wires with the new one).

I actually did what some others have done (not pictured): Replace the OEM 50A fuse with a 50A maxi fuse.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

All the fuses look clear... is there another good spot to check?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

You need to test them for power. Looking is not enough. A 12 volt testlight is handy to have in your arsenal.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Just to wrap this up - I ended up connecting a can of 134a, compressor spun up, I was able to get to the desired pressure, AC worked well enough for our trip and still blows cold. Thanks for all the help
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bypassing AC low pressure switch Reply with quote

Monitor it over the summer. It usually doesn't leak out slowly over five years, you develop a leak, which you have to fix.

The best way is to have your Freon 'recovered' free where I am, then put the system under vacuum for a few hours, then see if it holds vacuum

If it does, then recharge by weight - much easier than trying to do the calc for low/high/temp

Every Oring that is disturbed gets replaced.

If it holds vacuum for 4 hours, no need to replace drier.

Manifold, gauges, and pump cost about $150 from HF. I just did my tenth AC job with them, so Im down to 'shop supplies' on a per use basis.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: