Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top seal repair or replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhm8767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post on this website. In 2008 when the warranty was about to run out on my 2003 EV Weekender, my service advisor at VW Santa Monica suggested replacing the vinyl seal that runs around the lower edge of the pop top shell. He ordered an OEM replacement part, and it was installed.

As the years passed, however, the silicone adhesive that had been applied started to bubble out, as I live in a hot climate. Whatever they used is extremely sticky and difficult to remove. GoWesty said the seal doesn’t need adhesive. I’ve seen various opinions on this site both for and against.

I really like the original seal, but Steve at Karmachanix in Berkeley said that although I could probably remove the adhesive from the fiberglass using WD40, it would be extremely difficult to get it out of the inner channel of the seal itself. He recommended ordering a new aftermarket seal.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding any aspect of this issue, I would greatly appreciate your help. Specifically:

- Is there a way to salvage my current seal?
- If not, what is the best seal to order as a replacement?
- Any suggestions for someone in the Los Angeles area who would take the time to do a careful and professional installation?
Childhood Family Car: 1967 Squareback (manual/white)
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

mhm8767 wrote:
Hello, this is my first post on this website. In 2008 when the warranty was about to run out on my 2003 EV Weekender, my service advisor at VW Santa Monica suggested replacing the vinyl seal that runs around the lower edge of the pop top shell. He ordered an OEM replacement part, and it was installed.

As the years passed, however, the silicone adhesive that had been applied started to bubble out, as I live in a hot climate. Whatever they used is extremely sticky and difficult to remove. GoWesty said the seal doesn’t need adhesive. I’ve seen various opinions on this site both for and against.

I really like the original seal, but Steve at Karmachanix in Berkeley said that although I could probably remove the adhesive from the fiberglass using WD40, it would be extremely difficult to get it out of the inner channel of the seal itself. He recommended ordering a new aftermarket seal.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding any aspect of this issue, I would greatly appreciate your help. Specifically:

- Is there a way to salvage my current seal?
- If not, what is the best seal to order as a replacement?
- Any suggestions for someone in the Los Angeles area who would take the time to do a careful and professional installation?

I just ordered the one from GOWesty, about $75.00

I just installed it a week ago, really simple, no glue needed and took less than 40 minutes, although I had very little old glue to remove
mhm8767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

Ok, thanks! I really appreciate your feedback.
mhm8767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

Any other suggestions on this topic? I’m about to order the GoWesty seal, and thought I’d check in one last time.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

I also installed the GW seal. Real easy and clean. Fits tight and looks great. Go for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mhm8767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

Ok, thanks! Very Happy
vw_dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

got a seal here http://www.moore4motors.com/
was pretty happy, 3.50 pound a meter
mhm8767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

Ok, thank you!
mhm8767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top seal repair or replacement Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered the pop top seal offered by GoWesty. I knew it wasn’t OEM equipment. However, I was told it was “pretty close” to the original. Considering the other company was in the UK, I figured I’d go local.

Once it arrived, however, I was disappointed to find that, although it will fit, it feels like cheap smooth spongy generic rubber, with none of the texture and character of the hard vinyl/rubber of the original. Although this might not seem like a big deal, it is sort of like the bow tie that sets off the pop top roof.

I took another look at the “Moore4Motors” link in the UK that was provided in one of the responses. Although it doesn’t have a photo, it says it’s “high quality EPDM rubber.” Does anyone know what this means? Is it closer to the original OEM trim in terms or hardness and texture?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: