Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

Can anyone explain what the correct feel is like when you’re pulling the guage through the valves? I know practice makes perfect, but there has got to be some way to explain how much tension it should feel like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Calve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

That happy little area between too tight & too lose is where the blade can be pushed & pulled with a bit of drag & just barely reinserted if it slides out.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

It should slide through, with just a tiny bit of drag. If you think your feeler is going to get scratched, it's too tight.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

I don't think this discussion is going to end well.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

A set of go-no-go feeler gauges makes it easy, they have a .002" step.
When you have a slight drag on the lower section and the upper wont fit you're good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
A set of go-no-go feeler gauges makes it easy, they have a .002" step.
When you have a slight drag on the lower section and the upper wont fit you're good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

X2 very handy to have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

I suppose everyone has a slightly different technique. For me, if I have to force the feeler gauge between the valve and rocker, it's too tight. If wiggling the rocker makes a clacking noise with the blade in place, it's too loose. I find this makes for pretty fast checks.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Popcorn correct is .007 won’t go but .005 is loose. Slight drag as in guage goes in and if you removed hand gauge would stay in place. Just remember especially with exhaust valves better little loose than too much tight. Very Happy
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Popcorn correct is .007 won’t go but .005 is loose. Slight drag as in guage goes in and if you removed hand gauge would stay in place. Just remember especially with exhaust valves better little loose than too much tight. Very Happy

so your saying that if the .005 is loose and the .007 doesn’t fit, the .006 should
Kind of hang in place if you let go of it...
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

buy a mic, set it to .006 and fiddle with it and the feeler gauge till you get a feel for what it should be
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

This is not a difficult procedure. If the .006 blade passes through with a “slight” drag—and, subsequently, your .007 blade won’t fit—unless you force the shit out of it—then you’re where you want to be.

If one can’t fathom the concept of what “slight” means, then you also may have trouble with the legal term “reasonable doubt”. In this case, please don’t show up for jury duty. Just pay the fine.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
This is not a difficult procedure. If the .006 blade passes through with a “slight” drag—and, subsequently, your .007 blade won’t fit—unless you force the shit out of it—then you’re where you want to be.

If one can’t fathom the concept of what “slight” means, then you also may have trouble with the legal term “reasonable doubt”. In this case, please don’t show up for jury duty. Just pay the fine.

Tim

🤓
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

Personal I like a .006-.008 go-no-go, as for what is snug, what is slight, what is loose, the silly .001 that makes the difference is irrelevant to the longevity of the engine. Course an easy although expensive cure is buy a set of steel Manley push rods set to zero lash, oh darn that creates a problem with what is and when does "zero" lash happen.

You will know when the .006 or whatever gap you use is too loose or too tight, just practice setting loose, then tight, back and forth, the right fit will become apparent. As far as I know nobody was born with micrometer fingers with built in gauging.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

easiest way if your not sure I’d bribe a competent ASE certified Mech using charm, cold drinks, food etc to show you. Also maybe visit local vo tech take a class in auto repair. John Muir has a good description in his book. The absolute best would be finding and befriending an older retired person who would take the time to teach you, there is no substitute for apprenticeship training.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have the Bentley and the John Muir book. I’ll re-read.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

I picked one a "go-no go" feeler gauge up at a AutoBone for less than $10 a few years ago when I was helping a young lady with her 70 beetle. I actually bought 2 and kept one for me. She got the hang of it in a couple of times.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=396
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

I don't have no "fancy" no-go feeler gauges.... Surprised Sad

I adjust the valve with the 0.006" feeler until there is a slight drag. Lock the nut down and make sure the 0.006" STILL fits (go gauge) AND the 0.007" feeler WONT'T FIT (no-go) between the valve and the rocker arm (or 0.007" is clearly too tight to slide thru w/o "gouging" the gauge -- be gentle). Done. Move on to the next valve.

If the 0.007" fits between, then the adjuster moved while you were locking the nut, or you didn't adjust the gap correctly.. .try again. After you doing this for all 8 valves a few times you will get the feel for it. Easy enough you can do it every oil change (3-months)!
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment/feeler guage feel Reply with quote

snug. in reality it matters little as long as there all adjusted the same.... but the way many people adjust their valves it dose not matter any way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: