Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible top recommendations
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adiavraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking to recommendations for 71 vert KG.
Can you recommend where to buy from?
Thanks!
Adi. Wink
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Hi Adi

Welcome to the Samba.

Do I understand your question correctly?
You have a 71 Ghia that needs a new top. Does that mean the frame is OK and you just need the fabric portions? Otherwise, you need to be a little more specific about your requirement.

There are several components to the Cabriolet top. Headlining, Padding , Support wires and finally the top itself which is usually made of a canvas material but sometimes is made of vinyl.

If you contact Chuck's Convertible Parts in the USA......
https://chucksconvertibleparts.com/
He may be abe to help you find what you need to solve your problem.

If you have more questions, you are welcome to ask us here.

Good luck!

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Adiavraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas.
Yes you're right. i just need to replace my current top.
The one i have now was purchsed from West coast metrics by the previous owner and after being not attended to for several years the back plastic window gone and there are some tears in the fabric and seams as well.
I guest the the padding is good and the headliner just need a good cleaning.
Heards about Chuck and got recommendations for topsonline.com as well.
need the wisdom of the crowd on this one please....
Thanks!
Adi.

sputnick60 wrote:
Hi Adi

Welcome to the Samba.

You have a 71 Ghia that needs a new top. Does that mean the frame is OK and you just need the fabric portions? Otherwise, you need to be a little more specific about your requirement.

There are several components to the Cabriolet top. Headlining, Padding , Support wires and finally the top itself which is usually made of a canvas material but sometimes is made of vinyl.

Good luck!

Nicholas
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Adiavraham wrote:
Thanks Nicholas.
Yes you're right. i just need to replace my current top.
The one i have now was purchsed from West coast metrics by the previous owner and after being not attended to for several years the back plastic window gone and there are some tears in the fabric and seams as well.
I guest the the padding is good and the headliner just need a good cleaning.
Heards about Chuck and got recommendations for topsonline.com as well.
need the wisdom of the crowd on this one please....
Thanks!
Adi.

sputnick60 wrote:
Hi Adi

Welcome to the Samba.

Good luck!

Nicholas

I would recommend Chuck's. Its pretty difficult to replace just the outer shell and have it come out right. Just redo the whole thing - headliner, padding, etc. You need to inspect the frame and bows to determine the condition. You will be ahead in the long run...and the extra cost is minimal.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Uh... a 1971 Ghia convertible should have a glass window in the rear, not plastic.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Uh... a 1971 Ghia convertible should have a glass window in the rear, not plastic.

Before the internet made sourcing parts so easy, sometimes people had to compromise . If the glass broke and the local junk yard didn't have a bunch of ghia convertibles laying around, You got a top made with a plastic window.

Seeing that Adiavraham is in Israel would make shipping of one now quite an expensive endeavor.
Adiavraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
NoDents wrote:

Before the internet made sourcing parts so easy, sometimes people had to compromise . If the glass broke and the local junk yard didn't have a bunch of ghia convertibles laying around, You got a top made with a plastic window.

Seeing that Adiavraham is in Israel would make shipping of one now quite an expensive endeavor.

Hi all,
Sadly, I think that you're correct about the version of top that i have now.
It seems that my '71 was fitted with the earlier version of a top (with the plastic window) and not the model that is supposed to be fitted with.
The options that i have now is either go with the flow and re order the top for the earlier version which will cost alot less than replacing it all with the proper version for the year which will sadly cost lot more to buy and ship to Israel.
How can i confirm that i have the earlier version (can anyone send a pic) and do you guys know if the fitting will be the same or should i expect surprises in the installation?
Cheers! Cool
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

I believe and pre-1969.5 convertible top uses a wood "tack" strip to nail down the portion that meets the body around the back, under the window. 1969.5+ uses a tension cable to hold down the back portion. In this case the body has an extra piece of metal that works as a channel for the cable. This "channel" runs about 75% of the way around (left to right sides) the back of the body.

Hope this helps.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Adiavraham wrote:
How can i confirm that i have the earlier version...and do you guys know if the fitting will be the same or should i expect surprises in the installation?

NoDents ↑ is correct in saying that mid-way thru the 1969 model year, VW changed the way the convertible top was fastened to the body along the back edge. The top you'll need for your '71 will be listed by suppliers as the one for 1969 thru 1974 cars and having a plastic rear window. Here's an example from Airhead Parts: https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/top-cover-black-vnl-w-plastic-rear-wdw/
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
EddyF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

I have to replace the top on my '74 Ghia and wanted recommendations on brands,

have seen the following recommended variously

chucksconvertibleparts.com
www.mtmfg.com
sewfineproducts.com

as well as ones sold at Wolfgang International & Jbugs.com

I'll need all the parts Top, padding, liner, cables, seals, etc
Anyone can shed a light on which one to get or help in choosing

One other thing, there is a plastic piece that covers the upper metal edge of the quarter pale that the top comes over on outer side behind door. Any idea where to get replacement

Thank you for any help
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

EddyF wrote:
I have to replace the top on my '74 Ghia and wanted recommendations on brands,

have seen the following recommended variously

chucksconvertibleparts.com
www.mtmfg.com
sewfineproducts.com

as well as ones sold at Wolfgang International & Jbugs.com

I'll need all the parts Top, padding, liner, cables, seals, etc
Anyone can shed a light on which one to get or help in choosing

One other thing, there is a plastic piece that covers the upper metal edge of the quarter pale that the top comes over on outer side behind door. Any idea where to get replacement

Thank you for any help

I buy from Chucks. Fit is good and so is the support.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

I ordered most of my top from Chucks. All was ok but had an upolstery guy install. Only downside was the top was quite tight. Upolstery guy stated I should have acquired a top that was German as the material tends to stretch a little bit. ( My material is canvas, not vinyl).

As for the plastic pieces, Airhead parts in Ventura CA has them. Currently out of stock. https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/convertible-side-panel-cover-strip-141-867-307/

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
I ordered most of my top from Chucks. All was ok but had an upolstery guy install. Only downside was the top was quite tight. Upolstery guy stated I should have acquired a top that was German as the material tends to stretch a little bit. ( My material is canvas, not vinyl).

As for the plastic pieces, Airhead parts in Ventura CA has them. Currently out of stock. https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/convertible-side-panel-cover-strip-141-867-307/

If the top closes you are fine. Its normal for it to be very tight when first installed. It will loosen up.

You can speed up the process by parking the car in the sun and then working the top open and closed.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

EddyF wrote:

Thank you for any help

Is this the part you are asking about?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It called a side panel cover strip Cane be found at https://airheadparts.com/?s=side+panel+cover+strip&post_type=product

You can check the other suppliers like MTM, JBugs, CIP1, etc...different prices if you can find. The repro's are of course not as good as original. I ordered a pair, and honestly if you can find some hobby plastic sheets at different thicknesses, you can just as easily cut a couple of strips and use a heat gun to shape. Would probably work better and much cheaper...just my 2 cents.

There are some conversations around this I think in the Convertible Top installation How To Sticky and the rivets that hold it in place.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
ghiaguy682002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

I ordered a top from chucks recently and when I opened the box the top was from TMI. So my question is, did anyone notice if theirs was too?
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

ghiaguy682002 wrote:
I ordered a top from chucks recently and when I opened the box the top was from TMI. So my question is, did anyone notice if theirs was too?

That’s surprising actually.. I ordered a top from Airhead a couple of years ago and I expected it to be TMI. To my surprise it was an ACME top when I opened the box.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Ok I’m laughing.
The only ACME products I’m familiar with are the ones from Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner.
After a quick search, I see a lot of ACME this or that. Maybe they’re a hidden gem?
TMI is also good. They’ve been catering to us VW nuts for a while now.
I have their headliner and carpet.
Everything might just depend on how the person running the sewing machine feels that particular day.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Whenever ordering a canvas top with a plastic window, be sure to get one that has the rear window stitched in place, not heat-seamed. The heat seam will eventually fail from being folded in half each time the top is lowered.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
malley56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Ok I’m laughing.
The only ACME products I’m familiar with are the ones from Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner.
After a quick search, I see a lot of ACME this or that. Maybe they’re a hidden gem?
TMI is also good. They’ve been catering to us VW nuts for a while now.
I have their headliner and carpet.
Everything might just depend on how the person running the sewing machine feels that particular day.

I actually liked the ACME top much better than the TMI that I had put on it a few years before. The ACME top had the stitched in rear window and the TMI was heat sealed. The TMI window split.. that’s why I replaced it.
ghiaguy682002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top recommendations Reply with quote

Doesn’t surprise me that the tmi top will fail after a while. I ordered my top from Chucks. I waited 6 weeks to get it. I could have drove 20 minutes to cip1 and get what I have now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: